New Call

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

New Call

Postby birdblaster » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:14 pm

I am looking for a good well priced call. Do you guys think haydels are any good? I also heard Foiles makes a great call (id be willing to pay the price for the strait meat) ?
birdblaster
hunter

Postby birdblaster » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:23 pm

Also, is it harder to use a single reed? If so, what is harder about it?
birdblaster
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:07 pm

not necessarely, the real main difference between single and double is sound and volume, I would go with a double reed if you wanted a mellow not so loud call, and a acrylic single for bringing those northern high flyers down...try out all the calls that you can before you buy one, the majority of the time it is just personal preference...good luck in your choice
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby Bret » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:41 am

A double reed call offers a second reed that acts like a baffle that makes it harder or impossible to squeel out over the top. The baffle does limit range of tone and sometimes volume, but doubles are often very ducky sounding. Doubles often load up collecting to much moisture between the reeds locking them up. A single reed offers full range of tone but is sometimes harder to control. A good single in the right hands is a beautiful instrument. They are less likely to lock up however many of them will. I blow singles most of the time I like them because of there range and simplicity.
I look at it like this if you want to spend some time learning how to properly operate a single reed call then you should get a single. If you want to spend less time get a double either will kill ducks just fine.

there are many good calls out there. Foils makes a nice call, but there are many other nice calls check out a bunch before you buy. blow as many brands as you can then pick the one that runs best for you. I like to hunt with a Rowdy DOA double trouble tuned as a single (They wont break the bank either). I also like Giden calls and Swamp thing Mallard calls for hunting. Pick what works for you.

I hope this helps some.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby DUCKBAKER » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:38 pm

look at custom calls they range in price and can be adjustid to your liking. go to kdcalls.com and check out what he has there good calls and the prices arnt that much.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Bret wrote:A double reed call offers a second reed that acts like a baffle that makes it harder or impossible to squeel out over the top. The baffle does limit range of tone and sometimes volume, but doubles are often very ducky sounding. Doubles often load up collecting to much moisture between the reeds locking them up. A single reed offers full range of tone but is sometimes harder to control. A good single in the right hands is a beautiful instrument. They are less likely to lock up however many of them will. I blow singles most of the time I like them because of there range and simplicity.
I look at it like this if you want to spend some time learning how to properly operate a single reed call then you should get a single. If you want to spend less time get a double either will kill ducks just fine.

there are many good calls out there. Foils makes a nice call, but there are many other nice calls check out a bunch before you buy. blow as many brands as you can then pick the one that runs best for you. I like to hunt with a Rowdy DOA double trouble tuned as a single (They wont break the bank either). I also like Giden calls and Swamp thing Mallard calls for hunting. Pick what works for you.

I hope this helps some.

Bret

Good answer.
mccree79
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:39 am

I would most definately fo with the staright meat, i got one about a month ago, and it is the best call that i blew. I tried RNT, Echo,Primos Acrylic, and the SMM was the easiest to blow and it can be loud but also very soft. I love mine I would highly reccommend it. :salude: :salude:
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:23 pm

I went out today and bought a Mick Lacey single reed. Was around $25. It is the easiest blowing single reed I have found. I now have 2 double reeds, that single reed, and a drake whistle on my duck hunting lanyard.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum