Competition Duck Calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Re: Competition Duck Calling

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:54 pm

thats the best information ive ever heard or found on here.Trevor when you practice whats a good way to build up your air?
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm not Trevor and have never tried it myself, but Nathan Wright, who's arguably the top specklebelly contest caller, used to swear by using a simple spirometer: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=spirometer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6372802932965775017&sa=X&ei=ist0T5udDsHEgQfghZhq&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAI
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:39 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:thats the best information ive ever heard or found on here.Trevor when you practice whats a good way to build up your air?

Can't honestly say I have a problem with air. I generally only start practicing the week before a contest. I blow 3 routines a day with 5 minutes between.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 pm

o ok well im just starting out, ima compete in the fla state comp in august. I called kevin gilreath and talked to him, he helped me a ton with tuning.i dont have anybody near me to help so ive been watching videos and lookin on the forums.But i plan to just practice until then.thanx
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:26 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:o ok well im just starting out, ima compete in the fla state comp in august. I called kevin gilreath and talked to him, he helped me a ton with tuning.i dont have anybody near me to help so ive been watching videos and lookin on the forums.But i plan to just practice until then.thanx

Kevin and Zach Raulie are both great guys and good callers. Talked to them a ton when I was going to school in FL. Kevin even came up to ST. Augustine for a day to hang out and work on his routine.

My biggest thing is that I blow a really light call. That let's me practice for a week to get a feel for the call without having to build my lungs back up.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Yea i agree he sure helped me and didnt have to.He mentioned that he went up there and you helped him. I really dont have that much trouble with my air but the part thats difficult to me is my feeds and the 3 consecutive hails , mainly the transition back up being smooth.
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby apg36820 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 pm

im guessing all of these tips are for main street style of competitions would most of the same tips be true in a meat calling contest besides the rolling feed and the ringing hail call.
apg36820
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
TomKat wrote:
LA.Call'emClose wrote:I cant disagree with your post. But what I have learned from watching the Duck Commander is that if you know WHEN to call, you really dont need the full range that a call is capable of. A few quacks or a drake whistle at the proper time will let you kill ducks.

idk how much you know about the DC but where he hunts no calling is really needed. Good, bad, or average, you are gonna get your birds there.

False.
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:o ok well im just starting out, ima compete in the fla state comp in august. I called kevin gilreath and talked to him, he helped me a ton with tuning.i dont have anybody near me to help so ive been watching videos and lookin on the forums.But i plan to just practice until then.thanx

Kevin and Zach Raulie are both great guys and good callers. Talked to them a ton when I was going to school in FL. Kevin even came up to ST. Augustine for a day to hang out and work on his routine.

My biggest thing is that I blow a really light call. That let's me practice for a week to get a feel for the call without having to build my lungs back up.

Yup, Raulie runs one of our single reeds and sounds really good on it. I had a really light Mainstreet call, but I am going to get Mark to get me more rattle. Trevor, here is a question for you...I have noticed there are some "clean (not really raspy hails like Iverson's) and ones that have more rattle and rasp (such as yours) I was going to ask Mark, but you are the pro. Does this have more to do with the call or air presentation??
Ben
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:

Yup, Raulie runs one of our single reeds and sounds really good on it. I had a really light Mainstreet call, but I am going to get Mark to get me more rattle. Trevor, here is a question for you...I have noticed there are some "clean (not really raspy hails like Iverson's) and ones that have more rattle and rasp (such as yours) I was going to ask Mark, but you are the pro. Does this have more to do with the call or air presentation??
Ben

Both
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm

XR-2 Fan wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:idk how much you know about the DC but where he hunts no calling is really needed. Good, bad, or average, you are gonna get your birds there.

False.

You hunt with him??? It's kind of a running joke in the industry that people think the DC guys are so great when they are hunting primo land. Are they good? I have no clue, they sound better than most people I know, but they aren't proving anything by where they hunt.

I hate the a duck wouldn't win a contest statement, no crap dumbazz there is a routine involved to make it not completely unjudgeable. I find it funny that generally guys that can't or couldn't compete in a contest are the ones who hate on them
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:01 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:

Ben

As Trevor said...Both
Ive got guys that given the same call one makes it sound thin and the other makes it shatter. Air control and presentation of that air plus the calls design are all blended together.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckman2525 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 pm

until i see the duck commander boys holding their own in Dave donaldson or bayou meto i'm not gonna be impressed with anything they do, they don't even make their best call anymore (cut down reacher) not knocking their calls but they don't have ANY competition where they hunt....plus they do ALOT of tree topping...and as far as contest callers go, i tried it and got pretty good on an Echo Boss but its just not for me...they are a different breed of folks thats for sure, i'm not an attention junky and don't really like the whole politics involved in main street, but thats just me....not saying that all comp callers are attention junkies either, some of them are great guys, the rest are pricks lol!
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:05 pm

plus i wouldn't be caught dead wearing a vest...comp callers are big on vests...
duckman2525
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
XR-2 Fan wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:idk how much you know about the DC but where he hunts no calling is really needed. Good, bad, or average, you are gonna get your birds there.

False.

You hunt with him??? It's kind of a running joke in the industry that people think the DC guys are so great when they are hunting primo land. Are they good? I have no clue, they sound better than most people I know, but they aren't proving anything by where they hunt.

I hate the a duck wouldn't win a contest statement, no crap dumbazz there is a routine involved to make it not completely unjudgeable. I find it funny that generally guys that can't or couldn't compete in a contest are the ones who hate on them[/quote

i agree for the most part, you probably know my good friend Andy Reeves????
duckman2525
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:54 am

duckman2525 wrote:plus i wouldn't be caught dead wearing a vest...comp callers are big on vests...

Nah, that's only the guys from RNT :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:02 am

duckman2525 wrote:plus i wouldn't be caught dead wearing a vest...comp callers are big on vests...

I can honestly say I was never big on vests until last year when I actually wore one and loved it. Now I wear them all the time lol. My company, RNT, Drake, Columbia, I got them for everything. Keeps your chest warm, but doesn't make you sweat. I can honestly say I see more average Joe hunters wearing vests than comp callers though
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
XR-2 Fan wrote:

False.

I hate the a duck wouldn't win a contest statement, no crap dumbazz there is a routine involved to make it not completely unjudgeable. I find it funny that generally guys that can't or couldn't compete in a contest are the ones who hate on them

Yes I've hunted with them and they struggle at times just like everyone else. Phil has stated in multiple videos that his spot is no "hot hole" and they have to work for their ducks and do alot of scouting just like any other hunter who wants to be successful. I will say they do better on dryer years but they can't burn em on his land if they're not there. Phil was make'n the statement about a duck not winning the duck call contest and killing piles of mallards when you were still crap'n yella and it's just kind of part of his brand and it's worked let's face it. He's stated many times that contest callers are a great bunch of guys. He was told when he started making calls that he would have to win the worlds to be successful and we know how that turned out so he must not be too much of a "dumbazz". :thumbsup:
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:

I can honestly say I was never big on vests until last year when I actually wore one and loved it. Now I wear them all the time lol. My company, RNT, Drake, Columbia, I got them for everything. Keeps your chest warm, but doesn't make you sweat. I can honestly say I see more average Joe hunters wearing vests than comp callers though

Maybe that's why Bryce and I bump heads so often: I've always pretty much lived in a vest come cooler weather.

(But the only time I comp called, it was turkey.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 am

HAHA, we're good Rick, i just like to bust chops like the rest of yall...no harm done
Last edited by duckman2525 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckman2525
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 am

"Mr. Hall" is my dad: hale and hardy at 90. Please call me "Rick".
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 am

XR-2 Fan wrote:He was told when he started making calls that he would have to win the worlds to be successful and we know how that turned out so he must not be too much of a "dumbazz". :thumbsup:

How did that turn out??? I'm sorry but I don't measure success by wealth. The only thing he succeeded in was fooling a bunch of people into buying crappy calls. Back in the day there wasnt much available, but he is still fooling a bunch of dummies out of their money. You gotta take some pride in your work, and those calls aren't anything to be proud of. Sorry just the way I look at it. His statement is out of ignorance of contests and the fact that he wouldn't have been able to win the world
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 am

I agree with Trevor on the DC statement. Those calls are not much to be proud of.
I also wear vests. And the closest I've come to main street calling is watching it from the shadows or riceland's elevator.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby XR-2 Fan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
XR-2 Fan wrote:He was told when he started making calls that he would have to win the worlds to be successful and we know how that turned out so he must not be too much of a "dumbazz". :thumbsup:

How did that turn out??? I'm sorry but I don't measure success by wealth. The only thing he succeeded in was fooling a bunch of people into buying crappy calls. Back in the day there wasnt much available, but he is still fooling a bunch of dummies out of their money. You gotta take some pride in your work, and those calls aren't anything to be proud of. Sorry just the way I look at it. His statement is out of ignorance of contests and the fact that he wouldn't have been able to win the world

A call maker coming on an internet forum and publically bashing another call maker that's been making calls since the early 70's really shows your class. Not everyone desires to spend $130+ on a duck call. They're inexpensive calls for the average user to easily make duck sounds and kill some birds. Apparently judging by their sales and their multi million dollar worth there's just a few people out there who disagree with you and do just fine with those crappy calls. I think if you really knew this family and the good they have done outside of the duck call scene you would think differently.
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:49 pm

i don't have a problem with any call maker, but i would like to see the DC boys come hunt some public timber and see how they do...
duckman2525
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum