How to of duck call building

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

How to of duck call building

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Ok so I have a few questions about building a duck call. I have the necessary tools but I do not know what type of wood to use for the mouthpiece. What type of wood should i use? how should i waterproof it? Also how do they polish the arcrylic to make it clear like you see all manufacturers making them, all the arcrylic dowels I find are a cloudy full color, not a shiny transparent color. How do I achieve this?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Re: How to of duck call building

Postby awingert » Mon May 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Go over to THO Game Calls Forum and spend about four days reading. Every question you could ever come up with has been covered in depth, there are tutorials of all sorts, and tons of folks that'll help if you can't find the answer to your question by searching and reading. Very, very good resource.

www.thogamecallsforums.com
Aaron Wingert
awingert
hunter

Postby Lemonhead » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:25 pm

There is some really good videos on YouTube on this also. I'm more of a visual learner and these were really helpful
Lemonhead
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 am

Lemonhead wrote:There is some really good videos on YouTube on this also. I'm more of a visual learner and these were really helpful

you tube is your friend sometime for how to but i know with the acrylic calls flame polishing is the way to go for ease and speed.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 pm

[quote="Honk-n-quack"]Ok so I have a few questions about building a duck call. I have the necessary tools but I do not know what type of wood to use for the mouthpiece. What type of wood should i use? how should i waterproof it?

There are two parts in a duck call. The barrel ( part you blow into ) and the insert. If you plan on making both, be prepared to spend some money on a jig. To help cut your inserts tone boards. Otherwise you can buy inserts from echo ( that's what I use ). For a barrel- hardwoods are a must, a lot of call makers use cocobolo or bocote. You can buy these online. I like to make barrels from scratch so I usually cut my own blanks from miscellaneous pieces I get from my local hardwood floor guy.
Waterproofing -. I use a minwax outdoor lacquer cause its extremely durable when compared to other finishes. #2 is a wax finish. Typically soft or stick, it's quick, looks good but is not as protective as a lacquer.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum