Best of the west calling contest.

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Best of the west calling contest.

Postby Bret » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:33 pm

I thought I would post this here as well. For anyone interested.
I hope some are coming out.
:welcome:

Bret

Carl Taylor wrote.....

I am proud to unveil the 5th Annual Best-of-the-West Duck & Goose Calling Championship held in conjunction with the International Sportsmen’s Exposition’s (ISE) at the South Town Expo Center in Sandy, Utah, March 16th-19th. In just five seasons, this event has not only become a major attraction to the serious competition callers, but to water-fowling enthusiast abroad, offering something for every one. True to the Contest Caller spirit, I am committed to continue bringing an educational twist to these events. This year’s efforts have been centered on “Calling four Conservation”, a concept where by we as hunters come to understand that “how we hunt” is equally important as “why we hunt”.

Every year, Contest Caller has brought something new to the stage, focusing on the future of the sport of water fowling and this year is no exception. First, let me announce that this year we will have on display the Federal Duck Stamp artist of the Year, Sherrie Meline Russell’s masterpiece titled Ross’ Goose. Along with Sherrie’s work, we will also have the Junior Duck Stamp artist of the year; Kerissa Nelson and her masterpiece titled “Ringneck Rendezvous”, which is featured on the 13th Junior Stamp. Additionally, our Utah resident Holly Cobb and her work titled “Cinnamon Teal”. Along with these three highly talented artists, I have invited every state in the west to send out their states junior artwork to be included. This is truly an honor to have these individuals and the other states artists represented by their work at this years Contest Caller arena. The Federal Duck Stamp Program is a serious financial resource, raising more than 700 million dollars that have gone directly to the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund, funding the purchase of more than 5 million acres of wetland habitat for inclusion into the National Wildlife Refuge System to ensure that this land will be protected and maintained for generations to come.

Another exciting feature to this year’s event is, at the Contest Caller stage, we will be hosting the 1st Annual “Utah’s Waterfowl Review”; Saturday afternoon at 2PM, we will be holding a questions & answers to a panel of waterfowl mangers and resource decision makers here in the state of Utah about the future of water fowling. Now, more than ever, there is a great deal of hot topics that are currently up for review and I felt this would be a golden opportunity for folks from all walks of life to come together and voice their concerns in a friendly environment, directly to the appropriate officials. Many of these officials will be recognized for their various ranks with the current hot topics. The make up of this panel will consist of; Utah Waterfowl Association’s Jeff Richards, Representative Steve Clark, Northern RAC member Ernie Perkins, Delta Waterfowl Rep Scott Terning and DWR’s Jim Karpowitz. I will be acting as moderator for this review, fielding questions, directed to specific individuals, with open mic time to the public. I encourage folks to forward their thoughts, opinions and questions in advance for this review to my email. Or call direct…

Additionally, I have continued the efforts to expand these competitions. This year, I have added two new divisions to the youth duck, and two to the youth goose. The categories for these two will now be broken into the following age groups: Youth-10 & under, Junior 11, 12 & 13, and the Intermediate 14, 15 & 16. There will be no registration fees for the Youth and Junior divisions.

This year’s awards line-up proves to be even bigger with $1000 pay offs for 1st place in the Open Duck, Open Goose and each of the 1st place team members to the G2 (2Man Duck). The awards and over all support have really piled in this year with a great deal of sponsorship participation across the board. With the overall growth of the Best-of-the-West, the callers in Idaho asked that we host the Idaho State contest in conjunction with the B-O-T-W series.

I am also please to announce that Delta Waterfowl will be attending this year’s show, launching their first chapter here in Utah. As a long time friend and continued supporter of Contest Caller, I look forward to working with Delta and I am optimistic about the possibilities that this opens for their organization, not to mention the direct benefits to be felt locally. Folks will be able to approach Delta Waterfowl Representatives at their booth, discussing future plans for expansion. If you have any questions relating to Delta’s Organization, or would like to become involved, please contact Scott Terning at Delta Waterfowl Organization: 888-987-3695, Or stop by for one of their scheduled seminars.

In closing, I must say how excited I am to see the overall growth of the ISE’s show. For years show go’ers have voiced their opinions about this show’s lack of waterfowl related exhibits and this years line up is bigger than ever. The Black Gold Dog Arena has exploded with participation from top ranked trainers in industry. This year, following a continued trend, the exhibitor’s list has increased with waterfowl related subjects. With show partners like Sportsman’s Warehouse, KUTV2 and Doug Miller, Eastmans’ Publishing, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Coleman, Black Gold, the international Duck Oven Society, and the Utah Division of Wildlife resources, this show will continue to be the crown jewel of shows to attend here in the west.

Thanks to the continued support from the ISE, event sponsors and enthusiast alike, this event continues to be more than just a sideshow. I look forward to seeing you guys at this year’s competition. If you have any questions, please contact me or visit the contests website listed below. All information should be PDF and printable for your ease.

Best,
Carl Taylor
801-603-9273
carl@contestcaller.com

Contest info:
http://www.contestcaller.com/utah.html
Bret
hunter

270 Seconds of Sparklers Dude!

Postby worknem » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:06 pm

Was going to Post to you tonight anyway Bret. Only a few short minutes left to do for all that work to pay off.

Get em this weekend!!! :salude:

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:16 am

Thank you Rel!

I will try my best.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum