wood duck drake whistle?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

wood duck drake whistle?

Postby hood » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:47 pm

What call do I need to get to mimic the male wood duck's call. It's sounds like zzzeeep! I've seen duck whistles but none that said it mimics a wood duck. Any suggestions?
hood
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:43 pm

i have seen wood duck calls before. Some guys use them as locator calls when turkey hunting. Check around. They got to be out there somewhere.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

haydel's woodduck calls

Postby Reed » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:40 am

Haydels makes a couple woodduck calls to imitate both the squeal and whine of woodducks. W-81 is the squealer, W-90 is the whine. I have both and they work great.
Reed
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:37 pm

From mt experience, the squeel call that a hen woodie makes is only done to locate other ducks and when their under stress, such as, when you jump them in a slough. It seems from my experience using them, they don't turn a duck in our direction, but seem to flair them instead. I think the good ole' Mallard call works the best. Like Hood, I've never seen a call that mimics the drake. If there was one out there, (which there probably is) I think it would work better than the hen call. Just my opinion though, Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Whistle

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:32 am

I got one of those Buck Gardner 6in1 whistles. I could not figure out how to use it for anything any good. Since it fits on my lanyard I used it to get the dogs attention for commands. It seems its a better dog whistle than a duck whistle.

Rob
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Thanks for the info

Postby hood » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:31 am

I appreciate the replies. I have the basic wood duck call, the one that makes the squeal of the hen. I may just stick with that.
hood
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:35 am

I have a Lohman that makes both sounds. Woodies really don't respond to calls. I think they are one track minded little buggers. I have had success when they were on the water using the squeal, though it could have been just good luck.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:24 pm

Primo's makes a wood duck call. about the same as haydel's. it might do the trick. ive worked em with it. pretty good call
Duck Crazy
hunter

Wood Duck Call

Postby willyburnss » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:24 am

You guys will probably laugh. I've pulled woodies with a dog squeaky toy. Works great for that relaxed hen woodie squeak. The "thweep" whistle sound is harder to mimic correctly. Woodies are all over the slough I am hunting, and just a couple shots on the dog toy help them find the dekes. Goofy but fun. Now all I need is a "suzie" dog toy.
willyburnss
Newb

Postby DUCKBAKER » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:26 pm

DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:55 pm

the DUCK COMMANDER makes a great one that is easy to use
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby easttexasduckhunter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:04 pm

i use a primos 6 in 1 whisle and have had good luck with it. I can make it sound like a whine ive been hunting in one slough and the woodies land in another and ive called them to me. the primos 6 in 1 is a great call. :yes:
woodie wacker
easttexasduckhunter
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum