Which Brand

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Which Brand

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:21 pm

What brands out there are the best to buy. I really have no preference just want a good call that i can kill ducks with. But which brands are the best?
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:05 am

personal preference
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby KO » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:57 am

The really high end calls are catered to contests or after them...they have incredible volume, but require alot of practice......low end calls...stay away from.....there are alot of mid range calls....that 30 to 80.00 range....including alot of custom calls on the web......check around and find one that fits your fancy......
KO
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:25 pm

not trying to be rude but you dont kill ducks with your duck call and in my oppinion the place where your hunting and your decoys are way more important. i just watched a video or jeff foiles working his smm and the birds kept flaring so he shut his call up a lilttle bit adn got some more ducks to come in just my point of veiw
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby KO » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:49 pm

I'd have to agree w/decoys, but if I couldn't call ducks...I wouldn't hunt....just a thrill to talk to them....and yes over calling and bad calling are 2 great ways to conserve birds
KO
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:00 pm

Cheapo $4 mallard drake 6-1 whistle and 3 decoys...kills em on small water everytime. Fields or bigger water require more visability. Ducks will decoy with no calling...I left my calls at home one time and still had a great hunt. Get something to play with before making an investment unless ya got some money to burn. Check out e-bay for pictures and prices. Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:56 pm

Calling is third on the list, perhaps even farther down. But to be a COMPLETE hunter, you've got to be able to call in a fashion that will set ducks on the water. That isn't saying you have to sound like the pros, you just need to figure out what they want to hear. But if you can't call, you're missing a VERY important tool in the arsenal.

Just my opinion...
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:58 pm

All brands of calls are good, it just depends on how the operator works the call. If you can blow a duck call, then you can make any call out there sound awesome. Just try a bunch out and see what you like. :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:13 am

Man you just gonn hafta open up the wallet and try a few until you find what works. It may be a $20.00 Primos or a $130.00 RNT. Take the ones you don't like and use them to start someone else new in the sport. They may love what you don't like.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:34 pm

it may sound crazy, but my most expensive duck call is the one im most dissapointed with. i bought a 127$ RNT redneck, and it doesnt sound any better than the other 22 5-30$ duck calls i collected in the last 5 years. the best "cheap" call i have, though is an RNT quackhead, same company, lower dollar call. i own alot of calls, but the one i use most is my Northern Prairie single reed, which i paid 80 bucks for. but, starting out, for the money, id get a quackhead.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby outdoorsetc1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:15 pm

buck garner makes way good polly calls.got mine for 12$ and I can make ducks go round and round my nabor hood looking for me.honest never seen so many ducks confused in my life lol!!!
Im going fishing cuz I cant duck hunt right now!
outdoorsetc1
hunter

Postby plainsman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:46 am

I've been using a SMM and a Winglock double, both sound great but have sticking issues due to condensation. Next year I'll be switching to a Doc call and a Giden to see if I can solve the sticking problem.Both of these calls are supposed to be awesome from what I've been told. I guess I'll find out when the temp starts to drop
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:37 am

My Buck Gardners and Primos calls work just as well as the $100 calls in my opinion. But, I would have to say that your decoy setup is more important. I think all the calling in the world is useless on a $150 call or a $10 call if they don't like what they see on the ground/water! Again, my opinion...and it isn't worth much! :salude:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Franchi » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:28 pm

Walmart can hook right up for @ 10-15 dollars. Just read the boxes and choose which one you would like. They sell Primos, Quaker Boy, Loman...ect which are all good brands to mess with.
Get Down ! Get Down ! Here they come.
Franchi
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:53 pm

I really like my RNT quackhead it was about 20 buckaroos with a video and a (albiet not of high quality) free lanyard. it sounds good, and it doesn't break the bank.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby easttexasduckhunter » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:15 pm

the primos orginal wench, the duck commander old raspy, and wiley are some good ones u might want to try out they are all ive ever used and they are cheap and ive called alot of ducks in with them but ill have to agree that the calling is not as important as the decoy set up and most of all stay hid.
woodie wacker
easttexasduckhunter
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:44 pm

ok yes true calling isnt what kills ducks for you i agree that was my mistake in wording, however when it comes to calling what do you think is the best call to have. Me personally, I've tried cheap calls and I prefer expensive ones. I like the sound and the range of Pitch and control I can achieve on expensive calls. I like the saying you get what you pay for. If you get a $10 or under call it won't last. At least thats what i have found
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum