Olt D-2

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Olt D-2

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Ok guys is it any good? Can anyone say what kind of call style? Is it real raspy?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:12 am

It was the first call I ever used and I have one on my lanyard still. They are not made anymore so even if you pick one up and it doesn't fit your style, the D2 has become a collectors item.
Raspy is more a function of how you blow as opposed to a feature of the call.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:49 am

My dad has a couple of the old keyhole ones, but they are not cut down. They don't have the range that a lot of other calls have, but IMO there is no other call that works the ducks as well as an old keyhole D-2 in the hands of someone who knows how to blow one.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:13 pm

I won one @ my club about 7 yrs ago. The newer plastic (bakelite?). Couldn't be more thankful. I'm not the best duck caller by far; but IMHO I sound quite good blowing my D-2. Big & throaty is the way I think that I would describe its sound. I can get a bit of a rasp from mine. Hard to believe that Olt's no longer in business. :thumbsdown:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:28 pm

Olt is no longer in business, but one of the guys that worked there is making reproduction Olts. Even the old keyholes and cutdowns.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:31 pm

But are they the same? I do know of the dj calls. Are they as good as the olts? Or a little different?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:36 pm

That's who I'm talking about.

I haven't blown one, so I can only tell you what I've read on other forums. Yes, they are just as good as the old ones and sound very close if not the same as the old ones.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby AZFowler » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:29 pm

If you liked the old Olt you will be very happy with Illinois River Valley Calls. Dave Sonderman and Dave Jackson are 3rd generation call makers that left and went on their own. Check out what the top callers are using at Stuggart, Arkansas. Don't be fooled by marketing, cause we pay for it.
AZFowler
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum