Hedge Daisy Cutter Re-Finish

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Hedge Daisy Cutter Re-Finish

Postby Dbishop311 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Recently took in a Hedge Daisy Cutter. Moisture had gotten under the clear coat and it was starting to peel. Stripped off the clear coat and added a few coats of boiled Linseed Oil. I think the dull finish looks better on Hedge calls. Looks much better. Next is a Gen 3 Hedge Daisy Cutter :eek: Ill try to help anyone that has any ?'s.
Before

After
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Re: Hedge Daisy Cutter Re-Finish

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Nice job on that one, gotta love that dull finish. Might could use a few tips from you this coming week, thinking about restoring a short barrel I picked up recently.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:58 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing what you used to strip the lacquer. The rest I could do/figure out on my own.
jrode237
hunter

Postby moreychuck » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:01 pm

very nice
Glimmerjim wrote:
I always wondered why I seem to like myself so much when I am watching pink snakes crawl through my walls.
moreychuck
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Looks pretty slick. Nice Job.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Looks good Dylan!
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:48 pm

jrode237 wrote:I wouldn't mind hearing what you used to strip the lacquer. The rest I could do/figure out on my own.

Strip eze or strip x. You can get it at any lowes, home depot, or Sherwin williams. Theres probably other products out there that work but these two are guarantees :thumbsup: Careful it makes the call slicker than a cats arse! Almost dropped it a couple times. :fingerhead:
Heres the OSDC. Dont have a good before picture. But it had a few bubbles and some of the clear coat was peeling off also. Still needs a few more coats of oil but you get the idea.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby Goose Isle Gunner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 pm

I like the oil finish myself! Looks good. Hope you're not planning on selling the OSDC. One would think you just took a good $100 off the call by removing the original finish.
Goose Isle Gunner
hunter

Postby catdiesel15 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Sweet, I recall that DC ...
catdiesel15
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Goose Isle Gunner wrote:I like the oil finish myself! Looks good. Hope you're not planning on selling the OSDC. One would think you just took a good $100 off the call by removing the original finish.

Honestly, list it with a "wax" oil finish and it probably just gained $250 in value. Gotta remember the more "rare" the call is percieved to be, the higher the price. Even though every one of them was turned on a CNC.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Goose Isle Gunner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:33 pm

jrode237 wrote:
Goose Isle Gunner wrote:I like the oil finish myself! Looks good. Hope you're not planning on selling the OSDC. One would think you just took a good $100 off the call by removing the original finish.

Honestly, list it with a "wax" oil finish and it probably just gained $250 in value. Gotta remember the more "rare" the call is percieved to be, the higher the price. Even though every one of them was turned on a CNC.

I disagree. Think there was a re-finished Butch call recently that sold for far less than the norm. I wouldn't call a re-finish rare. Who knows though. Someone out there might NEED to have it :fingerhead:
Goose Isle Gunner
hunter

Postby catdiesel15 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:18 am

Goose Isle Gunner wrote:
jrode237 wrote:
Goose Isle Gunner wrote:I disagree. Think there was a re-finished Butch call recently that sold for far less than the norm. I wouldn't call a re-finish rare. Who knows though. Someone out there might NEED to have it :fingerhead:

You didn't think Jacob was serious did you ? :smile:
catdiesel15
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:25 am

Looks great, but during my gun stock refinishing phase, I found the water resistance of boiled linseed oil disappointing.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:06 am

Rick, what was it again you had the most success with? I am seriously entertaining the idea of doing this to an old hedge SB I have.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:17 am

Let's hope Arron Wingert or others with looks and durability experience chime in on this one. To get both on gun stocks, I had better luck with both commercial tung and linseed oil hybrid (with euathane?) finishes. But for ease of use and durability only, I've been using Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner on my wood calls the past few years, with the only "shortcoming" I've seen being that the duller finish looks more well used than pristine. Which bothers me no a bit in a working call. Rather like it, in fact.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:02 am

Rick Hall wrote:Let's hope Arron Wingert or others with looks and durability experience chime in on this one. To get both on gun stocks, I had better luck with both commercial tung and linseed oil hybrid (with euathane?) finishes. But for ease of use and durability only, I've been using Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner on my wood calls the past few years, with the only "shortcoming" I've seen being that the duller finish looks more well used than pristine. Which bothers me no a bit in a working call. Rather like it, in fact.

I agree. The dull finish on certain woods looks much better. Deff looks better than what it did. Im sure theres other things you can use but someone gave me this idea so I ran with it. I dont plan on selling anytime soon. Between these two calls and the Human skull JSDC they will be getting their fair share of rope time this year. :beer: I would like to hear of any other products that guys like to use. Got another call I need to do this to.
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:33 pm

jrode237 wrote:Rick, what was it again you had the most success with? I am seriously entertaining the idea of doing this to an old hedge SB I have.

I've used teak oil on mine with good results. As far as stripping goes jabsco is as good as it gets.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby delliott92 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:13 pm

I have a hedge short barrel I'd like to do this too. But it's the burnt hedge. Y'all reckon it'll be fine?
Mallards=56
Teal-23
Snows-24
Specks-32
Redhead-4
Canvasback-3
Ringneck-1
Wood duck-4
delliott92
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 pm

I wouldn't try it with mine. I doubt the burn lines will show.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby jrode237 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 am

delliott92 wrote:I have a hedge short barrel I'd like to do this too. But it's the burnt hedge. Y'all reckon it'll be fine?

I did mine last night. I will try to post a pic this afternoon. Turned out pretty decent. I used strip x to get rid of the lacquer (works even better when you read the directions and let it sit and work on the call rather than putting it on a rag and trying to manually Peel it off :wink: ) After the lacquer was off I washed it with dawn dish soap to make sure it was clean of any of the strip x (stuff is nasty, good thing I didn't wear gloves like they recommended). For the oil, I decided anything was better than none, and since I couldnt find any of the ones recommended (seen Byers post too late as i do recall seeing teak oil) i decided to try the ol' trusty Hoppes gun oil. I figured it has been working on my wood gun stocks for years, won't hurt to try it. I think it turned out pretty good. Not perfect, but for a hunt call I could care less.
jrode237
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:49 pm

jrode237
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Looks sweet Jro. Much better than the gloss finish. Just looks more of a hunting call in my opinion.
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 pm

that's nice lookin'
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:18 pm

"Looks sweet" is right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby delliott92 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 pm

How'd y'all shine y'all's band?
Mallards=56
Teal-23
Snows-24
Specks-32
Redhead-4
Canvasback-3
Ringneck-1