There is more than just RnT and Foiles

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

There is more than just RnT and Foiles

Postby b c g s » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:56 pm

Been on here about 2 mo. and I am wondering why everybody talks about RnT and Foiles so much? There is alot of calls that are on the market that are just as good if not better than them. Such as Illusion, Night and Hale T-lock, Carlson, Fred Zink, HS Strut, and not to mention a lot of hand made calls. I have used Foiles and RnT and think that they are good calls, dont get me wrong. But I dont think that they are any better of a call if you put the time and effort into practicing and learning how the call works. Yes the upper end calls do have a little bit of a better sound and craftmanship but if you took a no name call and won a compition with it everyone would talk about it to.

Tom

Just my 2 cents
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:59 pm

very ture
i hunt with handmades and i have always be a fan of echo for some reasons but this is another name call as well
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:00 pm

It ain't the call, it's the operator. One of these days I'm gonna be a good one!!!

:withstupid:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby DanT » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:50 am

I'm glad you started this post. It kind of got me thinking why I have over 20 RNT duck and goose calls. I also have some of the calls that you listed. I guess it gives me something to do in the off-season, it's sort of a hobby. I've kind of locked into RNT for several reasons. They have a very large selection of calls for every possible hunting scenario. Competition, woods, field, open water, my basement! The quality of their calls is exceptional. The wood call selections and finishes look and sound very good. They have a huge selection of acrylic models with just about any color combination there is. I have never had a problem with any of their products. I have sent several calls in to have the reed and cork replaced and to have them tuned and they always come back quickly and sound and operate well. It's kind of reassuring to have my calls tuned by some of the best duck callers in the country. And, speaking of that, I guess I'm a victim of modern day marketing. I probably think since they are so good, if I buy their calls........! well, you know. Truth is I'll never be world class which is fine. Last and most importantly, I have called in a lot of ducks with RNT calls and to me that is what it's really all about. It's funny though, my 73 year old dad uses a 20 year old Yentzen triple reed, and he always is and always will be a better caller than me. It truly is the caller and not necessarily the call.
I keep score by the number of times I get to hunt, not by the number of birds we get.
DanT
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:19 pm

I agree. I like RNT and that's usually what I blow, but that doesn't mean they are the best call out there. It's the operator of the call, not the call. If you go pay $130 for a call, and you've never blown one, it's not gonna make you a good caller. I think just about every call on the market are good calls. You just have to know how to blow em. I've killed ducks with anything from a $15 dollar call to a $140 dollar call. If you know how to operate them, they'll kill ducks, no matter what the make or price.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby ken h » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:14 pm

Just like what was said before I believe it is the caller. I prefer Gaston and RNT as they "fit" my calling style better. I agree that any good caller can make good notes and sounds on any call. Just like a pro golfer can play with any set of clubs but prefer ones that better suits his style of play to help him better his game. Also with that being said, if a person has more confidence in call X he will have more confidence in his abilities.

Just my .02

Ken
ken h
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:32 pm

Although im trying to get me a foiles, i use a primos, and that has been a pretty nice call.. It does the trick for me, but im thinking i need to move up a little bit
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Bret » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:43 pm

There are many good calls out there some of them are RNTs and Foiles. I own two RNTs a MVP that I started competing with and an original that was my first acrylic. both dandy calls I have also blown many Foiles calls over the years some I liked some I did not........
I like expensive acrylics and I like suporting the trade of call making.
I own custom calls from nine other makers some acrylic some wood.
I would like to :spam: some of them.
HS have a good line of customs, and the new billcollector for a poly is real nice.

Swamp thing mallard calls I like very much I have not blown the polycarbs but I have two originals both in acrylic tuned a little differant. they spit feathers.

Allen Stanleys deceiver duck calls absolutly rock and roll.

Giden makes one of the most under-rated meat calls on the market. I have one of Steves acrylics and I just ordered a coco one.$55 for a very good custom coco call is tough to beat.

Echo's recent comp record stands for itself wow!!! I have a timber.

I prostaff for Rowdy DOA game calls and call on their comp team. I love their Double Trouble, and their comp call is good enough for me to choose it as my stage call. Double troubles are a bargan starting at $60 for coco acrylic and $80 for acrylic. their comp acrylics go for $95. :spam:
They will bring out a new single reed meat call soon I can not wait.

I have been impressed by Gaston, Fowl language, Betts,and tripple M calls as well as others.
All that being said their are many good call makers out there support some of the little ones I think you might be pleasantly surprised, and I know they will apreciate your bussiness.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum