Timing

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

Timing

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 am

So I just started to work on a Cajun squeal and was wondering when you guys like to use it? When they are going away, coming towards you, on the corners? Let me hear it!

Thanks guys,
Iowa
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Re: Timing

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:34 am

I don't really use it at all. At least not the actual super pronounced Cajun squeal. I add a little bit of squeal to the end of some of my last notes of a string occasionally because that is how ducks actually do it, don't over use it though
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:I don't really use it at all. At least not the actual super pronounced Cajun squeal. I add a little bit of squeal to the end of some of my last notes of a string occasionally because that is how ducks actually do it, don't over use it though

This...but, I use a bouncing hen more than a Cajun squeal. I would use it anytime you would use a greeting call...whether it be they are going away or when you need to hit them on the corners :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am

I don't think it is very effective in the field, mainly a trick note to show that it can be done. I might pinch a note off at the end here and there, and usually on a bouncing hen, but thats about it and I only do it to throw a different sound in there. I don't think its put more birds on the strap for me though.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm

I only use it when I have let the birds fly by, hit a come back and I sneak it in on my second or third sequence IF, and only if, my first sequence was not fruitful...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:45 am

Those old Cajun dudes weren't blow the squeal to impress other hunters. :no:
They were using it to put meat in the pot.............I mainly throw it at birds as a last resort if I haven't got a response.
Sometimes it works awesome, other days it doesn't work at all...............Trick note ? :lol3:
Do you really think them old boys cared one bit about impressing judges with trick notes ? not :no: but hell :no: !!!
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:21 am

From the stories I hear here in Cajun country, it's a wonder the old timers bothered with calls at all. Maybe a diversion to take the warden's mind off the corn. I know effective callers who mostly use trashy calling from calls with a lot of squeal, like Haydel's dirty rice, but I'm more confident of getting reflex response from disinterested appearing birds with clean, crisp calling. When I get trashy, I've already got 'em by the bill and am amusing myself and, perhaps, my guests.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum