competition practice...

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

competition practice...

Postby pond_rat » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Hey just want to get a few tips on how to prepare for a main street competition, besides the basics of practicing the routine. In other words how can one increase their air capacity?
pond_rat
hunter

Re: competition practice...

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:19 pm

I asked this same question when I started comp calling. and honestly the best thing i think as far as air is blow a number of routines back to back until you are gave out. Do that a couple times a day. For example blow 3 routines in a row rest blow 3 more. eventually you will be able to blow 10 in a row. Another thing that may work and this is something I do is to lengthen your reed a little over what you have set and that will force you to build air. In my experience It takes me a little longer to build my air up , it will change from time to time depending on how much your practicing. the more pracrtice = keepin your air built = control of the call. Im no expert but this is just my opinion
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 pm

It's 90 seconds... AND you get breaths in between segments. If you don't have enough air to do that then something is seriously wrong.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Like Trevor said, time your breaths. This will also come into play when you work on the flow of your routine. For me, I just blow a call...everyday for 30 minutes up 3 hours...it just depends. If I am blowing a call and then I lay off of it for a day or two, it takes me a while to build my air back up. Just continue to practice and soon you will have some air built up :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:29 pm

mayhem96 wrote:Like Trevor said, time your breaths. This will also come into play when you work on the flow of your routine. For me, I just blow a call...everyday for 30 minutes up 3 hours...it just depends. If I am blowing a call and then I lay off of it for a day or two, it takes me a while to build my air back up. Just continue to practice and soon you will have some air built up :thumbsup:

You need to lighten your call up then. I can not pick up a call for 6 months and still have enough air to hammer out 3 routines back to back without being out of breath.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:Like Trevor said, time your breaths. This will also come into play when you work on the flow of your routine. For me, I just blow a call...everyday for 30 minutes up 3 hours...it just depends. If I am blowing a call and then I lay off of it for a day or two, it takes me a while to build my air back up. Just continue to practice and soon you will have some air built up :thumbsup:

You need to lighten your call up then. I can not pick up a call for 6 months and still have enough air to hammer out 3 routines back to back without being out of breath.

Yea, but your Trevor Shannahan :yes: :yes:

I need to stay on my daily routine of hammering out routines or else I start to lose my air...just the way it is for me. However, I can lay down a goose call for a week and then pick it up and hammer out a decent routine.

And BTW...I do blow a light duck call :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:56 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:

Yea, but your Trevor Shannahan :yes: :yes:

I need to stay on my daily routine of hammering out routines or else I start to lose my air...just the way it is for me. However, I can lay down a goose call for a week and then pick it up and hammer out a decent routine.

And BTW...I do blow a light duck call :thumbsup:

Idk what to tell you, all I need is 3-4 days to get my control back even after a couple months of layoff, but I never have a problem with air. That's with a duck call, with a goose call I run out of air even when I'm practicing a lot, but that is because I have NO pauses or check goose portions in my routine, it really makes air limited.

I barely ever blow a call anymore, haven't for the past 2 years.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:54 pm

Yea, same with me. It takes me a few days to get my air built back up and then I'm good to go :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:56 pm

mayhem96 wrote:Yea, same with me. It takes me a few days to get my air built back up and then I'm good to go :thumbsup:

No not my air, my control. Air should never be a problem in a duck routine
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm

I am Trevor's biggest fan. I'm coming to Worlds with his name painted on my chest.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 pm

WTN10 wrote:I am Trevor's biggest fan. I'm coming to Worlds with his name painted on my chest.

I was waiting for the, I don't have a problem because I have a lot of hot air joke... Set it up on a tee for you guys... But you swung and missed
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I didn't miss. I lurv yew.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby pond_rat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:53 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:I asked this same question when I started comp calling. and honestly the best thing i think as far as air is blow a number of routines back to back until you are gave out. Do that a couple times a day. For example blow 3 routines in a row rest blow 3 more. eventually you will be able to blow 10 in a row. Another thing that may work and this is something I do is to lengthen your reed a little over what you have set and that will force you to build air. In my experience It takes me a little longer to build my air up , it will change from time to time depending on how much your practicing. the more pracrtice = keepin your air built = control of the call. Im no expert but this is just my opinion

I appreciate the positive feedback, yeah this will be my first time competing, and am really looking forward to it. Thanks
pond_rat
hunter

Postby pond_rat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:It's 90 seconds... AND you get breaths in between segments. If you don't have enough air to do that then something is seriously wrong.

Its not the air factor that I was implying about but rather the manor in which you would break a routine practice down. For instance, i am only practivcing the routine as a whole, I have not been practicing the different aspects of the routine separate..
pond_rat
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:44 pm

pond_rat wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:It's 90 seconds... AND you get breaths in between segments. If you don't have enough air to do that then something is seriously wrong.

Its not the air factor that I was implying about but rather the manor in which you would break a routine practice down. For instance, i am only practivcing the routine as a whole, I have not been practicing the different aspects of the routine separate..

Big mistake IMHO. The biggest thing that has has helped me (and I'm sure Trevor will agree) was to break down my routine and perfect each sequence until I got what I was looking for. I still find myself doing that to this day :thumbsup:

Remember, don't run if you can't walk :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby pond_rat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
pond_rat wrote:

Big mistake IMHO. The biggest thing that has has helped me (and I'm sure Trevor will agree) was to break down my routine and perfect each sequence until I got what I was looking for. I still find myself doing that to this day :thumbsup:

Remember, don't run if you can't walk :thumbsup:[/quote
Nice so what your saying is once the intended sound and control is met then a good combination of whole routine as well as separate aspects should be mixed. Thanks
pond_rat
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Kind of. Once you work on each segment, put a routine together and then blow your routine. It's easier to change parts of your routine when you are doing just that instead of trying to change them in the middle of your entire routine :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Mike Benjamin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Everyone is different, but i disagree with practicing in segments...

Your not competing in segments, your blowing continued segments in a full routine.... not 15 second segments at a time in a routine...

If someone practices only segments, their transistions usually lack because they only work on one part at a time... I personally will blow a whole routine every time, this way I dont get lost, and i know exactly where im at in my routine, and am not trying to smooth out my segments as i blow them... I used to blow segments, until i tried to put a routine together, then i was choppy and made mistakes between segments, because i never practiced the parts between!

I think the best way to practice is try and blow 3 FULL routines back to back to back, with only a short pause between full routines. Not only does this help with practicing full routines as you would blow them on stage, you will figure out where your going to make a mistake, and why. Blowing consecutive routines also helps build your air pressure, and ultimatley the more routines you practice the better you get!

If I didnt blow full routines for practice I wouldnt have known I will spit lock my call on my 3 topper EVERYTIME, ONLY if I practice after ive eaten food! Solution- Dont eat before a contest! Less Spit, No gas, less running to the bathroom (I still have that problem for other reasons tho :oops: )

I could blow segments all day and probably not notice this problem ,but by running my feed into my comeback, my mouth produces more spit after eating, and locked she goes!

What the other guys mention COULD also help, but I look at it as why not practice everything the way your going to it??

Quarterbacks dont practice the snap, dropping back, throwing, and running all in completely seperate segments... they do it all at once so they are used to it in the big game! :thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes!!
Mike Benjamin
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 am

Mike Benjamin wrote:Everyone is different, but i disagree with practicing in segments...

Your not competing in segments, your blowing continued segments in a full routine.... not 15 second segments at a time in a routine...

If someone practices only segments, their transistions usually lack because they only work on one part at a time... I personally will blow a whole routine every time, this way I dont get lost, and i know exactly where im at in my routine, and am not trying to smooth out my segments as i blow them... I used to blow segments, until i tried to put a routine together, then i was choppy and made mistakes between segments, because i never practiced the parts between!

I think the best way to practice is try and blow 3 FULL routines back to back to back, with only a short pause between full routines. Not only does this help with practicing full routines as you would blow them on stage, you will figure out where your going to make a mistake, and why. Blowing consecutive routines also helps build your air pressure, and ultimatley the more routines you practice the better you get!

If I didnt blow full routines for practice I wouldnt have known I will spit lock my call on my 3 topper EVERYTIME, ONLY if I practice after ive eaten food! Solution- Dont eat before a contest! Less Spit, No gas, less running to the bathroom (I still have that problem for other reasons tho :oops: )

I could blow segments all day and probably not notice this problem ,but by running my feed into my comeback, my mouth produces more spit after eating, and locked she goes!

What the other guys mention COULD also help, but I look at it as why not practice everything the way your going to it??

Quarterbacks dont practice the snap, dropping back, throwing, and running all in completely seperate segments... they do it all at once so they are used to it in the big game! :thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes!!
I could see choppy being a factor in goose, but it's kind of tough to be choppy in duck. You are pretty much blowing a routine in segments in duck, it's not like goose where you have to hide where you are getting air.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum