Hedge Daisy Cutter Re-Finish

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

Re: Hedge Daisy Cutter Re-Finish

Postby delliott92 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:46 pm

I got it! Thanks for all the help! A little steel wool did the trick.
Attachments
image.jpg
Mallards=56
Teal-23
Snows-24
Specks-32
Redhead-4
Canvasback-3
Ringneck-1
Wood duck-4
delliott92
hunter

Postby delliott92 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 pm

image.jpg
Thanks! I got it! A little steel wool did the trick!
Last edited by delliott92 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mallards=56
Teal-23
Snows-24
Specks-32
Redhead-4
Canvasback-3
Ringneck-1
Wood duck-4
delliott92
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Those look great fellas
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby awingert » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:28 pm

I love the look of oil finished calls. And you cannot beat the durability. To me, those RNT's look 1000% better when they're oiled as opposed to that dipped finish. Especially the aged hedge! First time I've seen that on and RNT and I'm on board for sure. Darn nice work guys.

Boiled linseed oil is a pretty workable finish and has been used for decades on calls. No doubt it'll work fine. I don't use it because I don't think it offers the protection that some other oils do, but it will absolutely work. I'd re-apply periodically.

My preference is a product called Velvit Oil (not spelled Velvet) but their retail availability is pretty minimal. I have mine shipped in. A product that you can get at any hardware or paint store is teak oil. Teak oil has a thinner viscosity and more carriers, so I think you'll get better penetration with it. Tung oil works well too, but takes a long time to dry in comparison.

Whichever oil you use, let that call soak for hours. Totally submerge it, put a lid on it and forget about it for at least several hours. Some custom callmakers even pull a vacuum on their calls that are submerged in oil just to get really good penetration. That isn't necessary, but a good long soak cannot hurt. As soon as you remove them, wipe them dry and then check them periodically for days and re-wipe as necessary. The wood will often sweat out extra oil, which usually wipes right off unless you leave it for days....At which point it might require a little light work to get it off.

The only think I'd caution folks against is using vegetable oil or any other sort of cooking oil. They'll go rancid in the wood and can make you sick.
Aaron Wingert
awingert
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Just what I was looking for Mr.Wingert. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:35 am

Quick question if you see this again Mr. Wingert........my local hardware store carries all of the velvit stains/conditioners in a variety of colors. Do i just want/need "Natural" color?
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 am

delliott92 wrote:I got it! Thanks for all the help! A little steel wool did the trick.

Yep, or Scotch-Brite. Use that first to get the crud off the band and then polish it with Brasso :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:26 pm

I removed the lacquer and was going to use teak oil. When I found I was out, I went to buy some, but didn't want a gallon.
I got butcher block oil, that is mineral oil. Any advice on using this stuff??
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:24 am

I use Howard's butcher block oil on my hedge calls and like the "well used" look it provides and doubt you can beat it for water protection, but other oils may be prettier than a blend like Howard's with caranauba and beeswax.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Aaron told me not to use butchers block oil.
But I didn't get the message til it was too late.
Attachments
image.jpg
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby awingert » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Can't argue with that look, it came out great. I'm not a fan of mineral oil based "finishes" because they do not dry like oils that are intended for use as finishes do. Probably not a big deal, but I'd frequently reapply it.
Last edited by awingert on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Wingert
awingert
hunter

Postby awingert » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 pm

jrode237 wrote:Quick question if you see this again Mr. Wingert........my local hardware store carries all of the velvit stains/conditioners in a variety of colors. Do i just want/need "Natural" color?

Sorry I never saw this. I use the natural color...No pigments.
Aaron Wingert
awingert
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:34 am

awingert wrote:
jrode237 wrote:Quick question if you see this again Mr. Wingert........my local hardware store carries all of the velvit stains/conditioners in a variety of colors. Do i just want/need "Natural" color?

Sorry I never saw this. I use the natural color...No pigments.

Thank you sir. From your experience, would treating the toneboard by leaving it soak have any effect on the calls sound or how it runs (ie. would it be more susceptible to sticking because of the oil)? I plan on soaking the barrels of a few calls I have but I don't want to potentially ruin a toneboard because of it.
jrode237
hunter

Postby awingert » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Many, many callmakers use Velvit Oil on their toneboards (myself included). I've never had any sort of swelling due to its application. Honestly the risk of the wood swelling due to saliva is significant, so any finish is better than no finish in my opinion. Velvit Oil will not form a gloss on the surface of the wood, because after you soak it you wipe the surface so no residual oil is left on it, and what is there can dry. So I have not had any issues with sticking that could be attributed to the oil.
Aaron Wingert
awingert
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum