calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

calls

Postby bushwacking » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:08 pm

what is the best single reed out there today
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby ken h » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:20 pm

The ONE that you can blow great. Seriously I think that question is like what do you prefer blondes or redheads? There are tons of great calls out there but each call has it's own little traits that make it better suited to different individuals as well as situations. I myself prefer Gaston's and RNT's. If I had to pick one call my pick would be RNT original in coco or bocote. I also like the SB and DC as well but not more than original. I also love how my Gaston acrylic blows and sounds. To each his own.
ken h
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:40 pm

I don't think there is a "best" duck call out there. There are tons of great calls on the market. It just depends on what your calling style is and what call fits you. The only way to find the "best" call for you is to try all different types and brands of calls and find the one you like most! good luck in your search! :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:47 pm

:withstupid: exactly
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chuck hurst » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:59 pm

There is no best call out there. I really like the Primos Yo' Sista Acrylic its a great sounding call for around a $100. If money is a problem then you can buy the same call in the fusion model for $50.
chuck hurst
Newb

Postby mud duck » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:05 pm

Why should I spend 125 on a duck or goose call vs. $30.00? Are they any easier to blow, don't freeze up, don't need back pressure? I'm not sure.
mud duck
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:15 pm

The type of material used to make the call.....acrylic is way higher than molded plastic....and is supposed to sound alot better.
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby Hashburger » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:29 pm

For a all-around good single i like the Hunter's Specialties Ringer. U can blow high balls to just straight out bottom end duck! Its SWEET!! :yes: :yes: My 2 cents.
Hashburger
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:36 pm

mud duck wrote:Why should I spend 125 on a duck or goose call vs. $30.00? Are they any easier to blow, don't freeze up, don't need back pressure? I'm not sure.

My thoughts exactly. My favorite call and my buddies favorite call don't cost over 10 dollars combined. If you have the spot, then the call is the third or fourth thing that matters.

Of course, I laid down $900 dollars for an auto when my old 870 pump would've worked fine, so I guess that is kinda hipocritical
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:33 pm

When trying the calls I would definately recommend blowing the Foiles Straight Meat Mallard, it is a great call high and low. :salude: Happy New Year everyone :salude:
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

HS Waterfowler

Postby gracenjohn » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:33 pm

I've been blowing a bill collector single reed and was really surprised when my friend picked up the diamondwood single reed. If you take the time to try some of the spendier calls, you may find one that suits you. There is a real difference in sound quality between the molded and the machined calls. have a great year.

john
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

?

Postby outdoorsetc1 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:40 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:
mud duck wrote:Why should I spend 125 on a duck or goose call vs. $30.00? Are they any easier to blow, don't freeze up, don't need back pressure? I'm not sure.

My thoughts exactly. My favorite call and my buddies favorite call don't cost over 10 dollars combined. If you have the spot, then the call is the third or fourth thing that matters.

Of course, I laid down $900 dollars for an auto when my old 870 pump would've worked fine, so I guess that is kinda hipocritical
what is this call you speak of???
Im going fishing cuz I cant duck hunt right now!
outdoorsetc1
hunter

ks's calls

Postby gracenjohn » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:36 am

i do believe that ks has a buck gardner double nasty and a 6-1 combo whistle. the double nasty blows wet and the 6-1 is a great late season call and can be used by just about anyone.

john
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Re: ks's calls

Postby outdoorsetc1 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:43 pm

gracenjohn wrote:i do believe that ks has a buck gardner double nasty and a 6-1 combo whistle. the double nasty blows wet and the 6-1 is a great late season call and can be used by just about anyone.

john
the double nasty is a double reed not a single but it dose sound dang good!!!
Im going fishing cuz I cant duck hunt right now!
outdoorsetc1
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:40 pm

i got the primos acrylic fusion call at walmart for 40 bucks i really like it.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:50 pm

Calls depend on the caller himself. It doesnt matter the price. Find a call and learn the call. Find what the call can and cant do. The only way to find out is practice. If you don't like a call, try to learn it a little. If you still dont like it, find another. Keep trying until you find a call you really like.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum