Review of Zink Calls and the NBG

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Review of Zink Calls and the NBG

Postby Hcalls » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Let me start this review by saying I hold no basis or favoritism toward any call manufacture. I do not believe the hype around any call manufacture. I recently moved to Ohio and had the opportunity to take a tour of Zink Calls. It is a cool experience for anyone who enjoys waterfowl hunting. The Zink calls staff is very friendly and accommodating. After taking the tour I had the opportunity to run every many of their calls. After testing every duck call I purchased the NBG. The rest of their call lineup was excellent however; you can quickly empty your wallet buying calls.
NBG

Pros:
Sounds good
Amazing low end
Good volume
Looks cool (Looks did not contribute to my purchase nor have they ever)
Fit and Finish
Tone Board design
Cons:
Can stick (seldom)
Price
Size (Personal Preference)

Report Card
Sound A
Price B
Low End A+
High End A-
Volume A
Ease of Use A-
Over All A-

The NGB call is an amazing call. It has a tone board that is anything but normal. The tone board has multiple cuts made in the sides and in the front. This is not a new idea. Big Guys best calls have spit grooves in their tone boards and other manufactures have attempted similar alterations. There has yet to be any hard evidence proving that tone board manipulation will decrease sticking. I have managed to get the NGB call to stick. It does not stick often but, it can stick like 99% of calls out there. There are many call manufactures that would have you belief that pouring water into a call and then blowing it somehow shows that it is un-stick able. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUOvi5oOQbU Go to 4:26) There are other call makers that have shown this test and it is complete bull. Human saliva and water do not have similar viscosity.

The overall length of the NGB is normal. The call feels small in your hands. This is my personal opinion as I have large hands. The NGB has good volume. It has one of the best low ends of any call I have ever had the opportunity to run. On the high end it performs well but, lacks the volume of similar calls. The price on the NBG is $140 USD. After touring the Zink facility I have a better understanding of why this particular call cost so much. The NGB and the ATM both are constructed of acrylic with a metal flake look. This particular type of acrylic does not flame polish well. It must be polished by hand to achieve the desired finish. Opposite of calls with plain acrylic or transparent acrylic which can be flame polished in a fraction of the time. In addition to this the NGB has a considerable amount of engraving on the mouthpiece and the insert. When you add up the hand polishing, tone board complexity, and the engraving it equals more chances of screwing up a call. It also translates into many man hours to produce one call. I added a picture of my Echo Meat hanger next to the NGB to illustrate the difference in look and size.
The NGB and most Zink calls come with a call hard case, mini instructional DVD, Zink tarsus band, and call soft case. I believe Zink calls missed the mark with “Extras”. If the call would come with only a soft case, it would eliminate the cost of the hard case and all that comes with it. This would allow the call to be sold at a lower price. I do not for see myself putting the tarsus band on anything, using the hard case or watching the DVD. That is just my opinion and I am sure other will have an opinion on the matter. If the purchaser of the call were given the choice to pay more money for “extras” vs. less money for just the call, many of us would choose just the call.

As with everything there is a matter of opinion. So ……… NBG Call-Worth it Zink Calls-Remarkable company Ducks- Taste good
Attachments
call 2.jpg
See Ya
Hcalls
hunter

Re: Review of Zink Calls and the NBG

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:25 am

I agree if I had the choice I would just buy the call. I don't need a band, hard case, or Dvd. Waste of money.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Agree call is a good one but also agree that the price tag is a catch for me. And honestly I could do with out the special acrylic or the engraving and all the extras. If they knocked the graphics off and used normal material and got the price around 100 they would sell alot more of them in my opinion. I know I'd have one.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby duck1nut » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 pm

How does it compare to the Echo meat hanger? Good review..
duck1nut
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:Agree call is a good one but also agree that the price tag is a catch for me. And honestly I could do with out the special acrylic or the engraving and all the extras. If they knocked the graphics off and used normal material and got the price around 100 they would sell alot more of them in my opinion. I know I'd have one.

It is regular acrylic, just pearl colors, but they do have non-pearl as well. I think the price is coming because of the tone board, it has a lot of machining time in it.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Hcalls » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

duck1nut-
The NGB and the Meat Hanger a two very different calls. The NGB is a single reed and the Meat Hanger is a double. The calls have two distinctively different sounds. I may do a review of the Meat Hanger. If you would compare the two it would be apples and oranges. The NGB has a amazing bottom end. I have not ran a call that could touch it. You can produce a very aggressive feeding call with the NGB. The Meat Hanger is fast and produces a very large range of sounds. It will get very loud and will get soft. I have ran many double reeds and the Meat Hanger is my personal favorite. The Meat Hanger will do it all. I will be running the NGB in timber, dry fields, and small water. The Meat Hanger will be used everywhere.
See Ya
Hcalls
hunter

Postby mswings » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 pm

so would the atm and the nbg compliment each other on the same lanyard? i have a hobo icu2 and looking for a single reed to go with it. was looking at echo or the zink. thoughts?
mswings
hunter

Postby duckhuntingsig443 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 am

I hunted an NBG this year and loved it. Some of the coldest weather in a few years for NE AR and I can only think of maybe 2-3 times that it stuck on me. Once of which the call was dropped in the water while 4 degrees out. What call wouldn't freeze up after that. The NBG has lots of rasp built in which in my opinion makes it an excellent complement for my PH1. Had a meat hanger a few years ago and got rid of it after only about 3 weeks because it stuck on me consistently.
duckhuntingsig443
Newb

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum