Duck Hunting Forum banner

How many of yall blowin Hobo's?

6K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  med 
#1 ·
How many of yall are blowin a hobo? Sounds odd...BUT.. :lol3: Used to own a Echo Meathanger and that thing would stick all the time. Im sure it was something to do with me and how much spit i put through the call but sometimes i wouldnt even blow it at all that day and would get to truck and go to blow it and it would be froze up. I realize Kent used to be with echo and then moved on and made hobo. Do the hobo's stick as easy or as much as echo does? I am really looking hard at the Hobo Prime Meat for a whiney bit higher pitched call that i like but i dont want to drop $140 on a call thats gonna stick on me nonstop. I would guess that kent has redesigned the calls different from echo but not sure if it reduced sticking or not. Anyways, how do yall like the Hobos your using?(specifically the Prime Meat) Which call are you blowing? How easy are they to blow?

Maybe someone can fill me in of some of these questions. Sorry i have so many :oops:

#2 ·
My main calls this year were a Diablo and a Prime Meat, with the Hobo seeing the bulk of the action. Great calls with exceptional range. They can do all of the finesse stuff and have a big enough top end for essentially every place I hunt. From whiny higher pitch hens, to the throaty old boss hen sound, they can do it all and everything in between. I also have had zero sticking issues with mine. For the way I blow a call and the sounds I am looking to achieve, there is not currently a better call on the market for me. I also really like the Hobo Prime Meat Timber which has all the whine and hold of the PM, in a quieter package.

#3 ·
Agree! The Prime Meat is an exceptional call that can do it all. It makes a trip to the blind with me every hunt.

If you're not used to blowing single reed calls, you'll likely need a little practice to maximize the PM's capabilities. The call has a lot of hold and can be blown over with uncontrolled air. Once you learn to control your air, it's hard to match the PM's abilities with any one call.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
Bought my brother one for his birthday. Its his go to call. He loves it and it never sticks on him. I use to have a meat hanger way back, and it stuck also. Has something to do with dbl reeds. Learn to blow a single and you wont turn back. Ive blow his prime meat and liked it but I have toooo many calls the way it is. I will own one someday and Kent is a great dude to do bidness wit. He will do everything possible to help a brother out.

#6 ·
:lol3: thanks for the info guys. I currently blow a daisy cutter so i can blow a single decently but hopefully good enough for the PM :biggrin:

#7 ·
rebelp74 said:
Oh I don't know maybe 3 or 4 blowin hobos used to be the thing to do!
Lame :no:

#8 ·
The Duck Hammer said:
rebelp74 said:
Yeah but so are hobo calls

#9 ·
#10 ·
MOhunter13 said:
:lol3: thanks for the info guys. I currently blow a daisy cutter so i can blow a single decently but hopefully good enough for the PM :biggrin:
The only reason I mentioned the single reed thing was your reference to the Meat Hanger. Nonetheless, your daisy cutter doesn't have near the hold that the PM does, so it's gonna run quite differently for ya. :thumbsup:

Report back how you like it.

#11 ·
Im half tempted to go with the hobo prime meat timber because i dont really have much need for a super loud call. I have been huntin the river and most ducks we see are close enough to have a softer call for just a small cadence and then small quacks and little feed. Does the Prime meat timber have the same whine/hold that the regular prime meat does and does it squeal out when you lean on it hard being that it doesnt have the range of the prime meat? Which do yall prefer?

#12 ·
If you can only afford the one, I'd go Prime Meat for right now. Has what you're looking and can run the scale from top to bottom. A loud call can be made quiet but a quiet call can't get louder. When you have enough, go ahead and pick up the Prime Meat Timber. It is entirely possible though that you may get everything you want out of the regular PM and won't see the need for the PMT.

#16 ·
Fattygreens said:
rebelp74 said:
The Duck Hammer said:
rebelp74 said:
Care to elaborate?
Hobo calls aren't very good. There are much better calls for the price than anything in hobos.

#17 ·
rebelp74 said:
Fattygreens said:
rebelp74 said:
The Duck Hammer said:
rebelp74 said:
Care to elaborate?
Hobo calls aren't very good. There are much better calls for the price than anything in hobos.
It's quite clear from your past posts that you're an RNT guy. I was too (still am for a few of their calls) but I started selling off a good portion of them once I got a Hobo. I have said it before and I will say it again, for the sounds I am looking to achieve and for the majority of the places I hunt, the Prime Meat from Hobo is my call of choice for the last 2 years. As for them not being very good, someone better tell all the ducks that fall victim to them throughout the year. While you're at, let Kent know they aren't good enough for contests either. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
jrode237 said:
rebelp74 said:
Fattygreens said:
rebelp74 said:
The Duck Hammer said:
rebelp74 said:
Care to elaborate?
It's quite clear from your past posts that you're an RNT guy. I was too (still am for a few of their calls) but I started selling off a good portion of them once I got a Hobo. I have said it before and I will say it again, for the sounds I am looking to achieve and for the majority of the places I hunt, the Prime Meat from Hobo is my call of choice for the last 2 years. As for them not being very good, someone better tell all the ducks that fall victim to them throughout the year. While you're at, let Kent know they aren't good enough for contests either. :thumbsup:
The main reason that I am a HOBO hater is I saw a youtube video of Kent. He was blowing one of the calls and he put his entire body in motion to do so. That is a quirk that I have and it drives me crazy. I tried a prime meat and I can do all of those sounds with a Echo Timber, RNT DC, SB, and Original. You can get the squeals and all that other stuff out of a call by changing the approach of your air into the call. As for being a RNT guy, yes I am. They make the best duck calls out there, for me. I also am a huge fan of the Echo Timber, and Watkin's Calls. Oh yea, RNT is superior! :lol3:

#19 ·
rebelp74 said:
jrode237 said:
rebelp74 said:
Fattygreens said:
rebelp74 said:
The Duck Hammer said:
rebelp74 said:
Care to elaborate?
Oh yea, RNT is superior! :lol3:
And it's posts like this that there are so many RNT haters.

#20 ·
jrode237 said:
rebelp74 said:
jrode237 said:
rebelp74 said:
Fattygreens said:
rebelp74 said:
The Duck Hammer said:
rebelp74 said:
Care to elaborate?
Oh yea, RNT is superior! :lol3:
And it's posts like this that there are so many RNT haters.
Most hate RNT b/c they wish they could be them or they haven't learned how to control the amount of spit the put into the call. How many championships has a RNT call won vs the rest? Ok then.

#21 ·
People call them stick n tones but I am not a professional caller but I can call and I do not ever remember my RNT sticking. I think it may have once after calling for along time and overblowing it stuck blew through the other side and it was undone never stuck again, it was my fault for overblowing it. Now double reeds for me stick like crazy. All of my RNT's are single reed.

#23 ·
jrode237 said:
rebelp74 said:
How many championships has a RNT call won vs the rest? Ok then.
Ah, so your one of those guys. I get it now...... :lol3:
No not at all one of those guys, it's true they win more. Most good callers prefer RNT, so do a lot of wannabe's. I use what I like and what fits me. RNT takes alot of voice/grunt into the call and that fits my style. Like I said in an above post, I also use Echo, Watkins, and DRC. Along with several others that I didn't mention. The main reason I don't like other calls isn't b/c of the sound but b/c there is some weird quirk I have with the look, style or something with the maker. That being said alot of them I don't like the sound or way the call fits my style. The only RNT goose call I have is a mongoose and it's a back up call at best. The only RNT duck call I consistently use over my other brands is a DC. I like what I like, you like what you like... RNT is still BETTER! :lol3:

#24 ·
It doesn't matter how many calling championships a brand has won if you've ever been to one I've seen plenty of people blowing RNT's that look like they square dancing while doing so. I love my RNT's and love my Hobo Prime Meat. But I'm not gonna base what duck call I buy or how I talk about another brand based on how the owner blows it. That being said nobody's the best in today's day time or everybody would be agreeing with ya. Them boys at rnt sure make a damn good call though!

#25 ·
[/quote]
The main reason that I am a HOBO hater is I saw a youtube video of Kent. He was blowing one of the calls and he put his entire body in motion to do so. That is a quirk that I have and it drives me crazy.[/quote]

LOL......... OMgoodness. A true definition on what makes a call, a terrible call. By the way one moves on the stage.

On forums since the mid 90's. This, is a first.

BTW....I don't use any of those calls.

#26 ·
The main reason that I am a HOBO hater is I saw a youtube video of Kent. He was blowing one of the calls and he put his entire body in motion to do so. That is a quirk that I have and it drives me crazy.[/quote]

LOL......... OMgoodness. A true definition on what makes a call, a terrible call. By the way one moves on the stage.

On forums since the mid 90's. This, is a first.

BTW....I don't use any of those calls.[/quote]
Glad I could make you laugh out loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.