Duck Hunting Forum banner

calls

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Duck Crazy 
#1 ·
what is the best single reed out there today

#2 ·
The ONE that you can blow great. Seriously I think that question is like what do you prefer blondes or redheads? There are tons of great calls out there but each call has it's own little traits that make it better suited to different individuals as well as situations. I myself prefer Gaston's and RNT's. If I had to pick one call my pick would be RNT original in coco or bocote. I also like the SB and DC as well but not more than original. I also love how my Gaston acrylic blows and sounds. To each his own.

#3 ·
I don't think there is a "best" duck call out there. There are tons of great calls on the market. It just depends on what your calling style is and what call fits you. The only way to find the "best" call for you is to try all different types and brands of calls and find the one you like most! good luck in your search! :salude:

#9 ·
mud duck said:
Why should I spend 125 on a duck or goose call vs. $30.00? Are they any easier to blow, don't freeze up, don't need back pressure? I'm not sure.
My thoughts exactly. My favorite call and my buddies favorite call don't cost over 10 dollars combined. If you have the spot, then the call is the third or fourth thing that matters.

Of course, I laid down $900 dollars for an auto when my old 870 pump would've worked fine, so I guess that is kinda hipocritical

#11 ·
I've been blowing a bill collector single reed and was really surprised when my friend picked up the diamondwood single reed. If you take the time to try some of the spendier calls, you may find one that suits you. There is a real difference in sound quality between the molded and the machined calls. have a great year.

john

#12 ·
ks_waterfowler said:
mud duck said:
Why should I spend 125 on a duck or goose call vs. $30.00? Are they any easier to blow, don't freeze up, don't need back pressure? I'm not sure.
My thoughts exactly. My favorite call and my buddies favorite call don't cost over 10 dollars combined. If you have the spot, then the call is the third or fourth thing that matters.

Of course, I laid down $900 dollars for an auto when my old 870 pump would've worked fine, so I guess that is kinda hipocritical
what is this call you speak of???

#16 ·
Calls depend on the caller himself. It doesnt matter the price. Find a call and learn the call. Find what the call can and cant do. The only way to find out is practice. If you don't like a call, try to learn it a little. If you still dont like it, find another. Keep trying until you find a call you really like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.