Reason to blow a single reed call.....

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Reason to blow a single reed call.....

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:51 pm

What is the reason you blow a single reed call?

Barnie Calif (sp) 3 time world champion duck caller and hunter says about the only thing a double reed can't do that a single reed can is the ringing hail call....and he prefers a single.
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:52 pm

The ringing hail call is cool, I think a single is easier on clucks and feeding calls. The single sounds cleaner and more crisp in my opinion.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:59 pm

I've always blown a double and would like to buy a high end call, but not sure if I want to risk going to a single or just staying with a double.

A ringing hail call isn't important to me at all.....this far south, the ducks ain't trying to hear much screaming.....
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:07 pm

I prefer a single for a couple of reasons.

First, a ringing hail comes in handy on big lakes in blizzards, hurricanes, driving rain what have you. So why not have that in your bag of calling tricks. I know some say it is no good for calling ducks, and most times I agree. I don't use it that often but I use it, and it works in the situations noted, and a few others. If nothing else like said before it is cool :cool:

Second, most double reed calls load up easy. often when I need to call I pick it up and there is a bunch of moisture in between the reeds so the call sticks. I hate that.

Third, I like the control. The single gives me the steering wheel I can run it higher in pitch on demand, or sweeten it up easier. To me blowing a double kind of feels like riding a bike with training wheels it is fun and gets me there but one day you take 'em off and you just don't want them back on.

Double reed calls are good calls I don't mean to say they are not. I have some that I love the Rowdy DOA double trouble is a great sounding call, and there are plenty of others. They sure kill tons of ducks every year, but when I buy a custom almost always it is a single. I don't think there is anything wrong with hunting with a double if it is working for you especially.

My 2 bits

Bret
Last edited by Bret on Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bret
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:10 pm

I had one at one time :oops: I lost it. I liked it because they sound good.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:41 pm

The single reed is more versatile than a double reed. You can get more sounds out of a single than a double and it is much easier to do clucks and feed chuckles on a single reed. :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:50 pm

I use an an old Olt double my dad gave for sentimentel reasons and it sounds real nice, but every other duck call on my lanyard is a single. They are much more versitale. A double sounds the same no matter what you do.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:00 pm

Whatever works for you is the ticket---single, double or even a yentsen triple. Whatever you choose, be the man with it----own it.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:16 pm

I can make my double reed call sound more versatile then some of the single reed calls I blow
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:09 pm

My son just bought a BG Tall Timber ll in a single reed from Walmart.....it was $13 and came with a 6in1 whistle......it sounds pretty decent for a cheap call.....and he is going to start learning on it.....his quacks don't sound too bad.......
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:47 pm

For hunting I usually blow a double. I sound more ducky on a double. But, I'm trying to get into some comp. calling so I always practice with a single. I've found, after recording myself, that I'm alot cleaner and sharper on a single. :getdown:
I think it's neat to be able to pick up any type call and sound good on it. I'm not there yet but I'm not giving up untill I am. :smile:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:36 am

I have one of each on my lanyard, for some reason I just cant really blow the double cleanly from top to bottom.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:20 am

Check out this old thread from THIS forum. Pay attention to the response from Christian Curtis. He is/was a custom call maker, a World Champion duck caller, one hell of a duck hunter, and a pretty smart dude. He aint very pretty though...

:mrgreen:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=246

:thumbsup:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum