Double Nasty II - good or bad?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Double Nasty II - good or bad?

Postby duckplucker » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:47 am

Is the double nasty II any good? I know ks_waterfowler likes em but waht about everybody else. Just curious, cause i just got one and was wondering if they would work fine for a 1st year caller and when i should get a new one.

Also, anyone know anything about the Primos Honky Tonk for geese? I also got one of these and was hoping you guys could tell me something bout it, like its pros and cons. Thx for any info.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:02 am

I got a doubly nasty II and for the Price I think it is a good call. It is really easy to blow, I am not very good at the feading call with it yet though. For some reason my single read calls are easier to do the feed chuckle...

I took advise from a guy on here and used duhduhduhduh instead of the feeding call and it worked wonders. Birds turned right around and put thier feet out..
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby the_migrator » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:25 pm

double nasty 2 is the best call for the money its not that loud but thats a plus when the green heads get in close the double nasty is like hen in heat its over. also try the h.s. black ice its a little louder its a sweet call for the money
the_migrator
hunter

Calls

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:18 pm

the_migrator wrote:double nasty 2 is the best call for the money its not that loud but thats a plus when the green heads get in close the double nasty is like hen in heat its over. also try the h.s. black ice its a little louder its a sweet call for the money

Holy Crap Migrator. The calls on my lanyard are a Double Nasty II, HS Black Ice, and a Drake whistle. Its like you can read my mind or something. Crazy stuff goes on here.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:28 pm

(New duck hunter here) Based on everyones suggestions I may go with your exact setup Ks Hunter. Both the Double Nasty and Black Ice sound like nice calls and easy to blow for a beginner. I might add a DR-85 in there too.
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:33 pm

Many birds have died with those calls. The key is practice. I may not be able to afford an expensive call, but I kill just as many ducks if not more with my cheap calls. All the calls on my lanyard including goose calls cost under $40.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:52 pm

What about the Primos Honky Tonk as a goose call.... Anyone know anything bout it? Plus thanks for help on the Double Nasty. :thumbsup:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby easymoney777 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:10 am

I have a honky tonk and I like it it takes a little bit of pratice but sounds goosy.
easymoney777
Newb

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:41 pm

yeah i have a frined that has a honky tonk .... if you get the backpuresure right it sounds really goosey and good esp. for the price...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:43 pm

yellowlab wrote:yeah i have a frined that has a honky tonk .... if you get the backpuresure right it sounds really goosey and good esp. for the price...but for a new caller it is kinda hard to blow and get the back pressure right... takes alot of air to operate the call
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:15 pm

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:38 pm

I love my new double nasty II its my favorite double reed that i have blown, its right next to my all time favorite h.s. bill collector, and my 6-1 duck call.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:34 pm

Listen to Buck blowing one here:

http://www.tnducks.com/calling_world_champions.aspx

Make sure Buck is displayed in the combo on the left, then pick Double Nasty 2 in the combo on the right. After it loads, click on the play button.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

DN II

Postby gracenjohn » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:55 pm

Nice find Steve.

The only thing I can add is the dog whistle on my lanyard. I have a DN II, HS Bill Collector single reed, Buck's 6-1 whistle and the dog whistle.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby Redwing24 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:11 am

I have a Double Nasty 2 and I think it is the biggest piece of crap out there. It locks up all the time, and It doesnt' sound good at all. My Quackhead will out call the DN2 anyday of the week.
Redwing24
Newb

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:14 pm

redwing, I was having the same problem and took the reeds out, cleaned them and it doesnt stick now. I can now blow as hard as I can into it without it sticking.... I still like the DR85 better for the price though, its louder and easier IMO. The DNII sounds nice for soft quacks though...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

double nasty II

Postby JamesL » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:07 pm

Dispite being long in years, I have just started to attempt learning to call and have bought a double nasty II. With in a few minutes of using, inside or outside, the call sticks! Even a hint of moisture locks it up. Just about ready scrap it and try something else. Do all calls act this way?

Thanks,
JamesL
JamesL
Newb

nice language

Postby gracenjohn » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:15 am

as sergeant Hulka said, "lighten up Francis"

whatever you do, don't hold back. Please tell us how you really feel.

john
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:21 am

James,

try a Haydel DR85. It sounds great, and doesnt seem to stick nearly as easy. For cheap calls I think its hard to beat.
should run ya right around $10
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:54 am

It also must be taken into consideration that HOW you blow the duck call can cause it to stick. You can actually be doing something incorrect inside of you mouth that makes the call SOUND like it is sticking. Examples:

*If you are not blowing HOT air, it is more apt to stick.
*Of course if you have a ton of spit running out of you mouth, it is more apt to stick. However you can overcome some of that by blowing HOT air.
*On some calls, if you blow too heavy, it can SOUND like a stick.
*Pinching your lips too tight can make it SOUND like a stick

I guess there are a ton. I blow RNT single reeds and I did snuff. That is probably one of the worst combinations you could ask for in the sticking department. Over the last year I've really worked on my calling fundamentals, like air production, and I stick my RNT calls MUCH less. So a high dollar, arguably one of the best calls on the market, RNT will stick as quick as any of them. Most of it isn't the calls fault, it is the operators fault.

You can find calls that are less apt to stick, but that doesn't speak for a calls ability to make duck sounds.

Just my opinion...
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:21 pm

haha another snuff chewer huh? I blow so much copenhagen through my calls its not funny. You can see it all over the blind flying out of my calls...... I have gotten better controling this with my spit though.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum