Competition Duck Calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Re: Competition Duck Calling

Postby duckman2525 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 pm

I wouldn't say killing ducks on public ground is easy, if it was everyone would do it...and i've never heard that Florida boys are the best duck hunters, heck i didn't think florida even had mallards....i'd say anyone who can consistently kill their limit day in and day out regardless of where they hunt or what they hunt is doing something right...
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:05 pm

There ain't no mallards here we just get by with wut we can but I have to say we did pretty well huntin in Arkansas for our first time ever stepping foot on that area.away back to the contest thing.After your first feeds n a routine and you go into your comeback do u have to go straight into your next hail without a breath?I would guess its probably better to.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:07 pm

chris_k wrote:Killing ducks in Arkansas' Public Timber is easy compared to killing ducks down here in Florida. If you are into competitiveness, take a trip down to Florida. They don't call Florida duck hunters the best in North America for no reason. Down here, duck hunters are plentiful and ducks are weary and scarce.

hahahahaha. Best in North America??? I lived in FL dude, you aren't hunting mallards, you are hunting whistlers. Honestly to me if it doesnt quack it shouldn't be considered duck hunting. Oh yea I slay woodies and teal, but it doesn't show anything other than I have have good spots. To me the public land hunters in AR and CA are the best duck hunters. Tons of pressure. You havent seen pressure until you go to their WMAs. I would like to see them hunt MD WMAs though with medium pressure, but very few ducks, that would be interesting.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
chris_k wrote:Killing ducks in Arkansas' Public Timber is easy compared to killing ducks down here in Florida. If you are into competitiveness, take a trip down to Florida. They don't call Florida duck hunters the best in North America for no reason. Down here, duck hunters are plentiful and ducks are weary and scarce.

hahahahaha. Best in North America??? I lived in FL dude, you aren't hunting mallards, you are hunting whistlers. Honestly to me if it doesnt quack it shouldn't be considered duck hunting. Oh yea I slay woodies and teal, but it doesn't show anything other than I have have good spots. To me the public land hunters in AR and CA are the best duck hunters. Tons of pressure. You havent seen pressure until you go to their WMAs. I would like to see them hunt MD WMAs though with medium pressure, but very few ducks, that would be interesting.

Maybe best in America for coots :eek: Most likely seeing Florida mottled duck, which is a poor man's black duck :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
Meatss wrote:This thread proves 3 things:

1. Trevor is a ****

2. mayhem96 knows NOTHING and should keep quiet. As a 15yr old kid that had a thread last week asking how to do a hail call you should not offer advise or opinions.

3. duckman2525 is about as arrogant as they come and thinks the only people that can kill ducks hunt arkieland and use olts.

Lets get back to what this thread is about...............Contest Calling.

Its not a bash Phil and the boys thread.

Carry on ladies :thumbsup:

You forgot to add
4. Meats is a stalker, that only thinks Trevor is a **** because he is frustrated that he can't stop thinking about Trevors ****.

End of story

:lol: OUCH!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:05 pm

chris_k wrote:They don't call Florida duck hunters the best in North America for no reason.

Really....who says that.... Florida duck hunters??? I have been to Florida. Ducks get so close you can knock them out of the air with a baseball bat.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 pm

This thread started out really good and then turned into the same old pissing contest about who is the greatest and where the hardest place to kill ducks is. The reality is that it is hard to kill ducks in all places and it is easy to kill ducks in all places depending on a great multitude of factors.
As far as contest calling, I am humbled by the abilities of some of the callers and the capabilities they have with their calling. Being able to control these calls in a competitive way is admirable and I take my hat off to those people. I am not one of those that can compete with these people let alone keep my crap together on stage in front of a bunch of people. However that has not kept me from being a very decent duck caller. When you call ducks you have got to know what the ducks want and when. If they want the power, give it to them. If they want you to shut up, shut up! It is our own ego's and lack of experience that allows many ducks to reproduce every year! I usually hunt public ground with lots of pressure and I see it quite often when somebody will call at ducks and they turn inside out! Be humble and learn from that, change what you are doing until you fit into the equation! That is where a competition caller that has duck reading experience has the advantage. They possess a wider array of vocalizations that can be used compared to the average hunter. Notice I did not say all hunters, just average hunters. There are plenty of good ole boys in the swamp that can kill ducks day in and day out and not compete in a contest. That is my rant for this evening, remember we are all on the same side! Learn from each other and game on!!! :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Cujo1 wrote:This thread started out really good and then turned into the same old pissing contest about who is the greatest and where the hardest place to kill ducks is. The reality is that it is hard to kill ducks in all places and it is easy to kill ducks in all places depending on a great multitude of factors.
As far as contest calling, I am humbled by the abilities of some of the callers and the capabilities they have with their calling. Being able to control these calls in a competitive way is admirable and I take my hat off to those people. I am not one of those that can compete with these people let alone keep my crap together on stage in front of a bunch of people. However that has not kept me from being a very decent duck caller. When you call ducks you have got to know what the ducks want and when. If they want the power, give it to them. If they want you to shut up, shut up! It is our own ego's and lack of experience that allows many ducks to reproduce every year! I usually hunt public ground with lots of pressure and I see it quite often when somebody will call at ducks and they turn inside out! Be humble and learn from that, change what you are doing until you fit into the equation! That is where a competition caller that has duck reading experience has the advantage. They possess a wider array of vocalizations that can be used compared to the average hunter. Notice I did not say all hunters, just average hunters. There are plenty of good ole boys in the swamp that can kill ducks day in and day out and not compete in a contest. That is my rant for this evening, remember we are all on the same side! Learn from each other and game on!!! :thumbsup:

10-4...nice post!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:48 pm

duckman2525 wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:This thread started out really good and then turned into the same old pissing contest about who is the greatest and where the hardest place to kill ducks is. The reality is that it is hard to kill ducks in all places and it is easy to kill ducks in all places depending on a great multitude of factors.

10-4...nice post!

Thank You!
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 am

This thread makes me sad.
Bret
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 am

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:There ain't no mallards here we just get by with wut we can but I have to say we did pretty well huntin in Arkansas for our first time ever stepping foot on that area.away back to the contest thing.After your first feeds n a routine and you go into your comeback do u have to go straight into your next hail without a breath?I would guess its probably better to.

Correct, no breath before that hail. I would love the **** measuring contest to be over at anytime btw. This gets old, if you would all like to talk about how awesome you are at duck killing, start another thread.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby jrode237 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:46 am

SPatrick wrote:
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:There ain't no mallards here we just get by with wut we can but I have to say we did pretty well huntin in Arkansas for our first time ever stepping foot on that area.away back to the contest thing.After your first feeds n a routine and you go into your comeback do u have to go straight into your next hail without a breath?I would guess its probably better to.

Correct, no breath before that hail. I would love the **** measuring contest to be over at anytime btw. This gets old, if you would all like to talk about how awesome you are at duck killing, start another thread.

Exactly. Would it be possible for the mod to delete all the posts not relevant to this thread? That'd leave it with what, maybe 10 posts? Kind of embarassing to all involved IMHO.
jrode237
hunter

Postby thunderroad » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:Like I said, I don't base success on wealth or sales. Primos and Haydels sell tons of calls too, they are still sub par sounding calls. like I said take some pride in your work. Design a good sounding call and mold it and sell it cheap if cheap is what you are after

I have a DR85 tuned as a single that begs to differ. Its the duckiest tune that Ive ever heard come out of a call. I love a good cutdown or acrylic, too, but dont say that they Haydel is inferior...Just aint true.

Brian
thunderroad
hunter

Postby thunderroad » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:05 am

Sorry I guess I should say the call ISNT pretty, has no color, not exactly comofy to blow, BUT it calls in and has helped me kill ducks upon ducks. But maybe killing ducks doesnt matter :no:
thunderroad
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Anyone know when the next contest on the east coast is?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Gents,

If you want to hash out all your crap then take it somewhere else!!!!!

This thread is about contest calling and needs to some degree stay that way. What it takes, routines, some politics, judging etc will help guys out. If you dont like contest calling and have nothing good to add or a legit question then dont post.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Id like to know when the Fla state competition will be i know its in august but does anybody know who to call or when it will be posted.
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Still to early, but Callingducks.com will have it up ASAP :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 pm

I've seen this question asked a lot but I've never really seen any answer.what r sum calls that r good together n two man meat comp. And also is the routine usually done like a one man?
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:16 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:I've seen this question asked a lot but I've never really seen any answer.what r sum calls that r good together n two man meat comp. And also is the routine usually done like a one man?

Any mid-range call and Youtube Tyler Merritt and Kent Cullum and you will see what I am talkin' bout :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Here's a winning 2-man from CA I bookmarked for the Microhen (khaki shirt) soundfile. Pretty sure black shirt is running a Lares T-5.

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:I've seen this question asked a lot but I've never really seen any answer.what r sum calls that r good together n two man meat comp. And also is the routine usually done like a one man?

Any two close to each other in volume. You don't want one drowning the other out

Here is example of 2 Field Proven Shot Callers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqDNdn9HCho&sns=em

And here is an example of 2 ASGC Deceivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7snVp3u1xo&sns=em
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Hey Trevor,

When you get a chance, do you think you could give us a layout of the meat/live duck routine similar to the way you did for the main street routine?
"Call em in or Blow em Out"
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue May 01, 2012 9:43 am

Rtyler4616 wrote:Hey Trevor,

When you get a chance, do you think you could give us a layout of the meat/live duck routine similar to the way you did for the main street routine?

I have a video breakdown of a meat routine on my YouTube account. It's basically a main street routine without ringing hails and rolling feed, and with a little less structure. There isn't any format for live so I can't really help you there
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 am

I literally just PM'd you, I'll check out the video thanks.
"Call em in or Blow em Out"
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum