calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

calling

Postby almostpro16 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 pm

I have a decent call that was hand turned for me by Straight Down Game calls. I can feed chuckle and my quacks sound more like the reed is doing too much, I notice that I have more of a quack and cannot get the correct calling sound. . How do I get the proper sound?
There's only two kinds of people in the world. Those who love to hunt ducks and those that have never hunted ducks.
almostpro16
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Columbia, Missouri


Re: calling

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:02 am

Hmmm...figure out how to post a soundfile of you blowing the call that way we can hear what you're talking about. My guess is you have a problem with maybe overblowing the call :huh:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: calling

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:20 am

I haven't heard of this calling company. I remember when I got my BG Spitfire, I had to work it a lot in order for it to make a proper sound. Is your call a single reed? I think you may have to tune it yourself or get someone who knows how. I got my call blowing duck sounds but it was a decent call. Having a decent call may be the problem as well. But like I said, I have never heard of the company.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: calling

Postby almostpro16 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 am

I uploaded a video on youtube so that all could see it. Here is the link.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhpwfPm ... e=youtu.be
There's only two kinds of people in the world. Those who love to hunt ducks and those that have never hunted ducks.
almostpro16
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Columbia, Missouri

Re: calling

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me the reed might be sticking a little. Is this a double or single reed call? If that's the case, that's what was mostly wrong with my BG when I first got it. I slightly bent the reeds up away from the sound board in order to allow the reed (reed and a half) vibrate to make the duck sound. I would also look into some calling tips and instructional videos throughout this site and the internet. You shouldn't have to grunt into a call, and opening your tone hand at the beginning of the note will give it more volume instead of reving it like a motorcycle throttle. From the video, to me, it doesn't sound all that bad. It may just be the call needing to be tuned to how you like or just more practice. I've hunted all my life but just two years ago is when I really got a good call and really started learning the art of communicating with ducks.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: calling

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Sounds to me like the call is either sticking or air locking. My guess is it is air locking. The reason I say this is because the call seems too hard to blow for you. Try trimming the reed down...JMHO :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: calling

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Quite grunting or growling into the duck call when running quacks or stings. As far as the air locking in the single cuts....quite using the tip of your tongue as that creates forward pressure. Tip of the tongue should always be at the gum line of the bottom teeeth.
Way to much to fully explain here. I would suggest spending a little money and order the Carlson Calling A-Z cd and spend a little time learning and applying those lessons.

Ive heard alot worse so dont take this as a knock on you. People need to understand that a duck call is a reed operated instrument that sounds like a duck and will take time to learn to run. Its no different than handing you a sax and you simply trying to play mary had a little lamb. Just trying to put into context.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: calling

Postby SPatrick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Quite grunting or growling into the duck call when running quacks or stings. As far as the air locking in the single cuts....quite using the tip of your tongue as that creates forward pressure. Tip of the tongue should always be at the gum line of the bottom teeeth.
Way to much to fully explain here. I would suggest spending a little money and order the Carlson Calling A-Z cd and spend a little time learning and applying those lessons.

Ive heard alot worse so dont take this as a knock on you. People need to understand that a duck call is a reed operated instrument that sounds like a duck and will take time to learn to run. Its no different than handing you a sax and you simply trying to play mary had a little lamb. Just trying to put into context.

STUMP


X2 on all of this!!! No more grunting. You need to put clean HOT air into the call, almost like you would be fogging up a mirror.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: calling

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:00 pm

The reference word "hut" will do as STUMP and Shaun have said :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: calling

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:30 pm

mayhem96 wrote:The reference word "hut" will do as STUMP and Shaun have said :thumbsup:


Duh hu. Hut is not a referance word I wood recommend! As it has a t in it meaning you would use the tip of your tongue to gate the note.

Stump
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: calling

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:32 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:The reference word "hut" will do as STUMP and Shaun have said :thumbsup:


Duh hu. Hut is not a referance word I wood recommend! As it has a t in it meaning you would use the tip of your tongue to gate the note.

Stump


I don't...I keep the tip anchored behind the bottom row of my teeth (like ya taught me) and cut it off with the middle part of my tongue :thumbsup:

Might not work for some guys though :hi:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: calling

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Yes..you are grunting..putting voice inflection is a different story. It's all about the delivery of the air..I hear a lot of guys blowing clean air through a call...it sounds tinny. Some calls have to be run that way. The way I teach my students...I teach them to vibrate the vocal cords..it gives the reed a more natural sound and a more natural quack. I'm only describing a small amount, of how I get my students on how to get the perfect quack..
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
User avatar
goosehunter64
hunter
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:25 pm
Location: LaSalle, Illinois

Re: calling

Postby Gulfcoast » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:08 am

You can use use "hut" or make the "t" sound all day long with the tip of your tounge anchored like an anvil. It just uses a little different part of the (middle) of the tounge to cut the air off than a "k" sound which is a little farther back on the tounge. Using a "t" sound will make the mouth cavity a little smaller than a "K" sound. The old Carlson tapes (remember the cassette era? :lol3: ) used to go into all sorts of "reference words" to teach different tounge positions, and which had the most/least effect on chamber dimension. I remember "key" being one of the non-traditional ones that worked well for some folks that needed help with the Carlson "upper throat burst." Wendel had all kinda names for this stuff. Not sure if the "post-Wendel" instructional stuff does or not any more.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:24 pm
Location: Pascagoula/Biloxi MS

Re: calling

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 am

All I'm saying is I keep the tip of my tongue anchored behind the bottom row of my teeth and the tip NEVER comes up to gate the note...only the middle part of my tongue.
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: calling

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 am

mayhem96 wrote:All I'm saying is I keep the tip of my tongue anchored behind the bottom row of my teeth and the tip NEVER comes up to gate the note...only the middle part of my tongue.

Mine at times does as well..or floats there. Mostly i use the middle of my tongue to cut off the notes, or my vocal cords...depends on what calls/notes, I'm making at the moment.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
User avatar
goosehunter64
hunter
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:25 pm
Location: LaSalle, Illinois


Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests