moving up to a nicer call, need reccomendations.

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

moving up to a nicer call, need reccomendations.

Postby matthewv42 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 pm

I have a dr85 and a duck commander camo max and I think its time to move up to a nicer call and I was wondering what would be a good choice up to $100? I don't want a single reed, I can not control a single reed to save my life. Thanks
matthewv42
hunter

Re: moving up to a nicer call, need reccomendations.

Postby Labs4Mallard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:37 am

Take A Look At The Ducklander Q2. Easy To Work With And An AmazinG Range.
"If those ducks are flying high, Who you gonna call?" SKYBUSTERS!!
Labs4Mallard
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:45 am

Take it for what you will,

I myself decided to step up to some higher end calls this year. For years, I blew cheaper double reed calls. Never could get the knack of a single reed. I picked up an arcrylic daisy cutter single reed here in the classified. Figured i'd try it, and if nothing else, sent it in to have set up as a double. To my surprise, it wasn't hard to blow. I posted a video of it here, along with me blowing a few double reeds. Most of the folks here thought I sounded better on the single. So, I wouldn't rule out a single just yet.

To me, there is a night and day difference between blowing a cheap call and higher end call.

As far as double reed, I have a hobo icu2 and a gander valley homewrecker. The icu2 is the easiest for me to blow, extremely good low end, but higher pitched. New they are 140 buck for acrylic, but I've seen them go for less than 100 on eBay and here in the classifieds. The homewrecker is 110 new (acrylic) and has a lot of good reviews. Mark at GV, will set it up to your liking. Mine was a gift, so I didn't get to speak with him about the set up. It is a little hard for me to blow, and a little deep to me. I spoke with him, and he said he could lighten it up for me a bit. His customer service is awesome.

Look around here in the classifieds, and you can find some good deals on calls.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:59 am

For $100 you can just about have your choice of calls out of the classifieds sir. Pick and choose as they come up for sale.

I cant stress enough the differance between a single and a double reed. Buy a quality single reed and the Carlson A-Z calling CD and practics. One doesnt learn to blow any musical instrument overnight or in a week.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 am

You don't get any better than the Carlson calling system in my opinion.

I also heard Ryan Knoell is getting ready to come out with a new acrylic line while continuing the time tested call making techniques!
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby Normmcclean » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:43 am

Buy a cocobolo RNT short barrel. You can get one brand new for $75 shipped to your house. This is a great entry into high end calls. If you must stick with a double reed Ducklander troublemaker is the best meat duck call for putting ducks on the strap great acrylic double. Research the troublemaker on here and you will see a huge following of the call. I hunt all public ground and this call gets it done. I have had other hunters waiting by my truck to ask me what call I was using to drop such big flocks and then I send em to ducklander for a troublemaker you will not be dissapointed. Just take advice with a grain of salt there are a ton of pro staffers on here pushing some junky calls so they get a cut or free calls from sending you to a company they staff for. Good luck and good hunting.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:50 am

To me, practice is probably something you need to work on before you spend $100 on a call. Buy a good CD or DVD such as Basic Grammer or the Carlson A-Z Duck Calling CD like STUMP mentioned. Master each note on a duck call and learn your way round the calls you already have. Buying a $100 call WILL NOT make you a better duck caller if you can't blow a $20 call to begin with. Learn the fundamentals on the calls you already have.

Good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I'd have to say I kind of agree and kind of disagree with mayhem here. Yes, it's important to have good instruction or reference points to be effective at calling. But, I don't believe that all calls are created equal. A cheap call may never fit you anymore than an expensive call will but in my experience more expensive calls are much easier to recreate realistic sounds with. A person may never truly master a cheap call but be pretty damn good on a more expensive model due to how easily it can operate. Don't get me wrong here, some expensive calls do suck and or are more difficult to run than some cheaper calls but I can personally say that my calling stepped up a notch with a higher end call. The OP never said that he was new to calling or that he was not very good at it just that he wasn't good with a single reed call. I personally love my DLC calls but also like my MVP quite well too. All of my calls are single reed though so I can't help you at all with a double reed selection. Don't let anyone tell you not to step up to a " higher end" call though, I believe you'll see a night and day difference. I know I did.
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:11 am

Normmcclean, nice YFT bro!
I have to back Stump here. He backed me and helped me a lot too. Getting a correct process to learn calling technique is what will make the difference.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah technique and practice are key. Might piss off the neighbors but hours of practice will pay off big. I especially like to call outside calling indoors can give your call an odd sound at times. No need to buy anything. Butch Rickenbach has a good tutorial on DU website. Rick Dunn echo/hobo and Bobby Hayes of ducklander have good instruction on YouTube. I learned the most by going to my local waterfowl refuge and listen to the birds themselves helps to build life like cadence for the hunting season.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Coco Daisy Cutter. Take the time to learn a single reed and then you can use anything.
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Bad news new guy, once WTN has accepted you, you are automatically a world renown douche.
WTN10
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:57 am

It's a lot harder to learn on a cheaper call that won't perform as well as you'd like. You're having to learn to compensate for certain issues with the call. I'm much more an advocate of buying a nice call, and learning with it.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:40 am

It must be just me..but I never had and problems going from a double to a single ..but a lot do. To me..not a huge difference.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 am

Back to the original question. You have RNT, Zink, Winglock, Buck Gardner, Tim Grounds, Gander Valley, R&M, C&S, and on and on and on.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm

A good quality single is the way to go. Plenty of choices. Ducklander has well priced calls as mentioned the coco daisy is a good one too tho I'm not a big fan of rnt but that's a great call to learn on. I like running my lares but I think u shod find one you like and just go for it and make it a good call with the practice you put into it
norcalweaz
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum