What are some good calls?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

What are some good calls?

Postby TheAggie1001 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:40 am

I mostly hunt in a group where there are enough guys that can call so i dont have to worry much about it but next year i'm getting on a lease by my self. I mostly hunt marsh and bay type areas along the gulf coast of texas but i'v been known to hit flooded timber aswell. I need a call that i can figure out and get proficent with but it has to have a good realistic sound. But i'm totaly clue less about what kinda call to get so what ever advice you can spare will be helpfull, Thanks.
TheAggie1001
Newb

Postby NESoDak » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:48 am

There are a really good number of entry level calls out there that can sound good. I will suggest the Rich-N-Tone Hunter Combo. A very attractive Cocobolo wood call and an instructional CD are included in the package. A double reed call will be easier to work immediately, but in the long run I believe a single reed is the superior call. A single allows you more finesse in your presentation.

There are other very good makers out there so find a call that you find appealing, add an instructional tape/cd and practice as much as your able to. When you figure your sounding pretty good, get another instuctional tape and gleen from it what you can, and then another. Every one I have bought has given me some little thing to use. Then next spring, goto the park and call at real ducks in a pond. They will get you practicing even more. There is no such thing as too much practice. The best callers in the world still practice daily and even a tin eared journeyman caller like me carries calls year round in the truck and really starts working them hard around april in preperation for the season opener.

Hope this helps a little. Again, there are a lot of good calls out there. Your first call may be chosen on looks alone but get one from a good name maker and practice, practice, practice.
"If you don't think too good ... Don't think too much." Ted Williams
NESoDak
hunter

Postby KO » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:39 pm

kdcalls.com

yeah its a shameless plug I know....but every call I make sounds like the real thing or its thrown away....none of this cnc by the thousands
KO
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:33 am

alot of the higher end companies are starting to make poly models of there calls if you want a call for a ncie price but still has good sound you might want to try one of these ...(echo, foiles, rnt, zink, ect.) you will be giveing up some volume but also saveing a lot.....(then if you find a call that you liek you can go get the same call in better sounding matterals...)
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum