plastic reed or metal reeds? which is better and why

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

plastic reed or metal reeds? which is better and why

Postby PsychoZ » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:54 pm

is there any difference in the two types, plastic and metal. Is there a preference for one over the other and if so why.

also acrylic or wood call bodies, I have heard that the acrylics are louder, is that the only difference or are their other differences.

thanks for the info
PsychoZ
hunter

Postby KO » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:13 pm

as far metal vs plastic or mylar....I know of no metal reeds in use....metal fatigue over time or get bent...I have an old herters call with a metal reed....cool call..sounds like crap by todays standards....

Acrylic is louder, weather has no affect on it....Wood is mellow, (more duck like in my opinion) a good wood call is sealed against most weather...Its really a preferance thing...I blow only wood just because it sounds more like a duck....
KO
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:53 pm

The only metal reed I have seen is the one in my wood duck call. I think they don't use metal reeds in my calls. Most calls use plastic. I would go with plastic because I think they will last longer.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:52 pm

Interesting thread metal reeds predate me by a ways. The only ones I have blown were antiques. They sounded like antiques. So I don't know much about that I hope someone does I am interested in reading about it.

Wood is mellow sounding also the sound will change from weather conditions even humidity will have effect on the sound as well as temp. I love a good wood call.

Acrylic is more dense does not change from weather conditions. Is crisp in sound but does have a tendencey to stick from condensation more than wood. Louder ? I don't know I have two calls that are the same one is hedge the other is acrylic in volume they are pretty close. The acrylic sure slaps harder though I think there is more body in the acrylic. Especially on top. An acrylic will probably out last the wood call.
I love a good acrylic too.
Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:04 pm

Metal reeds are still being made. Glynn Scobey makes a good metal reed duck call. It's called the Reelfoot style call because it was made to be used there on a big lake where you may need lots of volume.

Basically, metal reeds are for those situations when you are on a big lake or the wind is really blowing and you need to be super loud to get the ducks attention and that's all. It's a long range call. Once you get the ducks attention and they are coming in, switch over the plastic reed because a metal reed sounds like s*** if you try and get low with it. Just my 2 cents. :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:10 am

metal reeds are for those situations when you are on a big lake or the wind is really blowing and you need to be super loud to get the ducks attention and that's all. It's a long range call.

That's what the Big Guys Best is for..... :yes: :yes:
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:56 pm

My Dad just ordered a custom Cajun Style call that has a metal reed.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:04 pm

you know I would love to rap my lips around a modern day reelfoot call. I have never blown a newer one. who is making them these days?
Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:08 pm

Go to www.glynnscobey.com He's got some reelfoot style metal reeds. They don't cost alot either. A guy I hunt with has one and it sounds good on a real windy day.
quackkiller
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum