Competition Duck Calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Competition Duck Calling

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50 pm

A member suggested that we have a thread dedicated to competition duck calling tips, questions, etc.

So I'm going to sticky this - feel free to plug away!
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Re: Competition Duck Calling

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Phil Robertson once said that he doesn't think a duck could win a duck calling contest. I always thought that was a pretty good summary of them.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Rtyler4616 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Question:

In ya'lls routine.. When you begin the feed, do you start with a kind of cut chatter like kuk kuk kuk then transition into a faster chatter with tika tika tika? How do you all prefer to do it in your routine?

What is the most important portion of the routine that would really improve your scoring or drag your score down? Or maybe a better way to put it, what seperates a winner from a loser assuming that neither really had a mistake in their routine.
"Call em in or Blow em Out"
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:10 pm

I do it all by saying "ticka", but I build into the feed. So it would be..."tic-ka..tic-ka..tic-ka..ticka, ticka, ticka, and so on"
On a score I would say overall tone and something that is not monotone, but another thing is the opening hails. My opinion on this, but I hate when someone has slow comebacks out of their hails. So that could be another thing.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Good info, just to clarify:

When you say slow comebacks Out of the hail, do you mean pauses like breaths when going down to the greeting or pauses going into the feeder? Or maybe completely off what you meant, which could easily be the case for me.
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:13 am

a duck may not win a competition but adding the competitive element to any task you attempt will improve your performance

most competition callers are able to squeeze every ounce of potential performance out of a call...which can be a good skill to possess when in the field

now, learning to read birds and use your skills effectively in the field is another thing...no matter how much you learn form imitating great call clips on youtube or practicing in your garage, this type of practice will not make you more proficient at figuring out what the birds want to hear and what will help pull them into range

this is something only time in the field will earn you.

personally, i see competition calling as a great way to hone your skills...so a sticky for pointers/advice should be a good addition to the forum
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:51 am

LA.Call'emClose wrote:a duck may not win a competition but adding the competitive element to any task you attempt will improve your performance

most competition callers are able to squeeze every ounce of potential performance out of a call...which can be a good skill to possess when in the field

now, learning to read birds and use your skills effectively in the field is another thing...no matter how much you learn form imitating great call clips on youtube or practicing in your garage, this type of practice will not make you more proficient at figuring out what the birds want to hear and what will help pull them into range

this is something only time in the field will earn you.

personally, i see competition calling as a great way to hone your skills...so a sticky for pointers/advice should be a good addition to the forum

I cant disagree with your post. But what I have learned from watching the Duck Commander is that if you know WHEN to call, you really dont need the full range that a call is capable of. A few quacks or a drake whistle at the proper time will let you kill ducks.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby SPatrick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:12 am

Rtyler4616 wrote:Question:

In ya'lls routine.. When you begin the feed, do you start with a kind of cut chatter like kuk kuk kuk then transition into a faster chatter with tika tika tika? How do you all prefer to do it in your routine?

What is the most important portion of the routine that would really improve your scoring or drag your score down? Or maybe a better way to put it, what seperates a winner from a loser assuming that neither really had a mistake in their routine.

I am by no means a seasoned main street caller but, start your feed slow with your cut feed (cuh cuh cuh) then begin to speed that up into a rolling feed (ticka ticka ticka). The portion of your routine that can keep you or cut you the most is your hail. Every judge looks for something just a bit different but this is the portion that catches the most attention.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:28 am

TomKat wrote:...what I have learned from watching the Duck Commander is that if you know WHEN to call, you really dont need the full range that a call is capable of. A few quacks or a drake whistle at the proper time will let you kill ducks.

If you're tolling everything that passes that way, it's all you need to know. But if not, you might want to learn to put more of a call's capabilities to work. A seemingly small thing like inflection can make a huge difference in what comes to the gun.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 am

TK I am not trying to bash you here at all, but most of the time the people who claim certain things don't work is because they don't understand how to do it correctly. Contests have nothing to do with your ability to kill ducks, but if you ever have the opportunity to hunt with a extremely good caller, it most definitely changes the dynamics of a hunt. Reading birds is key, however if you have a person who can read birds and do every trick in the book...game changer.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:10 am

Rick Hall wrote:
TomKat wrote:...what I have learned from watching the Duck Commander is that if you know WHEN to call, you really dont need the full range that a call is capable of. A few quacks or a drake whistle at the proper time will let you kill ducks.

If you're tolling everything that passes that way, it's all you need to know. But if not, you might want to learn to put more of a call's capabilities to work. A seemingly small thing like inflection can make a huge difference in what comes to the gun.

I agree. I have heard some fellas that have inflection. I am working on it, I am totally self taught up to this point. I would like to get some advanced DVD's etc to help me along.

The good news is that a lot of times, I am just tolling. In mid season about all we have here are mallards anyways. So knowing I am not the best caller, I think less is more for me. At my level of development, I am trying to work them in with out scaring them off.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby anatidaephobic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:00 am

Nothing wrong with being a capable duck caller and able to run a call from top to bottom. You never know when a screaming hail will break ducks or when soft clucks will seal the deal. But calling competitions are kinda like star wars conventions for duck call junkies. It takes a special kinda person to want to dress up like a storm trooper. So, if thats the kind of thing your in to, then may the force be with you!
Last edited by anatidaephobic on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm

So another question I have is about the comeback call.

Is this right or wrong?

You build up with 3? Quick strings not at full ringing hail volume, then hit 3 ringing hail call strings, then work all the way back down just like you did on your third ringing hail call at the beginning of your routine? Is the last portion of your comeback identical to the last portion of your hail call?

Apologies if my wording is a little difficult to understand
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby Teddy Sherwood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 pm

anatidaephobic wrote:Nothing wrong with being a capable duck caller and able to run a call from top to bottom. You never know when a screaming hail will break ducks or when soft clucks will seal the deal. But calling competitions are kinda like star wars conventions for duck call junkies. It takes a special kinda person to want to dress up like a storm trooper. So, if thats the kind of thing your in to, then may the force be with you!

This is perfect when describing comp calling lol ahahaha I feel like TomKat is right ducks could not win the contest but I have to disagree with all those comp haters Im sure everyone under the sun realizes that main street calling is not for hunting and that obviously ducks dont make the sounds and cadences that are heard in the contest, but thats not the point of a contest for main street style so your showing absolute control from top to bottom thats the point.
Teddy Sherwood
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Rtyler4616 wrote:Good info, just to clarify:

When you say slow comebacks Out of the hail, do you mean pauses like breaths when going down to the greeting or pauses going into the feeder? Or maybe completely off what you meant, which could easily be the case for me.

Yes people take very long breaths, which immediately kills the flow of the entire routine. This is something I have tried to perfect for a long time. It does take practice. Get your notes and everything down and then really work on the flow. Good luck!!
mayhem96
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Could any of you give me some advice on how to be a better caller? I dont want to be a comp caller, but a meat caller. Are there any dvd's etc that would help me?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:14 pm

TomKat wrote:Could any of you give me some advice on how to be a better caller? I dont want to be a comp caller, but a meat caller. Are there any dvd's etc that would help me?

The Hobo Duck Dictionary might help some. Also check out Carlson's Duck Calling from A-Z. Definitely are the best two DVD's out there from what I have heard. Going to pick up a Carlson's soon!
mayhem96
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm

I would recommend the Carlson a to z cd set to put in your truck. The dvd is a shortened version to the CD's. It is the best system I have found for learning proper calling technique.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Does anyone know if the carlson's cd covers material that the RNT cd's don't?

I also have the duck dictionary, I agree it has a lot of good info, but I have to warn you that I found it pretty boring to watch. I prefer the CDs to DVDs so I can listen to them while I drive.
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 pm

i believe this comp calling sticky will be a good thing, there has already been sum awesome information.I agree comp calling may not be how a duck sounds but it definitly helps with learning how to control your call and learn the different types of calls.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Here is how I look at a contest routine.

Hails- generally 28-40 notes long. I don't count but some judges do. You do two sets of these, followed by a set of two shorter ones generally 10-20 notes. Generally 5/8 to 3/4 of the hails are ringing notes, transitioning down into regular notes. The key is to be powerful, crisp, and smoothe. No slurring, wavering, or missing notes(falling off) is curcial. Volume is not super important as long as you are not overly quiet. Breathes are taken between 1st and 2nd hails, and 2nd hail and the set of two hails.

Breathe(optional)

Greeters- Generally a set of 2-4 hens of different pitches and cadences. Keys here are pitch change( have more than one duck), tone, and difficulty. Generally a breath is taken before the last hen to build a little drama in the routine.

Breathe

Feed- my biggest spot. This is where routines are made and broken for me. I like a good cut that sounds like ducks that flawlessly transisitions into a clean rolling feed, back into the cut and then into two different hens. Breathe(optional but suggested). Then a cut back into a roll back into a cut.

Breathe

Step up- two different hens and jump straight into a short ringing hail. The 3rd part should be 10-15 notes and not fall off. No breath in between parts.

Breathe

Comeback- 3 consecutive mini hails that come halfway down then jump back to the top. Power and smoothness are critical here.

Breathe

2nd greeter- 2-4 hens of varying pitch and cadence. Generally a breath is taken before the last hen to build drama

Breathe

2nd feed- same as first except no hens in the middle

Breathe

Close out- 3 individual quacks separated by about a second each and then a 5-6 note hen.

Do it all in 90 seconds and don't mess up
Last edited by Trevor Shannahan on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:17 am

If this thread wasn't already stickied, Trevor's post would have merited it. First time I've ever seen a contest routine laid out in writing for the benefit of guys who'd like to give it a go.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks Trevor, that's the best info I've received on how to create a routine. The breathing placement tips is what separates it from the other descriptions I've read.
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:17 pm

And when put together should sound something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8RyZmaIoMs&sns=em
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:21 pm

TomKat wrote:
LA.Call'emClose wrote:I cant disagree with your post. But what I have learned from watching the Duck Commander is that if you know WHEN to call, you really dont need the full range that a call is capable of. A few quacks or a drake whistle at the proper time will let you kill ducks.

idk how much you know about the DC but where he hunts no calling is really needed. Good, bad, or average, you are gonna get your birds there.

Try a few quacks and a drake whistle in high pressure areas and you most likely will be going home hungry
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum