blue wing call

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

blue wing call

Postby stealfeathers » Thu May 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Best blue wing quackin call. Mine always locks up on me..what do yal think?
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: blue wing call

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

The best over-the-counter bluewing call I've tried (DC, Haydel and Primos) is Haydel's "Big Blue". (A double-reed, not their old squeaker.)

But I prefer whittling down a single reed to teal dimensions, and my current favorite is an over-bored MVP with a teal cut reed. Sort of a magnum teal call.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Mallard call with a reed cut real short with big dog ears like Rick said :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu May 30, 2013 6:48 pm

A straight mallard call works great also
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Haydel BT-85. Impossible to lock up. Easy to call Bluewings with.
mudpack
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:56 pm

IMO a robo is the best blue wing call out there. I think it may be different the further south you go, but I know in the mid west, there is no reason to even bring calls into the field. Once again thats my opinion. Scout hard, find where they want to be, set out a couple robos and you are set.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Rory » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:24 pm

SPatrick wrote:IMO a robo is the best blue wing call out there. I think it may be different the further south you go, but I know in the mid west, there is no reason to even bring calls into the field. Once again thats my opinion. Scout hard, find where they want to be, set out a couple robos and you are set.

Yup that's the case in SEMO... Many limits been shot over one mojo even without any decoys.
Rory
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 pm

No question whirligigs are great tools for teal. Even down here by the Gulf teal are generally as tame for them as yankee mallards. And, of course, if you set up in the right place, they, other decoys and calls are all unnecessary for any waterfowl.

But day in, day out, I like my chances with a teal call or at least a squeaky, squawky mallard call a whole lot better. Some passersby will bank on reflex, just like their big cousins, and others that have plainly pushed of the spinner or setup can be talked back into messing up, just like their big cousins. That's not saying they're nearly as susceptible to good calling as mallards, mind you, just that calling teal can be well worthwhile. 'Least it has in my experience.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 am

Think Rick hit or on the head. I just tighten up on one of my hen calls for teal to avoid a ton of schit around my neck...we don't have a teal season though so I'm always chasing a mixed bag.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:12 am

beretta24 wrote:I just tighten up on one of my hen calls for teal to avoid a ton of schit around my neck...we don't have a teal season though so I'm always chasing a mixed bag.

I don't carry a teal call, per se, in the regular season, either. More trouble than the difference is probably worth. But in September I'm only carrying a call, or two when I'm auditioning something new, and like to give it my best shot. Not always so easy to put enough in front of the guns foe everyone to knock down a limit - and with the limit increase to six, that will be all the more the case.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby FinishCallz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Rick checkout Wingstopper Duck Calls new "Trilogy" Teal combo coming out for 2013.
FinishCallz
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:06 pm

No thanks, but good luck with it.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum