Competition Duck Calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Re: Competition Duck Calling

Postby muddyfoot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:30 pm

RxDuck wrote:Could someone please explain call set up? Like what is the difference between a heavy tuned vs light tuned call? Also, where do the manufacturers generally tune their calls as far as set up? For instance, I am overpowering my MVP and having a hard time backing off enough to maintain a long hail. Would I benefit from a "heavier" tuned call? Thanks.

Sounds like it's not how heavy or light the call is set up, but more so how you are controlling your air flow into the call.
Try filling your gut with air and learn how to control the flow of what comes up and through your diaphragm turning that into hot air and don't push but pop the air.
muddyfoot
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:09 am

TomKat wrote:
LA.Call'emClose wrote:a duck may not win a competition but adding the competitive element to any task you attempt will improve your performance

most competition callers are able to squeeze every ounce of potential performance out of a call...which can be a good skill to possess when in the field

now, learning to read birds and use your skills effectively in the field is another thing...no matter how much you learn form imitating great call clips on youtube or practicing in your garage, this type of practice will not make you more proficient at figuring out what the birds want to hear and what will help pull them into range

this is something only time in the field will earn you.

personally, i see competition calling as a great way to hone your skills...so a sticky for pointers/advice should be a good addition to the forum

I cant disagree with your post. But what I have learned from watching the Duck Commander is that if you know WHEN to call, you really dont need the full range that a call is capable of. A few quacks or a drake whistle at the proper time will let you kill ducks.

Question: if the duck commander told you that the best way to attract ducks was to jump in the lake with your waders on and say "quack, quack, quack!"....would you do it? Phil Robertson isn't the duck God.....Jesus Christ...I'm so sick of hearing people say," well Phil Robertson says this" or "on Duck Commander they did this." :no:
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby muddyfoot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I agree, I just laugh when I hear people say.., or should I say "quote" what DC has said about comp calling.
I think he's a good man and nothing against him personally, but his feelings must have really got hurt when them Arkansas boys told him,his call would never win a worlds duck calling contest back in the day!

But what Phil and everyone else needs to know is Comp calling, "Main Street" style is not about the ducks and never will be!
It's about Performance of the call, it's so much that goes into it that you need a whole nother level of teaching and style in the since of Main Street.

So I, just like others have come to realize that many are called to the Waterfowl world but only a few are chosen to the Comp world.
muddyfoot
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:12 am

muddyfoot wrote:I agree, I just laugh when I hear people say.., or should I say "quote" what DC has said about comp calling.
I think he's a good man and nothing against him personally, but his feelings must have really got hurt when them Arkansas boys told him,his call would never win a worlds duck calling contest back in the day!

But what Phil and everyone else needs to know is Comp calling, "Main Street" style is not about the ducks and never will be!
It's about Performance of the call, it's so much that goes into it that you need a whole nother level of teaching and style in the since of Main Street.

So I, just like others have come to realize that many are called to the Waterfowl world but only a few are chosen to the Comp world.

Agreed :beer:
CutEmMS
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum