The Best Duck Hunters in North America?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:39 am

chris_k wrote:Killing ducks in Arkansas' Public Timber is easy compared to killing ducks down here in Florida. If you are into competitiveness, take a trip down to Florida. They don't call Florida duck hunters the best in North America for no reason. Down here, duck hunters are plentiful and ducks are weary and scarce.

Chris, I'm not reposting that quote from another thread here to pick on you, but because I think you make a valid point. It's tough to kill ducks where birds are scarce and hunters plentiful. And I thought it might be a fun topic to kick around on its own thread, rather than further jacking the one it appeared on.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Re: The Best Duck Hunters in North America?

Postby mccree79 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 am

Oh, crap.....here we go.

I am going with Illinois. 50% of the callers are good enough to get on stage and they throw a lot of money behind the hunt....decoys, crops, water, blinds and other gadgets. I know some will say toys don't make you a good hunter...which they don't. But the same in business and military...those with the biggest and best toys usually win.

Disclaimer: Only hunted Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana and Florida. So I have a limited perspective on this question. 80% of hunting, if not more occurs in Illinois. So I may be a little biased here.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Towduck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:54 am

I've always heard the best hunters are from Louisiana but the best callers are from Arkansas
INSANE DUCK POSSE
FIRST 5
Towduck
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

Towduck wrote:I've always heard the best hunters are from Louisiana but the best callers are from Arkansas

Louisiana duck blind:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby chris_k » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am

My comment about being the best was not serious. I know there are a lot of great hunters all over the US and Canada. But sometimes I ask myself during duck season, how many people do the things we do. Put out at midnight, hunt til sunset, wade in waters with 12 foot gators at arm reach length, scout like a maniac, all for a ring neck or two. The amount of effort is immense. A lot of hunters in Arkansas ride to their holes late at 4 am, park their boat at 10 yards from the hole and complain when they don't get a limit. A lot of hunters up north get spoiled. Get gotta fight for every duck.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:20 am

chris_k wrote: A lot of hunters up north get spoiled.

Would that be like when you are picking up the decoys and the geese are still landing 10 yards from you???? If so, yes there is a chance of being spooled up north. Of Course, I have had the same thing happen with ducks down south.
mccree79
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:22 am

Putting out 800 snow goose decoys at 3 am in the morning just to have a handful of snow geese give you a look, hunting till sunset, then repeating the same thing 60 miles north or south of me the next morning doesn't sound too spoiled to me. Then dealing with weather that can change from 70 degrees to -15 degrees doesn't sound too spoiled.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 am

NC is the sky-busting capital :fingerpt:
People set up literally 25-30 yards from you and shoot at ducks 200 yards in the air. And don't even get me started on sky-busting geese. Gear does not make you the best hunter in the world, but it does sometimes give you an upper hand if you have a nice spread and a nice blind (with eggs and bacon) :beer:
I have seen people hunt for divers on the coast and use painted milk jugs to decoy birds. This goes to show you that if you are where the birds want to be, you don't have to put out tons of decoys and do tons of calling. Just because you have the most expensive boat and hundred's of decoys, that doesn't take away the fact that you don't have to scout. Now, with that said, It is always nice to be where the birds are, but every once and a while it is also fun to run some traffic. A good hunter is someone who can day in and day out deal with conditions and prevail. Now he might not kill his limit everyday, but you can tell when you are doing something right. It is someone who tells himself it is not about killing. To me a successful hunt is having a good time with your friends and shooting some wood ducks and mergansers (got to take what you can get) :thumbsup:

Seriously great topic Rick :clapping:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:57 am

I think great hunters are spread out across the country. The difference from great hunters versus good hunters versus lousy hunters is how much one is willing to work at their craft. I am in NH and this state is far away from being a hot destination for puddle ducks and geese, but if you scout, practice your calling, and hunt smart you can get your limit daily.

Decoys and calling are great but what works here probably will not down in Arkansas or Maryland or North. The ability to recognize that and adjust to the location is key.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby muskyduck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:55 am

Inland WI... No picnic. You got the Great Mississippi to the West, and you got Lake Michigan to the East. Where are the birds? To the East and West of the state. Plus we are right inbetween the Canadian prairie and the Eastern shore, so our general migration is fairly small compared to the areas around us. Gettin a limit is not an easy thing to do inside the state. The amount of water in WI is huge. Well over 10,000 classisifed lakes in the state (that doesn't include smaller ponds or marsh and swamp land), and most is surrounded by timber so the nesting habitat for mallards and geese is limited, but amazing for woodducks. This keeps ducks pretty spread out. Makes it extremely hard to find a HUNTABLE concentration of ducks, year round, inside the state. Field hunting is also difficult, because most farms are 200 acres or smaller and other then the southern part of the state, most private parsals are 40 acres or less now. So many old farm homesteads have been divided and pieced off for more land profit. We just don't have the large fields that the dakotas, iowa, kansas, and southern illinois have.

Not to mention the hunters. No one knows how to call, but they think they do. Most are a bunch of DUMB rednecks that just come out to shoot their guns at whatever. And most only hunt opening weekend, not caring enough about the sport or its resources. On opening weekend I would guess at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the local ducks are taken. Then you won't see most hunting ducks until next year. If I were to estimate, 75% of duck hunting licenses sold in the state, are never used again after opening weekend. The few that do care about the resource, don't educate themselves on the art of waterfowl hunting, calling, and decoying. So they just become educators and the few birds that are left become really wise to hunters.

The way I've found to be successful is to hunt late when there is ice to take out alot of the lakes and rivers for ducks to seek refuge. You have to find the huntable spots at this time, but if you know what you are looking for, you will find a concentration. Also scouting and good calling is key.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Meatss » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:Putting out 800 snow goose decoys at 3 am in the morning just to have a handful of snow geese give you a look, hunting till sunset, then repeating the same thing 60 miles north or south of me the next morning doesn't sound too spoiled to me. Then dealing with weather that can change from 70 degrees to -15 degrees doesn't sound too spoiled.

The name of this thread is best "DUCK" hunters so why are you talking about sky rats :huh:
I dont think duck hunting in Kansas is too aweful hard now is it.
Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby chris_k » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
chris_k wrote:Killing ducks in Arkansas' Public Timber is easy compared to killing ducks down here in Florida. If you are into competitiveness, take a trip down to Florida. They don't call Florida duck hunters the best in North America for no reason. Down here, duck hunters are plentiful and ducks are weary and scarce.

Chris, I'm not reposting that quote from another thread here to pick on you, but because I think you make a valid point. It's tough to kill ducks where birds are scarce and hunters plentiful. And I thought it might be a fun topic to kick around on its own thread, rather than further jacking the one it appeared on.

Dang Rick, I don't know why you think it's necessary to start another pissing contest thread.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby chris_k » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:47 pm

muskyduck wrote:Inland WI... No picnic. You got the Great Mississippi to the West, and you got Lake Michigan to the East. Where are the birds? To the East and West of the state. Plus we are right inbetween the Canadian prairie and the Eastern shore, so our general migration is fairly small compared to the areas around us. Gettin a limit is not an easy thing to do inside the state. The amount of water in WI is huge. Well over 10,000 classisifed lakes in the state (that doesn't include smaller ponds or marsh and swamp land), and most is surrounded by timber so the nesting habitat for mallards and geese is limited, but amazing for woodducks. This keeps ducks pretty spread out. Makes it extremely hard to find a HUNTABLE concentration of ducks, year round, inside the state. Field hunting is also difficult, because most farms are 200 acres or smaller and other then the southern part of the state, most private parsals are 40 acres or less now. So many old farm homesteads have been divided and pieced off for more land profit. We just don't have the large fields that the dakotas, iowa, kansas, and southern illinois have.

Not to mention the hunters. No one knows how to call, but they think they do. Most are a bunch of DUMB rednecks that just come out to shoot their guns at whatever. And most only hunt opening weekend, not caring enough about the sport or its resources. On opening weekend I would guess at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the local ducks are taken. Then you won't see most hunting ducks until next year. If I were to estimate, 75% of duck hunting licenses sold in the state, are never used again after opening weekend. The few that do care about the resource, don't educate themselves on the art of waterfowl hunting, calling, and decoying. So they just become educators and the few birds that are left become really wise to hunters.

The way I've found to be successful is to hunt late when there is ice to take out alot of the lakes and rivers for ducks to seek refuge. You have to find the huntable spots at this time, but if you know what you are looking for, you will find a concentration. Also scouting and good calling is key.

And that is what, 3-4 hours drive to prime hunting? You are just lazy. Drive 3-4 hours and hunt west or east WI. I put 19,000 miles on my truck last duck season.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby Towduck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 pm

I drive 15 miles and im at prime public ground, it sucks lol
INSANE DUCK POSSE
FIRST 5
Towduck
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:42 pm

No Chris_K, not lazy just efficient. Some individuals have other obligations and if I want to hunt 45+ days of a 60 day season, you got to do the best you can with what you got. If you can drive 3 hours both ways and make it back before work every day during the week, then you have a more flexible job then I do.
Don't get me wrong, I make the 3 hours trips a couple weekends a year. But I want to get out and hunt the rest of the season also. Can't make that trip every day. I'd rather hunt for 45 days and have the satisfiaction that I worked hard for what I earned in putting together a successful hunt, then only hunt three weekends a year and just have a good shoot!
muskyduck
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Meatss wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Putting out 800 snow goose decoys at 3 am in the morning just to have a handful of snow geese give you a look, hunting till sunset, then repeating the same thing 60 miles north or south of me the next morning doesn't sound too spoiled to me. Then dealing with weather that can change from 70 degrees to -15 degrees doesn't sound too spoiled.

The name of this thread is best "DUCK" hunters so why are you talking about sky rats :huh:
I dont think duck hunting in Kansas is too aweful hard now is it.

:lame: Oh, excuse me, others were talking about goose hunting in this thread too, I'll try to stay on topic for your benefit....NOT!!!!
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:15 pm

chris_k wrote:Dang Rick, I don't know why you think it's necessary to start another pissing contest thread.

Er...chris, if you look at your post following that one, you'll see yourself with your pecker out. What I started was a pass-the-time thread. If you want to do that by arguing over who pees/drives the farthest, that's on you.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HybridMachine » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:50 pm

With a quick glance might be off topic.....
I like to kill ducks in my concrete blind every so offten here in Cali while drinking a nice hot cup of Folgers :lol3:
Learn how to run it.......
HybridMachine
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:07 pm

chris_k wrote:
muskyduck wrote:Inland WI... No picnic. You got the Great Mississippi to the West, and you got Lake Michigan to the East. Where are the birds? To the East and West of the state. Plus we are right inbetween the Canadian prairie and the Eastern shore, so our general migration is fairly small compared to the areas around us. Gettin a limit is not an easy thing to do inside the state. The amount of water in WI is huge. Well over 10,000 classisifed lakes in the state (that doesn't include smaller ponds or marsh and swamp land), and most is surrounded by timber so the nesting habitat for mallards and geese is limited, but amazing for woodducks. This keeps ducks pretty spread out. Makes it extremely hard to find a HUNTABLE concentration of ducks, year round, inside the state. Field hunting is also difficult, because most farms are 200 acres or smaller and other then the southern part of the state, most private parsals are 40 acres or less now. So many old farm homesteads have been divided and pieced off for more land profit. We just don't have the large fields that the dakotas, iowa, kansas, and southern illinois have.

And that is what, 3-4 hours drive to prime hunting? You are just lazy. Drive 3-4 hours and hunt west or east WI. I put 19,000 miles on my truck last duck season.

So lets say you have 100 days of duck hunting down there in FL, which I would guess is probably a stretch. You're telling me you averaged 190 miles a day for those 100 days? I'm not talking about adding on those extra miles for any sort of commute to work, school, etc.....Strictly for duck hunting........I say you're full of chit.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:19 pm

chris_k wrote:My comment about being the best was not serious. I know there are a lot of great hunters all over the US and Canada. But sometimes I ask myself during duck season, how many people do the things we do. Put out at midnight, hunt til sunset, wade in waters with 12 foot gators at arm reach length, scout like a maniac, all for a ring neck or two. The amount of effort is immense. A lot of hunters in Arkansas ride to their holes late at 4 am, park their boat at 10 yards from the hole and complain when they don't get a limit. A lot of hunters up north get spoiled. Get gotta fight for every duck.

Why set up at midnight??? I honestly can say it takes me 5-45 minutes to drive to where I am hunting, 5 minutes to walk to the blind, and 5-10 minutes to set up my 1-2 dozen decoys. So I wake up at 5 and am set up by 6-6:15. Shooting time isn't until 6:25 or later all season.

Are you telling me it takes you 6 hours to get to where you are going and set up? That doesn't sound like good hunting too me, just too much damn work. That wouldn't even be fun.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:21 pm

If your logging 19,000 miles for a few ringnecks i'd take up a new hobby...I live in the middle of town and have killed hundreds of mallards within rifle range of my house, i can hear traffic from where i hunt if Black River is right....
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:26 pm

mccree79 wrote:Oh, crap.....here we go.

I am going with Illinois. 50% of the callers are good enough to get on stage and they throw a lot of money behind the hunt....decoys, crops, water, blinds and other gadgets. I know some will say toys don't make you a good hunter...which they don't. But the same in business and military...those with the biggest and best toys usually win.

Disclaimer: Only hunted Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana and Florida. So I have a limited perspective on this question. 80% of hunting, if not more occurs in Illinois. So I may be a little biased here.

If a person has to put out a bunch of mojo's or other "gadgets" to be able to shoot a duck...its no longer hunting. Hunting takes skill and gadgets eliminate the need for skill...
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:34 pm

i have to agree with towduck about the best callers being from arkansas.we saw sum kids up there that could blow their heads off.I say anybody that goes everyday or at least 45 days outta the year every year is goin to be a good duck hunter ,because that person is gonna gain experience everyday .I also think when you travel to other places you gain a ton of knowledge on learning how to hunt different types of terrain.The best hunters are the ones that truely love it and make it a part of their life.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Did you forget about driving 180 miles south to hunt somewhere that actually had water only to have it all freeze up on you?

That wasn't all that spoiled, either.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby muskyduck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:18 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:i have to agree with towduck about the best callers being from arkansas.we saw sum kids up there that could blow their heads off.I say anybody that goes everyday or at least 45 days outta the year every year is goin to be a good duck hunter ,because that person is gonna gain experience everyday .I also think when you travel to other places you gain a ton of knowledge on learning how to hunt different types of terrain.The best hunters are the ones that truely love it and make it a part of their life.

Well put! And those kids you speak of begin calling when they are still covered in after-birth. A lot like whitetail hunting in the mid-west, it is THE outdoor lifestyle in that area. But like you said, a lot of time in the field makes you that good also. And it's the challenging times the bring out the "best hunters." That's the only way you perservere and continue learning. I would love to kill a limit everyday like in the case with certain areas of the country, but a lot of times it just isn't possible in my immediate hunting area. But being able to adjust and make the best of the situation you are given is what seperates the men from the boys, so to speak.
muskyduck
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum