ducks on water

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

ducks on water

Postby LostDuck » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:10 am

Is it possible to call ducks off of water?

Where i hunt at i can hear hens call all morning. I can get them to talk to me ,I'll call and they will call back and that will last till i get board and Quit but very seldom will they get off the water. Is it possible to get them off the water with a call?
LostDuck
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:24 am

no
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:35 am

not likely, unless something stirs them up like an eagle or hunter.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:12 am

Are you sure that isnt another hunter calling back at you ?
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:23 pm

Hens? No, a single lonely male, it can be done with a lonesome hen call and a single hen decoy set off to the side or your rig. It works often enough to try, and I do, but it doesn't work more than 10% of the time.
Cobra
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:42 am

SOMETIMES I can get'em too swim in to the spread with a little calling but they usually won't get up and fly in. I have had teal and wood ducks get off the water and come in but never had mallards or other ducks do it.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:33 am

Last year had 6 mallards land on the other side of the hole about 70 yards away and I would blow a few soft quacks and clucks and it took about 10 minutes, but they eventually swam over to my decoys.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:21 pm

You can make a gadwall hen git up and come to you, I've done it.

She flew over our spread and landed within sight.....then she started hollering.....quack-quack-quack-quack....fast like a gadwall does.....and I called back her in the same fashion.....after about 3 or 4 exchanges she couldn't stand it and got up and came on in.....it was there she committed suicide.

Never had a mallard do it though.....we had a lone hen across the way from us that was swimming down the bank.....q-u-a-c-ck........q-u-a-c-k.....q-u-a-c-k............q-u-a-c-k...............q-u-a-c-k.............q-u-a-c-k.........I thought it was someone who was a terrible caller and once hollered at them to shutup.......but when I actually saw her swimming along I knew it was really a hen......all the calling in the world never made he shutup or come over to join us.
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:32 am

I called a mallard hen off of the water this year. It was right at shooting time and she was a 1/4 mile down the river making a bunch of noise. I called at her with quacks and the occasional drake whistle. She got real worked up and all of a sudden took off and landed right in the decoys. I know she's a hen and some will disagree with me taking her, but she was one of 4 ducks I shot this year (not from lack of effort , just didnt see many birds this year).
hawkdog
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:39 pm

It is very possible to call ducks in off the water. Ducks often raft into a spread " hunting the call ".

Hey, I am not an expert and more times than not ducks flying over keep flying when I call but I have a knack for rafting ducks in.

The key is to sound like a duck on the water and the only way you can accomplish that is to listen to a large amount of ducks on the water who are under no pressure making conversation.

Ideally, a week or two after the season ends is a good time to do this.

Do's:

Mallard Drake call ---- they love it.

Relaxed quack ---- spaced out but very faint, short and soft

Pleading Greeting every 30 minutes or so ---- " BAAAAHHHH...bah.bah "

Annoyance Clucks - Often called feed clucks. Hens do this when they are in allot of food or have a drake they want and they do not desire to have other ducks around. Ducks are gregarious and curious. They cannot stand to miss out and will come to it if they hear it. Most have heard a Hen doing this but don't recognize it. Again---soft and relaxed.

Don'ts:

DO NOT make a string of quacks close to each other ----- "quackquackquackquack" is the mallard hen distress or warning signal. Listen to what the hens say when you spook em off the water and don't say it!!!

DO NOT hail and high ball and make long drawn out note sequences. You are a relaxed, dominant hen mallard. You are very happy and your craw is full. Life is good.

DO NOT call constantly----ducks don't say much when they are relaxed; you shouldn't either.

This year, the Good Lord has been generous and I have been lucky. We had a windy day where Mallards landed into the spread and would not get up so we could shoot. They rafted off and I called them back into the spread. Ducks can be called on the water, don't ever think they cannot.

I have had Mallard, Teal and Wood Ducks come in hunting the call.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:45 pm

Why not......... if the calling is good enough why not. I hunt the San Saba river in west texas, and get woodies, jump off the water, and come land on my spread.
Last edited by texan68 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texan68
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:36 pm

I have called sitting ducks from over a 1/4 quarter of a mile away over to my spread. Last time was just last weekend. Called back and forth for almost 5 minutes...they were over on a pond close to 1/2 mile away. They were about 15 mallards in the group and when they got up I could see them...they headed staight towards me....flew over twice looking....came in....boom!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:56 pm

Could have been a fox spook them up, someone elses shots, a crow, eagle, hawk, maybe a hen let a stinky fart? Seriously, how do you know it is your direct calling that made the ducks get up off the comfortable water with all their friends and come land in your plastic blocks?

I have seen ducks for some reason or another get up and come into my decoys from the water, but I can't promise it was my expert clucking that made the birds want to get up off the water.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:12 pm

just last week, I had a pair of pintails land about 100yd off my spread I called to them and they called back for about 10 min, then they jumped off came over set there wings, and BOOM.............dead duck
texan68
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:51 am

I guess I don't know "for sure" but how does anyone ever know "for sure" anything?

Just like your answer above in this thread.

Your "no" answer sounds like your "for sure"

anyway...under my hunting condition that day...
1. no other hunters in the area.
2. I would call...they would call....
3. flew straight to me....

sure...i don't KNOW that was why they did...but how do you ever know, even when ducks are flying, that when the ducks turn and fly at you that it was your calling or whatever that caused it?
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:59 am

I'm just giving you guys a hard time. I too have had it happen where you will give a lonely single quack and all the sudden they pickup and come in. I think most the time it is birds that already know your there and are interested in your spread. I have swam many into the decoys, but thats WAY easier than picking them up off the water. It is possible, but I think a lot of luck plays into it.....

I can remember when I was a kid and there would be a bunch of ducks rafted up into the opposite bank of our pond we would use slingshots to make splashes on the other side of the ducks, then they would pick up and fly right over us......
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:52 pm

ive only seen in a few times but it can be down like everybody else said with a few low quacks and maybe a feeder here and there i would deffinatly try it if i could see a duck on the water
josh
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:29 pm

i have had it happen a few times but its pretty rare.actually had 3 geese swim in once. 1 stayed out awaze. the other 2 swam in real close. 2 geese in the bag.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby suskyducker » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:12 pm

I've done it many times.
suskyducker
Newb

Postby outdoorsetc1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:57 pm

I do it to mallards all the time!!! :thumbsup:
Im going fishing cuz I cant duck hunt right now!
outdoorsetc1
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum