quack head

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

quack head

Postby duckbum13 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:53 pm

hey i want to know what every body thinks of the quack head call by r and t if you have one hows the high ball and the feeder chuckle??? and your over all ranking of the :getdown: call that is in the lower price range like that and what other calls are good open water calls adn what about the foiles smm ive heard its a good call but sticks alot so tell me what you think.........
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:26 pm

The call sounds great for a cheap duck call and as far as sticking it sticks as much as any RNT call sticks. If you spit a lot in your call dont buy one you wont like it.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:17 am

The have two Quackhead calls. The J-Frame and the Timber. The J-Frame is molded off of the RNT Original, and the Timber is molded from the Timber. I have a J-Frame that I loved. Good cheap single reed call. My Dad has a Timber and I blew it some this weekend. I think it sounds about 85-90% as good as my Timbre Acrylic. Both calls are molded though, and they sort of 'rattle' like all cheaper calls do. Of course the rattling is part of the 'duck' that all call makers say is built into their calls. I guess I'm just spoiled by my wood and acrylic calls, they blow clean and rich. The 'duck' comes from something how it is blown.

I know this for sure, both Quackhead calls are DEFINATELY good enough to calls ducks, and lots of them! So are a lot of other calls in that price range. Since both Quackhead calls are molded from, and share the same reed set as, RNT custom calls, they also share the same drawbacks, just like duckbum pointed out. However, if you can learn how to drive a Quackhead without sticking it, you'll also be able to drive the custom calls. So it is a double-edged sword. If you spit, overblow, stick, you need to work on your calling anyway.

Just my opinion...
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:08 pm

I've got the Quackhead J-frame and feel that it is an excellent call for the price. It's good enough to go on the lanyard with my acrylics. A good cheap open water call I like is the Southern Game Calls Little Joel. Can be very loud and soft as well. I really like it. don't know about the SMM. I've been wanting to try one out though.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:02 pm

I'm a pure foiles call man myself, but i'll say this.
the J Frame Quackhead is the best single reed poly on the market.
You can find them at walmart for $23 :salude:
Tmoney
hunter

Postby hooked on quack » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:06 pm

i have a quack head you have to put a litle twists and turns and adjustments to make it deeper but once you hit :hammering: the hot spot on it its one of my faviorte calls
when im not hunting my life is being wasted
hooked on quack
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:05 pm

love my quackhead, the best cheap call ive ever bought
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:03 pm

People keep throwing out the word "cheap".......

There is nothing that says you have to spend over a $100 on a call to kill ducks.

It doesn't matter what you spend as long as it gets the job done.....

I'd bet more ducks have been killed using the poor boy calls than the high dollar acrylic calls..... :getdown:

I was gonna pick up a quackhead at Walmart but all they had was the timber model and that's not what I wanted......
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:06 pm

sorry,inexpensive.i dont know if the ducks can tell the difference, but i sure can tell between some of my inexpensive calls and my "high dollar" ones. alot of it is how easy they blow, the range of the pitch, etc. but i haven't noticed any difference in my sucess from one call to the other, and yes, a "cheap" call can get the job done-ive seen it first hand. alot of it-90%-it the caller himself
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:25 pm

travo, wasn't singling you out......alot of people said that in this thread. :mrgreen:
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby GAduck&goose » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:03 pm

For what it's worth, everyone is different and blows different calls differently. Take the advice you get here with a grain of salt. I have a problem sticking my J-frame. Don't have that problem with my acrylic timbre. It's probably just me. You may not have the same problem. I am going to go get a poly timbre after reading Steve's post. Hey, if I don't like it, I will give it to my little girl. Nothing like a 2 year old with a duck call around her neck. :smile:
GAduck&goose
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:09 pm

GAduck&goose wrote:For what it's worth, everyone is different and blows different calls differently. Take the advice you get here with a grain of salt. I have a problem sticking my J-frame. Don't have that problem with my acrylic timbre. It's probably just me. You may not have the same problem. I am going to go get a poly timbre after reading Steve's post. Hey, if I don't like it, I will give it to my little girl. Nothing like a 2 year old with a duck call around her neck. :smile:

i agree with you on this...my 6 year old is already learning how to blow an echo single reed timber call. she sounds about as bad as i do with it but man i like the way she looks while she is trying...:)
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:46 pm

i was at Bass Pro tonight in Atlanta and got my hands on a QuackHead. (i can talk people into anything.) man, compared to my echo timber call, that thing blows like a dream. i couldn't believe how smooth it sounded on the feeder and greeting. i also tried my hand at a highend RNT and it was about the same. i ended up not buying the quackhead though because of the age it was apparently in the package. i have ordered one tonight though and can't wait to get it.

something else i discovered tonight and maybe someone can back me up on it. the REDHEAD (BassPro brand) calls, are they made by RNT? they had a bunch of boxes with RNT on them for the REDHEAD calls. anyone have any info on this?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:06 pm

I think several different call makers produce stuff for the Redhead brand. Usually you'll see markings from both Redhead and the maker. I know Zink has some Redhead calls. I think I even saw what looked like a 'Zink' Redhead with Shawn Stahl's name on it. I haven't seen the calls you are talking about, but it wouldn't surprise me.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Ducker99 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:25 pm

i've got the j-frame and i think its great for the money. It is a good high-ball call but their are better feed chuckle calls in the same price range.
Take EM!
Ducker99
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:28 pm

The Quackhead is definately a great call, and especially for the money! great on the high end, but the feeder could use some work. (Meaning I need to practice a lot more.) :thumbsup:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum