Folies: Strait Meat Mallard?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Folies: Strait Meat Mallard?

Postby buster_22 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:10 pm

Hey I went to Cabelas last night all excited to blow the strait meat mallard by folies, and I go to blow the Hail call and the thing freezes up. I thought it was just me so I handed it to the department person, who is very into duck hunting, tries to blow the Hail call and nothing happens!!!! So I picked another call, same type just different color and the same damn thing happened no Hail call at all. Should I stear away from that strait meat mallard call, I thought everyone loved it? I really don't want to spend that much money on a call that dosn't work, anyone use that call? how do you like it? The department Person really like the Big Guys Best duck call, and was really trying to get me to buy it. Anyone use that call ????? I hope you can all help, I really don't want Folies calls to get a bad rap. :thumbsdown:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby Tmoney » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:48 pm

sounds like operator error - j/k
It sounds like you grew up on double reed duck calls.

Blowing a single is different- you have to get the reed to kick at the beginning. Grunt real fast- then you can start blowing the hail

It also could be someone messed with the call in cabelas- and untuned the reed-
Tmoney
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:03 pm

naaaaaa actually i have a couple of single reed duck calls, and I know how to blow the hail call on them. So operator, nope I think it was the calls, but thanks anyway..... :umm:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:57 pm

I've never blown a foiles but I'd like to sometime, always wondered what they were like. I've heard the Big Guys' Best calls sound good from some from friends. Have you tried RNT? I've got a Daisy Cutter and love it, it's a great medium volume call.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:03 pm

ya i tried the daisy cutter while I was at Cabelas also, and yeah it sounded great. I had a hard time doing the feed chuckle on it, do you find that also??? :eek:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby Tmoney » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:47 pm

the rnt dc- has a smaller barrel compared to the smm- thats why its harder for the feed call

i have seen many people screw up calls- mainly at the scheels i live next to here in lincoln.
i have had to tune many calls before i tried them- more often it was goose calls- i would suggest talking to a foiles pro staffer near where you live- if you live near any of them- and try there calls- which are properly tuned by foiles staffers.
Tmoney
hunter

Postby b c g s » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:30 pm

Grunt in to the call for the hi-ball ????? If the call was mad right you should never have to (grunt) in to a call if you have to,dont get the call. I have used the foils calls and I dot think that they are that good. If you want a great call then get a calson call,, :thumbsup: Jim James know what he is doing and if you get one of his calls I would say get the volochoke. It will be the last call that you will have to buy.

Thats my .02

TOM :thumbsup:
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:41 am

bear apparently doesn't blow single reeds

you can't start blowing like you would a double- it will sqeal/sqeak- possible stick if there is moisture in the call.

I would suggest listening or watching some calling cds/dvds

RNT and foiles have some good ones. :toofunny:
Tmoney
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:48 pm

between the RNT daisy cutter & the Strait meat mallad which one do you prefer?
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby Tmoney » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:50 pm

Strait Meat Mallard

It the most popular duck call around.
Tmoney
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:10 pm

ya thats what everyone says, but I just couldn't understand why the call was sticking. How do I go about finding a folies expert, or a person around my area that knows about this perticular call to tune it? I live in Adrian MI. Thanks
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:28 pm

Yea I found that kind of hard when I first got it. After a little practice I got it. I figured out that I was blowing in too much air while trying to do it, so I backed off a little and then I got it.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby b c g s » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:38 pm

Yes the Carlson Call is a single read and I do not blow a double! If you have to grunt into the call then there is something wrong with the call or the operator! It is not a goose call you do not grunt to make sounds. And as far as that goes you dont actually gurnt you use your larynex to cause vibration in the air that is moving through the call to make the read react and vibrate more. Jim James is very good and has won the US open with his calls. Alot of his calls sound very natural for the hunter to use without grunting.

Tom :toofunny:
b c g s
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:14 pm

you use your larynex when grunting- into not a loud grunt- just add some voice to the beginning of the hail call.
then after you get the reed going- it's all strait air to get the hail.

go to www.foilesstraitmeat.com to find a pro near you.
I'm fortunate to have a pro less then 10min from my house.

the CCC calls look too big- plus the exhaust port is way too small for the volume you need when doing the hail call.

the overwhelming majority of comp. wins come from foiles and rnt

for geese- zink and foiles are at the top.
Tmoney
hunter

Postby the_migrator » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:05 pm

dont even bother with the strait meat mallard its a competition call it aint made to hunt with ive got two of them and i leave them in my bag they have a guarantee to stick and lokc up at the most critical time dont waste
your money if you are going to send that kind of money on a call get a big guys best anyways if you get a foiles call and need reeds or parts good luck their customer service is horrible sorry to discourage you
the_migrator
hunter

Postby b c g s » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:10 pm

OK ( Tmoney) Im not going to fight about it ,, and have you ever used a CCC , I bet not and the CCC are a lot louder than foils ,, and as far as not seeing that many of them out there is for the fact that it is a call that you must know how to use it . Its not a call that you can just pick up and win a comp. with. But if some one wants a foils then get one. Like I have said befor I think that alot of call's that are out there are great call's besides Foiles, RnT and Echo. I just hope that more hunters and comp. calles go with some thing a little diffrent .

TOM ,,, Thats My .02

:cool:
b c g s
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:04 pm

RNT has excellent customer service. I send them my Daisy Cutter before the beginning of each season and they put a new reed and cork in and tune it for me. All you gotta do is pay to ship it. Which is just a few dollars.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:49 pm

true - there are a lot of good calls out there

but I still can't see the CCC being louder than a SMM- due to the fact the port hole of the CCC is like 1/4 the size of the SMM

as for the SMM being too loud- you need to be more than a rookie caller to get the call down low. I suggest sticking with a double reed if you can't contorl the volume of the SMM. But with practice comes performance.
Tmoney
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:21 am

Hey all that info sounds great guys, but I'm still not sold yet. One guy tells me Carlson calls and the next I hear go with Foiles :pissed: I really don't know what to do.Thanks for all the great stuff.....!
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby mccree79 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:45 am

I have the Strait meat mallard, and I do NOT think it is as good as it's hype. I DO like Foiles' Timber Rattler, that is the call I( if I were you) would get if you want a Foiles. But to go back a few posts I would go with the RNT Diasy Cutter.
mccree79
hunter

Postby b c g s » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:40 pm

Ok Tmoney you are like what 22 LOL ,,, ok what ever you say when you are going to be at a comp. in NE. OR IA let me know ok LOL.

TOM thats my .02

:toofunny:
b c g s
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:49 pm

ok- you can bring your kazoo, I'll bring strait meat.

just admit it- you like CCC calls cuz they are local to where you live.

its the same story all across the country.
Tmoney
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum