DJ calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

DJ calls

Postby rden » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:33 pm

How many of you guys are using DJ calls? My father hasn't hunted duck in a long time and was telling me to get an Olts call. Other than ebay, I can't get any. I see that DJ calls are similar. Are they very popular? Are you using them? They are pretty cheap for a wooden call. I have been researching calls and need to buy some for my first year of duck hunting. thanks
rden
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:43 pm

DJ calls aren't bad, but I would recommend trying out some others. The duck calls are his best calls. The Sonderman sounds good but is very very loud. The Woodford isn't bad but pretty raspy. The goose calls have nothing on other brands. They're more of an old style goose call and sound sorta like a party horn. I would recommend looking around a bit for a goose call. Around the same price you can get a Winglock. I haven't used em but a lot of guys swear by em. To be honest I never thought I'd pay over 60 bucks for any kind of call but when I tried out a Grounds 007 I realized there is a difference. For duck calls look into Haydels. Good calls and good prices.
Try em before you buy em no matter what and don't follow trends, buy what sounds good to you. Good luck and I hope I've helped you a bit.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:27 pm

I've used a Sonderman 66 call from DJ calls. It was the replacement for the old OLT 66. I liked it. it fell short in a couple of aspects compared to newer calls on the market today, but it was very ducky and very much a replica of the older OLT call.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby AZFowler » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:34 pm

DJ Calls are the same, when it comes to wood calls which Dave makes it comes down to how you are using your air. All his calls are hand tuned so if it is not sounding right it is because you blow different than who tuned it. This is not the same for acrylic calls. Acrylic is very loud, that's why alot of hard core fowlers are going back to wood. All calls are tunable.
AZFowler
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:22 am

i would recommend dj calls. i own 3 olt dr-115 calls and i used the same one for 15 years and haven't changed the reed yet. it hardly squeels and it sounds raspy and like a mallard. i bought alot of plastic calls and i never use them. i own alot of calls and nothing compares to a true sounding wooden call. alot of these people think they know what a duck sounds like but have no idea. i was raised around mallards and greenwing teal so i know the sounds they make. my plastic calls squeel even though they say the don't. they are loud but sound like crap. i think you just pay for the name brand and plastic.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum