Calls on the Lanyard???

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Calls on the Lanyard???

Postby buster_22 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:45 am

OK here we go, I'm going on my second year of duck hunting and I have all of the gear besides GOOD CALLS. Being 19 years old I can tell you that I'am going to be into this sport of a long time. The calls I have now really suck, and I'm sick and tired of blowing them. My question to all you duck hunters is what calls do I put on my lanyard. Price really is not an issue right know, i'm more focused on what works and what does not. I want to know what guys are useing, because I open a Cabelas mag. or any other good hunting magazine and I see hundreds of calls at various price ranges. I am really frustrated, Christmas is right around the corner and those would make some good gifts, but I have no idea on what calls to pick. I hunt alot of open marsh,with tons of reeds,cattails etc... and I also hunt on a public lake with alot of houses around. Eventually I will make it up to Saginaw bay or some bigger water. I hope that helps. Please help me put some calls on my Lanyard.. Thank You for reading :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby b c g s » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:27 pm

Get the Carlson / Volochoke it will work great for all that you hunt ,,, it comes with screw in chokes ,, from loud to soft . I have had one for many years .
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:10 pm

From what I understand, I'm under the impression that you think buying maybe a more expensive or higher quality call is going to make you a better duck caller. This is not true. I'm sure you can get those calls to sound good. Just practice as much as you can, you'll get it. As for calls, I have a RNT Daisy Cutter, it's about a medium volume call and fits my style very well, works great just about anywhere, but it's not cheap. I've also got a RNT quackhead that's about $25 and I use it alot on open water or fields. Another call that I like is a Glynn Scobey arkansas style. I have used it in the timber and open water with great results. It's about $30, I got mine from him cuz his shop is about 20 minutes from me, but you can order one from cabelas. These calls may not work for you, but they do for me. They fit my style and I recommend you try them out, you might really like em. Hope this helps you out.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:55 pm

I'm 22- and I just got a Foiles Strait Meat Mallard and Strait Meat Honker calls- worth every cent.
However I did get a little deal- $94 for the SMM, and $119 for the SMH- which was strait off the lathe in Ill.- both calls are brand new.

I also throw in a DR-85 on the lanyard for a softer duckier sound
Tmoney
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:58 pm

Hey thanks for the call ideas...... How did you get the calls for a little cheaper??? I have been looking very hard at the Foiles call, and have heard great things, can you get me in on the deal? :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby ken h » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:35 pm

Go to a place that has calls that will let you blow them to see what you like the best. I have mostly RNT and Gaston for duck and make my own for goose calls. Pick up a calling cd to learn how to blow a duck call. Maybe you don't like them because you are not blowing them properly. It really makes a difference when you learn how to make the correct notes and how to present the air. You don't have to spend big $$ on a call to kill ducks.
ken h
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:53 pm

That's right, all it takes is practice, and some good instructions. I've got Fred Zink's duck calling instructional video. I really like it. There's lots of great tips in it on how to improve your calling. I feel like it helped me alot. I've killed just as many ducks with a $15 call than I have my expensive ones.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:43 pm

I have been practicing duck calling for about 3 years now, I know there is much for me to learn, so I know the in's and out's of basic quacks. There has to be a difference between a low dollar call and a high dolllar call? If you feel confident with the calls hanging around your neck, list them for me so I can take a look and maybe get some decent calls. Thanks :smile:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:55 pm

i feel good with my echo open water call and then to cut it down with my big river double reed... it is cheap but have had many people tell me that it sounds like a big money call after hereing me blow so hey i keep it ... i guess it fits my calling style which is the most inportant
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tmoney » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:25 pm

go to www.huntsmart.com- SMM=$99, SMH=$119
5% off your 1st purchase and free shipping.

I had to get the foiles tundra saver- but traded it strait up with a pro staffer of foiles for the new SMH
Tmoney
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:51 am

"Cheap" calls will work. What kinda duck are ya targetting? Saginaw Bay Im thinking divers. My "best" duck call, or atleast the one that makes the most noticable affect on ducks, is a S&H 6 in 1 whistle that cost about $6. Get ya a video or two that most reflects your kinda setup, and types of ducks your going ta see. If your in open water ya want volume, if they are coming more in your face ya may need a soft chuckle or purr, or, no calling at all will work too. Y'all have a nice day!
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum