Single or Double Reed?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Single or Double Reed?

Postby AddictedtoQuack » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:29 am

I've been using a double reed for as long as I can remember. Some of my buddies poke at me for using one, as if it's inferior to a single.

What advantages do you see to going to a single?
AddictedtoQuack
hunter

Postby mossbergman » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:10 am

well my guess is they are pokin at you because double reeds aside from situational callin are deemed newbie calls as they are easier to blow. Just go with what works they wont be pokin when there singles freeze up and your still tooting. single reeds with experience produce a wider range of calls though and have a much greater range for hailing.
mossbergman
Newb

Postby Chris_Hustad » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:54 pm

mossbergman wrote:go with what works they wont be pokin when there singles freeze up and your still tooting.

I wasn't aware that singles freeze up more than doubles??? I would've guessed it was the other way around.
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:24 am

personaly I like a single reed. I seem to be able to get more volume and a better varity of sounds and pitches. If you want to try a single reed an awsome call that I personaly use is a primos PHAT lady... It's a awsome call for the price. Hope my info helps.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbuster808 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:46 pm

single reeds reach out farther they are also a little harder to blow. but other then that they have no advatages. i have been using a double all my life and have never had a problem calling ducks....stick with what is easier to blow for you not what is easier for someone else.
duckbuster808
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:41 pm

I use a double reed quite a lot,not a thing wrong with that wether its easier or not.I also use a shotgun to fire steel pellets at ducks and geese mainly because its easier than throwing them.Easier is good. :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Huntinracer » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:17 pm

I learned on a double reed and as I got better I tried a single and practiced on it over the winter and tried new things with it and then tried the new stuff on the double and I couldnt do it.....so basically become really good with the double and then get a single and practice with it and expand your horizons on the subject and maybe learn new things.
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby Jeepman:-) » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:39 pm

The single reed or double reed dosnt matter. the tonal range of the call has little to do with the number of reeds. The CUT of the reed and the BOARD give you that.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby daffydone » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:29 am

I feel that both are good, though the double is easier to blow. I use both for a little variety and to keep'em guess'n. :thumbsup:
eye's to the sky, safty on, gun loaded, let's go hunt'n !!!!!!
daffydone
Newb

Postby Christian Curtis » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:20 pm

The basic difference between a single and double reed is the tone or tones able to be produced by the call. With a double reed, you basically get one "pitch" no matter how you put air in the call. On most well made DR calls, that one pitch is definitely a duck....but it is only one duck. This is because the top reed restricts the bottom reed with respect to the distance it can move. A single reed, on the other hand, will produce a wide range of "pitches" and is limited only by the operator's proficiency in blowing one, not by an extra reed. (i.e. you can sound like many different ducks.) (Obviously we are talking about a single reed duck call that is well manufactured and a capable tool. There are many good calls on the market today.) As far as starting off with a double reed then going to a single reed...at all of my seminars, I HIGHLY discourage this practice. IT does way more harm than good. The calls operate totally different! It's like saying, go play European Football (Soccer), then when you get good at it, switch over to American rules. Just ain't the same game...My suggestion is this; If you like how the DR's sound and blow then stick with them...If you like the way a SR sounds then stick with those. SR's are harder to learn BUT, in my opinion they are worth the extra practice time.
Christian Curtis
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:23 am

Christian....you beat me to it!...you stated the true differences between SR and DR. Single reed calls give you a tone range of 1-10 where a DR gives you around 3-7 range. DR calls have basicly the same tone just louder or softer. They will also sound like the same duck....every time you blow it. I personally never have used a DR and never will. That being said... use the call that you can get the ducks in close with. To me, the extra practice using a SR call will cause you to buy more film for the camera!
T-
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DrakeDowner » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:55 pm

I guess im riding fences because i carry one of each to use in any situation. :smile:
100 years lived in fear in is a tragedy, a day lived without fear is a triumph- Bruce Lee
DrakeDowner
hunter

Postby Keith S. » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:28 pm

I use to carry a double and single reed, but I have learned to properly use a single reed and you get so many more sounds out of the single reed. You can go from a hail call to a young hen greating to an old big hen, you can't do that with a double.
Keith S.
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum