my call sounds...different

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

my call sounds...different

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:05 pm

i have a haydels game call double reed mallard call and it sounds to clean to be coming from the duck it doesn''t sound raspy and i hear other guys and see them bring in ducks with raspier sounding duck calls and i would like to know if there was like a call that was $25 and below that is good
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:10 pm

primos makes a few, duck commander, buck gardener. look on the macks prarie wing or cabelas site for info on raspy calls.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:11 pm

also try forcing more air from your gut so you almost grunt in the call to make it more raspy!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:25 pm

I definatly recommend the Duck Commander series of calls. Pretty much any of them are raspy enough. The Mule and the Classic Commander are good ones. If your looking for REAL raspy there is one called Ole' Raspy or somethin like that. And its name says it all.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:23 am

ADH13 I have blown Haydel calls for about 20 years and they are very ducky especially the DR-85, and very easy to adjust. On the single quacks or lownsome hen I do put a little voice in it , but for the welcomes and greetings etc. I don't. Don't be afraid of taking them apart to adjust them, just take note of the position of the reeds so you can get it back the way it was. To get a raspier sound make the reeds a little longer and to get a higher pitch shorten them abit. However if that dosn't work for you, the Duck Commander cut down reacher is as raspy as you could want ,but does lack in volume compared to the Haydel. A good combo would be the DR-85 and a Cut down reacher on your lanyard. Over the years I have had about 20 Haydel calls and I think I adjusted them all to get the sounds I want. : Good Luck
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:46 pm

also take into consideration that just like people, individual ducks sound different. not all of them are raspy, nor do you have to sound raspy to call ducks, some people prefer whinny, and clean and that can call ducks just as well, keep an open mind in duck calling.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:49 pm

Yes and it can change from day to day. cleaner sounds may work one day and raspy nasty stuff may work better the next. Or even from one group of birds to the next. Those Old Haydels calls have a good reputation you may even consider calling over to Haydels and seeing what Rod says about your call and how to fix it....

One of the ladies I was teaching recently had one of those DR-85s they are nasty little buggars.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:47 pm

DR-85...AWSOME... under $15. I gotta Flextone Guide Series that is a raspier, but, louder call as well, under $30. For all out snot...look for somthin' wooden and old...Mallardtone, Faulks, Folies etc. I used ta have an old rubber Olt's key hole that sounded awsome :thumbsup: It will eventally all boil down to wich one the dux like :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby dan61psu » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:27 pm

The Buck Gardner Double Nasty II is good and raspy - hear it at his site:

www.buckgardner.com
Preparing for Season One...Cant wait!

Tips? Southeast PA Hunters need a protege?
dan61psu@yahoo.com
dan61psu
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:30 pm

Ducksbeus wrote: It will eventally all boil down to wich one the dux like :yes: :yes: :yes:

That might be the most sensible thing anyone of us has ever said. :salude:

all very bottom end ducky calls for sure.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:16 pm

Aarizonaduckhunter13, my question to u would be are you adding voice to the call, double reeds already come with some voice, primos makes an excellent training video if you need to brush up on ur skills. Video is called "mastering the art" ENJOY
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:29 pm

EXTREMA wrote:also try forcing more air from your gut so you almost grunt in the call to make it more raspy!

One of my secret secrets thats very secret.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Duck Crazy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:44 pm

except thats not a very big secret :toofunny:
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum