Feeding Call Instructions?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

Feeding Call Instructions?

Postby DuckEraser » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:33 am

Hey there fellows,
New to this site and am very happy I found it. I have been duck hunting for about 18 years and calling for probably around 10 years. I consider myself fair as I can usually get a few ducks into my spread. Anyhow, I have never been able to make the feeding chuckle, or feeding call as some call it. How frustrating!!!! :pissed: Does anyone know of any good cd's or dvd's that are out there that might finally teach me to be able to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks a bunch
DuckEraser
DuckEraser
hunter

Postby KO » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:24 am

I can offer my advice on the feed call.....If you've spent alot of time listening/watching birds...you'll notice that only birds in flight are doing what's commonly called a feeding chuckle....I personally have never heard birds do it on the ground or sitting in water.....I have heard them do something more like a staccato call when on the ground in a field...I do this by saying duh into the call and use a staccato tempo.....on water I use no feed call at all....I use only soft quacks once the birds start working...just never had much luck using a feed call...and now after paying attention to the birds...I realize why it wasn't what I thought it was....But if you want to do it anyway....use the tikka or tooka.....the "T" will get you a sound and "KA" will get you sound...then it's a matter of speeding things up and varying how hard you say the word
KO
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:46 pm

AMEN!!! Just last saturday, before sunrise, I had to opportunity to lay there and just listen to the ducks on the roost. I never once heard a feeding call out of them, and I too cannot make the feed call. That situation made me feel a whole lot better about it.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:13 pm

three weeks before the close here in michigan we had a flight of about 200 mallards drop in on us and some landing just a hundred yards away and i could a lot of feeding chuckles. it was the coolest thing listening to all those birds talk :getdown:
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby Bret » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:35 am

D eraser,

Try Carlsons system of call operation. It is software made for your puter. It is very in depth maybe even to deap. They talk about both types of feed calls the single cut kind that the boys before have mentioned that ducks make commonly when they are on the water, and the double cut comp style feed call.
good luck

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:52 pm

The sound they make in the air and the sound they make while feeding is not the same.........

While feeding, the hen does a cluck......kak-kak-kak-kak

The sound they make while flying can be made by saying the word tick-it or ticka or digga......

The rolling feed call that most people do....ducks don't do that.
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:11 pm

The rolling feed call that most people do....ducks don't do that.

Yes they do, but only when flying. :smile:
I have a 2 acre pond in my back yard and I raise ducks on it year round. I personaly say dug-it----dug-it----dug-it--dug-dug-dug---digt-it---dug-it.ect
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:27 pm

the rolling feed call is to simulate many ducks on the water feeding together. By closing and opening your hand, to cut off air, you can help illustrate many ducks feeding
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:31 pm

however in addition to my last post just doing the rolling feed call alone isnt very effective. you need to add just single cuts and a few quacks in it. You can achive the extra quacks by saying tickaaaa or tugaaa, or whatever you say to make your feed call. just extend the final sound you blow into the call
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Kingfish » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:30 am

If you are going to use the feed chuckle, I was taught to say KITTY KITTY KITTY or KIT-TY KIT-TY KIT-TY. This seems to come off my tounge alittle easier and I can vary the speed better. Good luck.
IT'S THE HUNT - NOT THE HARVEST
Kingfish
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:16 pm

I bought the Keith Allen "Refugeman" CD. I personally think it's great. His intructions say to do baby talk. Like goo goo goo, gaa gaa gaa, doo doo doo. Just instead of doing it in a high voice like your talking to a baby do it in a really low voice. Gradually pick up the speed. This is the basic idea, but I would recommend the CD for sure.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:49 pm

put your toung on the roof of your mouth, and blow
texan68
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:43 pm

I thought the rolling feed call wasn't ment to sound like a duck feeding, it was supposed to be a ton of ducks feeding, I've listend to them probably just as much as everybody else and you never hear it roll like that outa one duck, but if you were goin 40 mph with a bunch of wings wistlin in your ears and you saw 50 ducks sitten on the water and they were feeding what do you think you would here, one duck, no you would hear a mixture of them all, that's why you use the rolling feed call.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby forthshot » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:24 pm

well for some reason i have been able to do the feeding chuckle very well from day one. i have had alot of luck w/ the call and had quite a few ducks respond to it. the cd that i got all of it from is ''Big Guys Best'' and they will tell you that ''tick it'' or just ''tick'' works well thats what i use even when the are coming in close w/ one or two quacks mixed in. i guess they just think they are just content w/ what they are doing.
good luck.
forthshot
hunter

Postby dgquail » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:41 am

I hunt next to a federal refuge with a large lake on it. Last week I went to the edge (on my property of couse), I could not see the ducks, I could see the water, I had been watching all morning ducks go into a certain spot. I could hear them, they were quacking, highballing and feed calling. It was pretty cool. My advice, learn to do it all with any call. It may not be necessary, but we will never know for sure.
dgquail
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:01 am

i agree with PhillipSTD on this one. the rolling feed call was definitely meant to sound like multiple ducks simultaneously. to add a little flavor to it, i do it a couple of different ways. da-dut, da-dut, dut, dut, dut, da-dut, etc. i also like to add a little gorilla grunt to it for a raspier sound. i will use the ticka-ticka-ticka sound as well. it just took a lot more call time to learn. practice, practice, practice. you'll be surprised at how quickly you pick it up though. i went from sounding completely stupid with a call to sounding not bad in about 1 month. but that was discipling myself to blow it everytime i got in my truck to go somewhere and in my office (co-workers pick on me about it) whenever the opportunity presented itself. i was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he asked how it was coming along. i blew it into the phone and he was shocked at the improvement and the quality of the sound.. :thumbsup:

just work at the rolling feed, eventually you'll hit a sequence and figure out how you did it. mostly though, it's just about training your tongue to get the proper timing. good luck.
shrpshtr
hunter

Feed Call

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:22 am

Learn to throw some quacks and a greeting call into the sequence as well...it really works well! :thumbsup:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:26 pm

The noise that the ducks make on the water is more of a contentment call isntead of a feeding call. It's a lot slower than what most hunters do, with some quacks mixed in. TIK....TIK.....TIK. .QUACK..TIK. If you have a lot of decoys you should speed it up to simulate many ducks. And the more callers the better, just try to have it where you're all blowing different calls to get a wider range of tones and noises.
the_duckinator
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum