Gardner mainstreet

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Gardner mainstreet

Postby Lurcher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:52 am

Has anyone tried/have any opinions on the Buck Gardner mainstreet call?

I live in New Zealand so I don't get any opportunity to try before I buy.

Is it very back pressure sensitive/shattery on the hail? I see it has some kind of anti stick/spit groove system, does it use a cork retainer?

How does it compare volume-wise to other comp calls (The only comp call I have for comparision is a Fowl Language)

thanks in advance
Lurcher
Lurcher
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:13 am

I know this is off topic but since I dont have any answer for you I was going to ask you about the duck hunting there. What are the limits and rules and such. Also how good is it?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Lurcher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:08 am

In New Zealand we have introduced large race (non migrator) Canadian
geese, and mallards (no mallard migration). We also have native waterfowl some of which are protected and some not and are hunted (Paradise ducks, grey ducks, native shoveler).

We have a three month duck season runs May thru July. Limits vary from province to province and range from 10-50 ducks per day. I hunt across three provinces with limits of 15, 25 and 50 birds. Baiting is legal, as are mechanical decoys, lead shot can only be used if you are hunting more than 200 metres from water.

This sounds good on paper but the hunting can be tough at times, The mallard (our main gamebird) population can fluctuate significantly from year-to-year and it is estimated (not sure that I believe this) that 40% of the mallard population is shot each year. Hunting is largely focussed on the opening weekend I would guess that most hunters don't hunt more than 1-3 times per season (I try and hunt most weekends and a few week nights after work weather allowing). I am happy if I shoot 10 or more birds if hunting by myself, that said I put A LOT of effort into scouting, talking to landowners etc to maintain good hunting continuity. A licence costs around $US50.

Canadian goose seasons vary in different provinces. Im my province (Otago) we can hunt them 24 hours a day for 11 months (except April, the month before duck season) with no limit as they are regarded as a pest by farmers. Again, despite the restrictions goose hunting can be tough, in some areas the geese get hassled a lot, stalked, sky busted etc and become very leary.
Last edited by Lurcher on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurcher
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:22 am

Wow sounds like a whole different world over there!!! Man I would have thought that it would be great to hunt there. Overall, compared to what you hear people over here say, do you think its better over there? and if so by how much? Ive even thought about flyin all the way over there when I can afford it and try to go on a few hunts.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Lurcher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:52 am

I like it here, but remember big bag limits do not always mean big bags. waterfowl guiding is not strictly legal here (although it does exist) which is fantastic because it means that private land does not get tied up by commercial interests and there are no duck hunting clubs (apart from informal collaborations). I can't imagine having to pay big dollars to have access to consistent waterfowl hunting, leasing etc and I hope I never have to.

But American duck hunting does have its attractions I like the attitude that you guys have, in that you revere and cherish watefowl hunting, take it seriously and have put alot of effort into developing good equipment for it. For instance I could not imagine anyone ever taking a bird to a taxidermist, that would generally be considered weird and a waste of money. Duck hunting is referred to as "duck shooting" in New Zealand, because in general it is not taken that seriously.

Also I like the fact that you guys have a lot more huntable and interesting looking duck and geese species.

If you are interested in New Zealand duck hunting check out the Duck Commander's Duckmen of Middle earth DVD (I'm the guy who gets a hard time for winning the calling contest and refusing to take his camo mask off). There is also an older video which Cabelas used to sell called fire in the sky which starred some friends of mine.
Lurcher
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:10 am

That video would make you think that yall have tons of birds. There was more duck killin in that movie than any other one I have ever seen. I especially like the part where yall were hunting on that creek.. :eek:

Sorry didnt mean to change the subject. I cant help you on the call but Im sure there is someone here who has one or had one. :thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

back on track

Postby Bret » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:28 am

:thumbsup:
Bucks mainstreet is not a bad comp style call for the money imo. The one I had was great in tone all the way through the scale, and ran the scale fairly easy. As for back pressure the call had some built in but hand possition was still fairly important. I think it is in most calls that are high strung enough to compete with. I would ask for some extra reeds and cork when you order so you can cut a reed that fits you. If you need help with this pm me or ask Buck. The cork seamed to have reasonable life, but I did not blow the call as much as I do my contest call. I change the cork once aweek or so in it.
One thing about the spit techs dip them before you blow them they sound much better wet.

Lurcher do you have some contests down there in Kiwi land?

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Lurcher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks Bret, Yes we do have contests here (I have won our local one two years running). This year I might try some of the other ones that are within easy driving distance. These contests are pretty basic, prizes are hunting gear and clothing. I would guess that the standard of calling here is WAY below what it is in the States. Most people here blow cheap double reeds, I'm the only guy I know who blows acrylic custom calls and short reed goose calls.

And smackaduck, the day we filmed with the Duck Commander on that creek, we had already had two days hunting it (the opening weekend) before he arrived, so the birds were tapering off! I hunt that creek every opening weekend. In that area the ducks seek heavy cover for the first few days of the season or head to sea. They wise up quickly and start using wide open, cover free places for loafing. A lot of birds loaf at sea in that area. It is not uncommon to see hundreds of mallards rafted up just behind the breakers off the coast. when the sea gets rough and the ducks have to move the hunting on nearby wetlands can be great. That creek only hunts well for the first few days of the season and from then on you would hardly shoot a duck on it. We do not bait it.
Lurcher
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:32 pm

awesome!! :thumbsup:
You have mail.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Lurcher wrote:I like it here, but remember big bag limits do not always mean big bags. waterfowl guiding is not strictly legal here (although it does exist) which is fantastic because it means that private land does not get tied up by commercial interests and there are no duck hunting clubs (apart from informal collaborations). I can't imagine having to pay big dollars to have access to consistent waterfowl hunting, leasing etc and I hope I never have to.

But American duck hunting does have its attractions I like the attitude that you guys have, in that you revere and cherish watefowl hunting, take it seriously and have put alot of effort into developing good equipment for it. For instance I could not imagine anyone ever taking a bird to a taxidermist, that would generally be considered weird and a waste of money. Duck hunting is referred to as "duck shooting" in New Zealand, because in general it is not taken that seriously.

Also I like the fact that you guys have a lot more huntable and interesting looking duck and geese species.

If you are interested in New Zealand duck hunting check out the Duck Commander's Duckmen of Middle earth DVD (I'm the guy who gets a hard time for winning the calling contest and refusing to take his camo mask off). There is also an older video which Cabelas used to sell called fire in the sky which starred some friends of mine.

No way your that guy? Your guys's native shoveler is a real beaute.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm

thats you!?! dude thats s-a-hwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeet :salude:
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:30 pm

i blow the acrylic buck brush call with the spit tech and it is faring well on stage so far. the mainstreet is a bit louder than mine but blows about the same. what i didnt like about it is it is definantly a comp call. it does not double very well in the field as it does not do down low duck very well and i cant get it to do that sweet talking squeal that i can on my buck brush. but if i were on stage with it i would be confident i just dont practice it if i cant use it in the field. i dont remember if its go tthe spit tech or not but that is the sweetest thing in the world out of all of last season my call only stuck once on me.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum