Calling Teal

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Calling Teal

Postby birdblaster » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:15 pm

Has anyone ever called in a teal with a mallard call? Are the teal calls any good?
birdblaster
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:24 pm

IMO teal don't really respond to calling too well. The just really fly around. I love listening to people highballing at teal, cause they jsut don't seem to give a damn. Teal just go where ever the hell they want to go.
Last edited by ks_waterfowler on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:59 pm

You know, now that I think about it, you're right. I always use a mallard call and kill lots of teal. And I call at em some and they do come in. But now that I think about, about 90% of the time I have killed green wings, I've never had to call them. They just kinna snuck up on us. We'll not be payin attention, next thing we know there's 20 teal in our face. and they never once think about landing. they just buzz through the decoys and keep on movin'. 2 of us and we did manage to knock 6 out of that bunch. They were all wadded up and I think both of us got 2 with 1 shot.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Huntinracer » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:43 pm

Actually you can get Teal to work your decoys if you keep your call quiet and dont use more than 5 notes on a soft comback if they flare wide...last week I called in over 400 teal in one day using a mallard call...it is just how you play it and also helps how you have your decoys setup...thats my theory and experience with them...all you have to do is get there attention and keep it soft...
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:34 pm

What i usually do is take out my whistle and do a little peep... That turns them around a little bit. If they are kinda far off, tighten up your lips a little more and try to make a little higher pitched mallard call.. That works for the duck commanders, so it could work for you.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:23 am

yeah for teal i think you jsut ahve to keep it simple and i think it is ture almost all the teal i shot are pass shots ...
makes seice that they go wherever they want now that i think about it... but i do think they are curious birds and if you get there attention they will come and at least take a look at a spread but don;t land in it very offten
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bret » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:18 pm

Teal can and sometimes do respond to mallard calls, but you will most likely not circle them over and over. If as they fly by close enough to see your spread, and at just the right time you can give (like said earlier) that five or so note greeting very fast in cadence, high in pitch, and faint in volume. They will many times change their path on a dime and drop right in. Try it you may find it has some value. That being said.... They do respond to that peep on a whistle as well as anything.

Out here we don't have many blue wings, but what I have said works well on greenwings try it if it does not work. Well you can say that Bret don't know nothin' about calling teal.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:48 am

I use a haydels m-85 teal call and they will work to it nicely. turns them into the spread almost every time. Teal don't usually respond to this call if they are over 400 yards away and a few teal dekes in your setup don't hurt either.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:34 am

I bought one of those this summer but didn't get to try it out in teal season, maybe I'll get to during the reg. season.
quackkiller
hunter

Use a Peep!!

Postby jduck1 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:12 pm

Why would you use a mallard call on Teal? We have lots of Greenwing out here in CA and your right they don't work to a Mallard call. That's because they are Teal :withstupid: Use a 6n1 call and run a series of Peeps. Will pull them in from way out right into your decoys. If you add Teal decoys they will land on them.

jduck1 :thumbsup:
jduck1
hunter

Postby Bret » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:15 pm

Last edited by Bret on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bret
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:38 pm

Knew a guy that used a coachs whistle on them. He could turn a swarm of them after they buzzed by and were over a 100 yds out. He did it in short, fairly loud bursts until they turned back, then he'd stop. It worked, but believe they do what they darn well please for the most part and a Mallard call has no effect on them.
Cobra
hunter

Postby had » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:57 pm

i have had teal react to a mallard call alot. but like someone else said they never circle. they will fly over your head though. i have had teal land in a mallard spread also. this sat early in the morning i saw bout 6 or 7 teal come off the water bout 200 yards off gave them some greeting calls all 5 notes, i always try to use 5 notes i heard eli haydel say that once and it works for me, and they turned 90 degrees and came right to us we got three hens. i don't know why they come, mabey curiosity, but they do.

had
had
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:16 am

I've noticed that bluewingers really don't work to a call that well, but greenwingers are a different story. I can work them almost as well as mallards during regular duck season.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:18 am

HAha those damn birds are so fast. I will usually be sippinng my coffee, sleeping, or putting in a big chew and they come in, land, and leave before I can even grab my gun!

Just my experience with teal....

Mike :yes:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ffp1711 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:03 pm

I've always had them come in with little or no calling. I always have 6-10 greenwing decoys out, and when the birds see them, they will land right on top of them(even hit them sometimes). Set up so the teal are kind of in from of you so you will able to shoot before they are long gone!!
ffp1711
Newb

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:27 pm

go with the haydel's BT-85 bluewing teal call. Pretty easy to learn
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:48 am

some teal just dont care.....some will jump right into your spread with one whistle...at least here
NS39340
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:13 pm

we shoot a lot of GW's up here in the lonley northwest. don't often see many BW's. as for the GW's, i have had them come to a mallard call..mostly when you use soft quacks or a constant short "tut" "tut" "tut"... though it is possible that they would have come in regardless. damn speedy those little buggers are.... but 1 1/4oz of #4's is just the ticket for stopping them cold.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

18 replies later,.........

Postby Poke Boater » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:27 am

So far no one has mentioned mouth calling for teal. :umm: Just practice a high pitched 'Kick! Kick! Kick!' going high to lower like a Mallard hen's high ball. In September they will land in your teal decoys PDQ.

PB
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby outdoorsetc1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:02 pm

it depends on the pitch of call just becuse you have a mallard call dosent mean it sounds the same as every one else they might respond to one call better than the other. every teal I have shot had its wings locked on mallard decoys!!!
Im going fishing cuz I cant duck hunt right now!
outdoorsetc1
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum