Adjusting calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Adjusting calls

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:19 pm

I have a bunch of duck calls. Almost all of them are tinny sounding. I like the deeper and raspier. That's the way the drake mallards we call to always sound. I had a buddy that has a suzzy Q and it sounds great. Mine sounds tinny, even when he uses it. When I adjust it , it gets deeper but still spounds like crap and a deep tinny sound.

I bought a lohman green call with a brass ring and it sound like crap. I started pulling them out at **** and blowing them before I bought them. I finally bought and Lohman gold series for it deeper sound.

Any thoughts on if I can or how to adjust these crappy calls? I got a week and a hlf before duck season comes in again.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bushwacking » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:03 pm

just go out and buy the haydels xtra loud barrel double reed mallard it is one of the best calls i have blowin in my life
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby KO » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:02 am

Seeing that I make calls....I can offer you this...there is virtually no way to "re tune" your calls....the problem id that all these calls are turned out in mass....their made to sound a certain way...in order to re tune one..you may very well have to change the slope of the sound board, lengthen the tone channel...ect ect......Hope this helps KO kdcalls.com
KO
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:47 pm

Do you recommend one of yours in a deeper raspier sound?

Also, how would I modify the existing ones I have?

I forgot to add the Gold series I like has a rounded tipped reed. The sound board looks like the others.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KO » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:24 pm

In all honesty I hate to plug my calls, but quite frankly I started making calls, simply because in 37 years of hunting, I've never bought a call I thought sounded like a duck sounds....so having that in mind...all my calls are lower pitched than you'll find just about anywhere......I strive to get rasp, realisim, and still maintain decent volume......plus you aren't limited to on hand calls...if you like a certain look, size, or wood....well then it gets made.......I carry 2 calls...one double reed and one single...I made them both....and will never use another call....and I'm not saying that just to sell a call...lets face it...my calls won't break the bank...I wouldn't lie to you to make a 50.00 sale....as far as modifying your existing calls...it's hard to say without blowing one of them....the dilema comes in if you make and adjustment to the sound channel or board slope and its wrong...the call is ruined....I'd probably put the calls in a box and save them as the "calls I don't like anymore" Hope this helps KO
KO
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum