new to calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

new to calling

Postby DUCKBAKER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:01 pm

I live in texas and im planning on getting a lease next season i need to purchase some calls and have no idea what type to buy. ive been duck hunting several times before, but ive been with people that know how to work the calls. I know that you have to have a number of calls for the diffrent species and diffrent situations. please give me some suggestions. also how much is all of this going to cost.

Thanks.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby KO » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:07 pm

Duckbaker,

You don't need more than one call....trust me...I've been at this for 37 years....I even make duck and goose calls....find a call you like.....and practice alot......find a place you can sit and listen to live birds and practice doing what they do.....

As far cost......stay away from the cheap 10.00 calls.......the topend calls then run 150.00 or so are usually acrylic...really loud, but in my opinion not worth the money.......type in custom calls or duck calls for a web search...you can get a really good call for under a 100.00 good luck KO
KO
hunter

Thanks

Postby DUCKBAKER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:14 pm

Thanks

im looking at DJ Illinois River Valley Calls there 40 bucks. is this a good company? Do i need single or double reed? i usualy hunt open areas.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:20 pm

KO is right. Get one call and learn to use it. My favorite call cost $13. My hunting buddies was under $10. We practice all the time. I practice in my truck everyday, and we both sound good. Just as many ducks are killed with lower end calls as higher end calls in my experience.

A drake whistle would definetely be a call I would buy. I have 2. One on my lanyard and one as a backup in case I lose that one. It is probably one of the most under utilized calls in the aresenal. It only costs like $5.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby SilverLakehunter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:21 pm

Im a really big primo's guy thats usually all i use.....the feeding mallard is a great call all you have to do is shake it.....the primos original wench is great usually comes in a "winter wings" pack with a high roller call. Also haydels dirty rice is a good call too.....good luck and happy hunting.

PAUL :salude:
BOOOOOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
SilverLakehunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:34 pm

High end expensive stuff is not all it is cracked up to be. I know friends that are fortunate enough to be loaded and have all this and that but in the end when we compare our day of hunts we come out on top 7 of 10 times. :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KO » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:16 pm

Stick with a single reed...you'll be happier in the long run...nothing wrong with a double reed, but if I'm going to put the time and effort in to learning how to sound like a duck...might as well use a single
KO
hunter

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE

Postby DUCKBAKER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:58 pm

whats the difference between your calls and acrylic calls?
DUCKBAKER
hunter

how to

Postby DUCKBAKER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:30 pm

whats a good way to learn how to call ducks?
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:11 pm

... the diff. in acrylic and poly or wood calls is mostly volume.... ; next i have heard and learned that the best way is to listen to real ducks and try to sound liek them... try going to a zoo and calling at the tame ducks there ... try to sound liek them ... may get some weird looks but hey it is worth it ... befor you ask if you needed a double or a singel reed , then you siad you hunt maily open water .. for this you need a loud call that can reach out to far ducks .. a single reed call is louder therefor you might be more interested in a single reed ... i use both ... the single to get there attention and then my double to get clearer, softer quakes when they get in close...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInTN » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:13 pm

"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:17 pm

Then go to this site:

http://www.zinkcalls.com/videos.html

Scroll down to the "Mallards Gone Wild" CD, and get that one.

With those two CDs, a years worth of practice (every day), a way to record yourself calling, and someone that can tell you how you sound, you'll be ready to go.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:19 pm

And spend all of your time practicing with the single-reed. Once you learn how to operate one of those, you can drive a double-reed like a champ. And if you learn to drive a single-reed VERY well, you won't need or want a double-reed.

Just my opinion...
SteveInTN
hunter

thanks

Postby DUCKBAKER » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:45 am

thanks for all the help i live on a golf course in texas and golf course ponds have ducks on them all year long so im in luck.

thanks.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum