Who else carries only one Mallard call on the Lanyard?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Who else carries only one Mallard call on the Lanyard?

Postby Felsenthal » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:32 pm

I keep a back-up in the bag but I really can't stand a bunch of calls rattling and clanging around my neck. I have also found often when calling' in excitement, I think I am reaching for a Loud call and I accidently get a finishing call and then I squeal the call. I believe in one call to cover all the bases. Keep it simple and master the one call to the fullest.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:35 pm

I have one mallard call if you don't count a whistle drake call
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:39 pm

Same here. One Mallard call, a 6-n-1 whistle and the Lab's whistle. I have found you can do more than you think with one call when that is all you have on the strings.
" Never show up as a guest on a hunt with your dog. Never take the best shooting spot. Leave the call in your pocket. Never ask to come back. Keep your mouth shut after the hunt. Always bring gifts. "
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:41 pm

actually I only have one mallard call, I guess I have a shaker call too :umm: I don't even like to wear my calls around my neck because they nock against each other and make noise. I just set them on my stomach when I am sitting in my blind.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Felsenthal » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:10 am

Those shakers sound nice but be careful, if you hunt sloughs, shorelines and flooded timber, they can see the hand movement. If you are in a blind----no problem.
Felsenthal
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:39 pm

I carry two hen mallard calls, but one is tuned high for bluebills. Snow, and canada calls, and a whistle, which I use for pintails, drake mallard, wigeon, teal, and woodduck
texan68
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:32 pm

I have 12 different mallard calls on my lanyard. most of them are acrylic competition calls that required me to sell blood every week for 6 months just to buy....not that any of them are actually any good in a duck blind, but they sure are impressive while hanging around in the parking areas.

in addition to the duck calls, i also carry a few goose calls....i don't hunt geese, too many restrictions on them in the area i live, but i sure do like the way they sound. it is fun to show off and call at passing geese when the duck hunting is slow...though i don't think the other people hunting around me like it much. they are probably just jealous that they don't have a 200.oo dollar custom signature series goose call like i do.

let's see...in the "miscelaneous" section of my lanyard is my widgeon whistle..drake whistle..dog whistle..remote for the dog's shock collar that i leave in the cab of my truck..bottle opener (for those really slow days)..and my predator call. predator call?? you say. well, you never know when a duck hunt may turn into an impromptu coyote hunt. happened to a distant cousin of mine once. boy, was he sorry he left his call at home.

did i mention my bands? well, i only have one REAL band. the other 20 bands on my lanyard came with the various calls and other equipment i've purchased over the years. you can't really tell that they aren't the real deal...a true waterfowler has at least 20 or more bands on their lanyard. nothing says "serious hunter" like a pound of shiny metal hanging around your neck while trying to hide in a duck blind.

oh yeah, my lanyard..well, the sheer weight and number of all my calls and bands has forced me to move on from "traditional" lanyards. now i use a peice of logging rope with 30 different drops..each drop being made from a different color and type of rope. sure, it can get confusing sometimes, but hey...it's not which call i use..it's how many people that see me using it that counts.

well, gotta go...time to go work out my neck and shoulder muscles. those bands and calls don't carry themselves you know.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:59 pm

swamp puppy,

Are you serious?

I want a picture of that....

:toofunny:

Did you buy the bands on Ebay??
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:54 pm

i heave to many calls around my neck. but i use them all. grabbing the wrong call sucks though.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:22 pm

That is TOO funny Swamp Puppy!!!

:toofunny:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:52 pm

ok, enough funny business. :cool:

normally, my lanyard has my one mallard call. an RNT Bois D'Arc short barrel. also, i have a widgeon whistle since half of what i shoot out here is widgeon. currently, i have a Sonderman 66 (a newer version of the Olt 66) on my lanyard in place of the RNT. The RNT needs tuning...i miss it dearly.

ok ok ok....yes, i do have my ONE band on my lanyard. :oops:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:48 am

oh yeah, my lanyard..well, the sheer weight and number of all my calls and bands has forced me to move on from "traditional" lanyards. now i use a peice of logging rope with 30 different drops..each drop being made from a different color and type of rope. sure, it can get confusing sometimes, but hey...it's not which call i use..it's how many people that see me using it that counts.

Now that's funny, :laughing: very true for alot of people. I myself have fallen it to the "show" of duck hunting. I love it though.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at nobody else. :smile:
The really funny people are the ones with all the expensive calls that don't even know how to blow them. :laughing:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:42 am

Giv'em3 -i see some funny stuff 'round here in the "duck show" department. i hunt quite often at a local refuge system. it's your basic fish and wildlife run operation. people line up, draw chips, then get called up to the checkstation to pick which designated blind they want to hunt out of. i like it because it is close to my house and i can get out for a quick morning hunt with the dog and be home by 11am without much fuss. it is truly "no-hassle" duck hunting...or you would think so.

what really transpires is something akin to a duck hunter fashion show.

there is a group of young guys that all wear matching sweatshirts with their names printed on the chest along with their "team" name..said team name has also been stickered all over their truck. -way to go guys...you take first prize in the "what were you thinking?" contest.

another group of guys i see seem to always have a really nice boat hooked up to their rig. errrr...why? or more appropriately, if you have a really nice boat why aren't you hunting someplace really nice? lots of good hunting on the columbia river boys....but all you're doing here is taking up extra parking space. yes, it is a nice boat. however, if you really don't want to get that brand new prop dinged up or that new quick grass all muddy, why don't you just leave it at home?

i loved this one...while standing around the checkstation one morning i actually overheard a guy getting upset with his hunting partner because his partner's new 500.00 waterfowling jacket's camo pattern wasn't the exact same version of advantage wetlands pattern as the pair of 2 year old waders he was wearing.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:47 am

98ramtough wrote:swamp puppy,

Did you buy the bands on Ebay??

you can do that?? :eek:

well hell....i may need a new lanyard now.

(btw...sorry for the double post.)
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:22 pm

You've got to be kidding me! I bet that lanyard weighs a ton! :eek:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:20 am

Swamp Puppy wrote:Giv'em3 -i see some funny stuff 'round here in the "duck show" department. i hunt quite often at a local refuge system. it's your basic fish and wildlife run operation. people line up, draw chips, then get called up to the checkstation to pick which designated blind they want to hunt out of. i like it because it is close to my house and i can get out for a quick morning hunt with the dog and be home by 11am without much fuss. it is truly "no-hassle" duck hunting...or you would think so.

what really transpires is something akin to a duck hunter fashion show.

there is a group of young guys that all wear matching sweatshirts with their names printed on the chest along with their "team" name..said team name has also been stickered all over their truck. -way to go guys...you take first prize in the "what were you thinking?" contest.

another group of guys i see seem to always have a really nice boat hooked up to their rig. errrr...why? or more appropriately, if you have a really nice boat why aren't you hunting someplace really nice? lots of good hunting on the columbia river boys....but all you're doing here is taking up extra parking space. yes, it is a nice boat. however, if you really don't want to get that brand new prop dinged up or that new quick grass all muddy, why don't you just leave it at home?

i loved this one...while standing around the checkstation one morning i actually overheard a guy getting upset with his hunting partner because his partner's new 500.00 waterfowling jacket's camo pattern wasn't the exact same version of advantage wetlands pattern as the pair of 2 year old waders he was wearing.

:mrgreen: :laughing: :laughing:
Oh yeah,baby. Git're Done :thumbsup:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum