I need to get my first expensive call, but need some input

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

I need to get my first expensive call, but need some input

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:56 am

I have been hunting since I was 12 and I am a better than average caller, I know the call can't make caller. I want a soft to medium volume call(Timber Rattler) or anything that will last and be reliable???????Thanks for any help
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby KO » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:23 pm

Jason...go to kdcalls.com

If your looking for a one of a kind hunting call....you cant go wrong...
KO
hunter

Postby b c g s » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:46 pm

Well I would say get a Carlson call but thats my opinion and I think that if you would call Him ( Jim James ) and take to him about his calls or look at www.carlsoncalls.com . But if you want to get a foils then get a foils I know that the foils calls get alot of P.R. and that makes them a better call to most people.

TOM Thats my .02
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby the_migrator » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:21 pm

you said reliable call well dont go with a foiles youll be sorry and i dont know what the hpye is a bout the expensive calls go to walmart and get a haydel dr-85, a h.s. black ice and a buck garderner double nasty2 and thats all you will need and look you saved $75 i got 2 foiles a big guys best and they are on my 2 year old sons lanyard if that tell you anything fut if you decide to spent the money go with a rich n tone
the_migrator
hunter

Postby ken h » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:47 pm

Go to where you can blow different calls and choose one that suits you. Just cause you got an expensive call doesn't mean you gonna kill more ducks. I prefer RNT and Gaston. I would highly recommend a RNT hedge short barrel or Gaston timber.
ken h
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:00 pm

I've got a RNT Daisy cutter and it is a great medium volume call. Works great in the timber. I love it. Sounds great.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:40 am

yeah i am the smae i would go RNT over foils
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mccree79 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:49 am

I like the Timber Rattler, it is a good call. The RNT short barrel is good too. I think the Diasy Cutter is good also, but would say it is high volume, instead of medium volume.
mccree79
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:50 pm

The Daisy Cutter is supposed to be like a cross between a short barrel and an original, but yea it can be kind of loud. But I have had great success with it in the timber as well as fields. I would say you could use it anywhere, good all around call.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby duckbuster808 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:58 pm

ECHO Calls all the way!! lifetime warrenty and they sound great!
duckbuster808
hunter

Postby Laxguy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:13 pm

i just got an big guys best smoke n' double and it sounds great, it was kind of expensive but sounds great.
Laxguy
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:54 pm

More expensive isn't always better... i've heard guys saying that they prefer a cheaper call to an expensive one in some cases, jsut because they save money and get about the same effectiveness.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:16 am

Check Mick Lacy's Big River double reed; nice, loud as you want, soft as you want, easy to blow - if that's a factor. @$24.00 - unbeatable.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:35 am

Mark McCummins wrote:Check Mick Lacy's Big River double reed; nice, loud as you want, soft as you want, easy to blow - if that's a factor. @$24.00 - unbeatable.

Tried one out at a sporting goods store. It will be the next call to go on my lanyard.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:24 am

LUV2DUChunt,

I've fell victim to the "duck call buying bug" too many times looking for that perfect call. I've ended up with a bag full of calls that I never use. I have a couple of RNT calls, a BGB call, several ECHO calls (that, by the way are very easy to use), several Primos calls (which are are also easy to use). But the only call that I've found that actually stands up to it's waterproof claim is Cuttdown calls. I hunted at Peach Point WMA about four years ago when a cold front blew through. I was laying in the mud on the south side of a football sized water hole, trying to take advantage of cover the saltgrass provided when it came through. The wind kicked up to about 30 mph and blew all the water to my side of the pond, so I was then laying in about 6 inches of water. Wasn't about to leave or sit up above the grass though, because the birds wanted to hit the water. My calls were hanging down into the water, and my Cuttdown calls were the only calls I could simply pick up out of the water and blow with no problem. They have acrylic and wood calls priced from 30 to around 70 bucks or so. Maybe a little higher now, haven't had to buy one in a while. They are easy to blow as well. Soft quacks to screamin high balls, they do it all. You probably will need to order directly from Cuttdown though, haven't seen too many places that carry them for some reason. Sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps.
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:30 am

hey thanks for the help, I am seriously looking at the foiles timber rattler. Thanks again and good luck
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:26 pm

Take another look @ Rick Dunn's Echo calls. My burnt B-D'arc/cocobolo Echo Timber pulls em' in close every time. Simply a great all around call. :thumbsup:
"Hippies...They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

"If God didn't want us to shoot animals...then why'd he make 'em out of meat?"
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:55 pm

Swamp thing mallard calls made by world champion caller Marc Ackerman, are good calls. I use a Red Devil and I like it a lot. http://www.swampthingmallardcalls.com [/url]
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum