Competition Duck Calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Re: Competition Duck Calling

Postby XR-2 Fan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:03 pm

duckman2525 wrote:i don't have a problem with any call maker, but i would like to see the DC boys come hunt some public timber and see how they do...

:huh:
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
XR-2 Fan wrote:He was told when he started making calls that he would have to win the worlds to be successful and we know how that turned out so he must not be too much of a "dumbazz". :thumbsup:

How did that turn out??? I'm sorry but I don't measure success by wealth. The only thing he succeeded in was fooling a bunch of people into buying crappy calls. Back in the day there wasnt much available, but he is still fooling a bunch of dummies out of their money. You gotta take some pride in your work, and those calls aren't anything to be proud of. Sorry just the way I look at it. His statement is out of ignorance of contests and the fact that he wouldn't have been able to win the world[/quote]

BINGO :lol: I have yet to find a halfway decent DC call. They all have too much rasp and the only thing I have liked is that in his Ol' Raspy it has a decent feed, but that's it. It's almost like he is lying to people and it wouldn't surprise me if most of those ducks they kill are domestic :fingerpt: Probably live their all the time and they show the spots where the ducks don't like and they make it look like they have to "work"!? Bottom line is make a few good calls and if you can kill ducks than fine. All my friends keep buying DC calls just because Phil kills ducks. I think it is an understatement to even call them "duck" calls. Their wood duck call isn't bad, but then again anyone can make a wood duck call :yes:

But, he is pretty nice, but that doesn't take away the fact that he is a hypocrite!
mayhem96
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:27 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:
XR-2 Fan wrote:He was told when he started making calls that he would have to win the worlds to be successful and we know how that turned out so he must not be too much of a "dumbazz". :thumbsup:

How did that turn out??? I'm sorry but I don't measure success by wealth. The only thing he succeeded in was fooling a bunch of people into buying crappy calls. Back in the day there wasnt much available, but he is still fooling a bunch of dummies out of their money. You gotta take some pride in your work, and those calls aren't anything to be proud of. Sorry just the way I look at it. His statement is out of ignorance of contests and the fact that he wouldn't have been able to win the world

BINGO :lol: I have yet to find a halfway decent DC call. They all have too much rasp and the only thing I have liked is that in his Ol' Raspy it has a decent feed, but that's it. It's almost like he is lying to people and it wouldn't surprise me if most of those ducks they kill are domestic :fingerpt: Probably live their all the time and they show the spots where the ducks don't like and they make it look like they have to "work"!? Bottom line is make a few good calls and if you can kill ducks than fine. All my friends keep buying DC calls just because Phil kills ducks. I think it is an understatement to even call them "duck" calls. Their wood duck call isn't bad, but then again anyone can make a wood duck call :yes:

But, he is pretty nice, but that doesn't take away the fact that he is a hypocrite![/quote]

How is he a hypocrite?
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 pm

XR-2 Fan wrote:
duckman2525 wrote:i don't have a problem with any call maker, but i would like to see the DC boys come hunt some public timber and see how they do...

:huh:

if they are as good as they say they are they shouldn't have a problem shutting the woods down......... :grooving:
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

XR-2 Fan wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:

How did that turn out??? I'm sorry but I don't measure success by wealth. The only thing he succeeded in was fooling a bunch of people into buying crappy calls. Back in the day there wasnt much available, but he is still fooling a bunch of dummies out of their money. You gotta take some pride in your work, and those calls aren't anything to be proud of. Sorry just the way I look at it. His statement is out of ignorance of contests and the fact that he wouldn't have been able to win the world

A call maker coming on an internet forum and publically bashing another call maker that's been making calls since the early 70's really shows your class. Not everyone desires to spend $130+ on a duck call. They're inexpensive calls for the average user to easily make duck sounds and kill some birds. Apparently judging by their sales and their multi million dollar worth there's just a few people out there who disagree with you and do just fine with those crappy calls. I think if you really knew this family and the good they have done outside of the duck call scene you would think differently.

How long they have been making calls has nothing to do with it. Besides, 99% of what i make are goose calls. They arent even competitors of mine so i have nothing to gain.

Like I said, I don't base success on wealth or sales. Primos and Haydels sell tons of calls too, they are still sub par sounding calls. like I said take some pride in your work. Design a good sounding call and mold it and sell it cheap if cheap is what you are after
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Well, not really a hypocrite persay, but he says his calls are awesome and he (to me) is leading people the wrong way.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby anatidaephobic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I dont see why everyone is hatin' on the DC so much and calling his product crappy. I dont see him doing much different than RNT, Echo, or Zink. DC offers acrylic calls, cocobola calls, poly/wood calls, and poly calls. About the same thing as what other call companys do. Ive had poly RNT and echo calls that both developed fractures but im not going to say they make crappy calls based on their bottom line of calls. Phil Robertson is quite the rock star in the duck hunting industry so until you have someone asking for your autograph i wouldnt hate on him too much. I mean seriously, ask most any duck hunter who won the latest calling competition and most wouldnt have a clue, but ask them if they know who the duck commander is and see what they say. Some ppl just want an inexpensive call thats easy to make sound like a duck.
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:16 pm

anatidaephobic wrote:I dont see why everyone is hatin' on the DC so much and calling his product crappy. I dont see him doing much different than RNT, Echo, or Zink. DC offers acrylic calls, cocobola calls, poly/wood calls, and poly calls. About the same thing as what other call companys do. Ive had poly RNT and echo calls that both developed fractures but im not going to say they make crappy calls based on their bottom line of calls. Phil Robertson is quite the rock star in the duck hunting industry so until you have someone asking for your autograph i wouldnt hate on him too much. I mean seriously, ask most any duck hunter who won the latest calling competition and most wouldnt have a clue, but ask them if they know who the duck commander is and see what they say. Some ppl just want an inexpensive call thats easy to make sound like a duck.

I could care less the material. I'm talking sound quality, and in that regard he is very different than the companies you mentioned and not in a good way.

What do autographs have to do with anything??? I mean I have had people ask for mine, but that doesn't mean crap really. The fact that people think there are rock stars in the industry is what is wrong with hunting today. Just that phrase rock star in the industry is a joke. Hunters have really lost sight of what the sport is truly about
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
anatidaephobic wrote:I dont see why everyone is hatin' on the DC so much and calling his product crappy. I dont see him doing much different than RNT, Echo, or Zink. DC offers acrylic calls, cocobola calls, poly/wood calls, and poly calls. About the same thing as what other call companys do. Ive had poly RNT and echo calls that both developed fractures but im not going to say they make crappy calls based on their bottom line of calls. Phil Robertson is quite the rock star in the duck hunting industry so until you have someone asking for your autograph i wouldnt hate on him too much. I mean seriously, ask most any duck hunter who won the latest calling competition and most wouldnt have a clue, but ask them if they know who the duck commander is and see what they say. Some ppl just want an inexpensive call thats easy to make sound like a duck.

I could care less the material. I'm talking sound quality, and in that regard he is very different than the companies you mentioned and not in a good way.

What do autographs have to do with anything??? I mean I have had people ask for mine, but that doesn't mean crap really. The fact that people think there are rock stars in the industry is what is wrong with hunting today. Just that phrase rock star in the industry is a joke. Hunters have really lost sight of what the sport is truly about

Well in my opinion, when you can't make a duck call sound like a duck and it sounds like a dying squirrel, that's a problem :eek:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Gather you high-minded fellows don't know how jealous you sound.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 pm

He does make a good woodie call, though :lol:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:55 am

Calling competitions are about call operation. Show caseing ones ability to get the call to do many many different things. And though, two callers may be blowing the same routine it can all sound so very different. The art, of the art science of call operation.

One takes those skills, then applies it out in the field.....while reading ducks. its that simple.

Better a skilled operator offers more trickes in the bag. Sometimes everything works, sometimes nothing works. Then, sometime thee spot makes a caller a great caller. Sometimes, a great caller may just hit that one sequence one time on that one set and bags the only birds on the marsh.

I understand the DC's view. Fine with me. If he can get hunters not interested in the comp or 135 bone line to get a call...work the call...bag some birds, I'm all for it. it may not do well on a meat stage, but the reality is in the hands of good operators they do call a lot of birds. I personally don't care if a guy is impressed with comp calling. I just want to hear some good calling in the marsh, regardless.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:33 am

blackdog58 wrote:I just want to hear some good calling in the marsh, regardless.

You're a more generous soul than I. I hope not to hear anything different than the last however-many callers that banged at the birds.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:16 am

Trevor, do live ducks sound "crappy" or "sub par" compared to your standards?
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:30 am

XR-2 Fan wrote:Trevor, do live ducks sound "crappy" or "sub par" compared to your standards?

:clapping: :clapping:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 am

this thread does nothing but veryify to myself why i got out of contest calling and everything related to contest calling....glad i went back to an olt after reading this entire thread, i love duck hunting, i hate duck hunters
duckman2525
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 am

duckman2525 wrote:this thread does nothing but veryify to myself why i got out of contest calling and everything related to contest calling....glad i went back to an olt after reading this entire thread, i love duck hunting, i hate duck hunters

I never got into the contest thing but amen!
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 am

What a great thread :clapping:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:42 pm

XR-2 Fan wrote:Trevor, do live ducks sound "crappy" or "sub par" compared to your standards?

Nope.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Meatss » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 am

This thread proves 3 things:

1. Trevor is a ****

2. mayhem96 knows NOTHING and should keep quiet. As a 15yr old kid that had a thread last week asking how to do a hail call you should not offer advise or opinions.

3. duckman2525 is about as arrogant as they come and thinks the only people that can kill ducks hunt arkieland and use olts.

Lets get back to what this thread is about...............Contest Calling.

Its not a bash Phil and the boys thread.

Carry on ladies :thumbsup:

Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:09 am

Meatss wrote:This thread proves 3 things:

1. Trevor is a ****

2. mayhem96 knows NOTHING and should keep quiet. As a 15yr old kid that had a thread last week asking how to do a hail call you should not offer advise or opinions.

3. duckman2525 is about as arrogant as they come and thinks the only people that can kill ducks hunt arkieland and use olts.

So listen hear...Several guys from LCC has helped me. So has Trevor and Ron Laun. So I am sharing what I know and trying to help other people get into contest calling the way I did. Second of all, I was not asking HOW TO do a hail, I was asking why I was getting some much rasp and my problem was back pressure. I was doing more of a buzz honk than a hail. And, I wasn't hitting the front part hard enough.

Maybe you're just jealous or something, but for starting back in the fall I consider myself a pretty darn good caller.
P.S. If you are ever in NC, we will do some huntin' and maybe blow some DC calls :lol:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:18 pm

[quote="Meatss"]This thread proves 3 things:

1. Trevor is a ****

Arrogant, no...confident, yes!...and i don't think that at all...people all over the world kill ducks and use many different calls, i have my personal preferences but i'm not trying to push them over on you...i just agree that the dc boys are way overrated, all they do is go on invite hunts or hunt private land and they have some pretty big claims....i was just saying that if they were indeed that good they should try out some pubic timber and shut the woods down with all their mad skills! Until i see them on camera holding their own in public timber (some of the most competitive hunting on the planet) i'm calling bs on their greatness. I know you can take a DC call the woods and do just fine with it but those guys are far from "duck gods".....and fyi, every now and then i blow an echo too!!! have a great day fella!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby chris_k » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 pm

duckman2525 wrote:

1. Trevor is a ****

Arrogant, no...confident, yes!...and i don't think that at all...people all over the world kill ducks and use many different calls, i have my personal preferences but i'm not trying to push them over on you...i just agree that the dc boys are way overrated, all they do is go on invite hunts or hunt private land and they have some pretty big claims....i was just saying that if they were indeed that good they should try out some pubic timber and shut the woods down with all their mad skills! Until i see them on camera holding their own in public timber (some of the most competitive hunting on the planet) i'm calling bs on their greatness. I know you can take a DC call the woods and do just fine with it but those guys are far from "duck gods".....and fyi, every now and then i blow an echo too!!! have a great day fella!

Killing ducks in Arkansas' Public Timber is easy compared to killing ducks down here in Florida. If you are into competitiveness, take a trip down to Florida. They don't call Florida duck hunters the best in North America for no reason. Down here, duck hunters are plentiful and ducks are weary and scarce.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm not arguing that, just stating my opinion on the duck commander gods
duckman2525
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm

1. Trevor is a ****

You forgot to add
4. Meats is a stalker, that only thinks Trevor is a **** because he is frustrated that he can't stop thinking about Trevors ****.

End of story
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum