trimming the reed?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

trimming the reed?

Postby hood » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:46 am

I bought an easy mallard call from primos and the thing sounds like its too low in pitch. I f I trim the reed back a little, would this raise the pitch to a higher note or would it just screw up the call altogether?
hood
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:43 pm

It will raise the pitch. It will also make the call take less air to blow. I am not familiar with that call so you might screw it up too. If you decide to take some off take a very very small amount like a sliver. Because once you take to much off the reed is spent.

Good luck

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby KO » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:38 pm

Hood,

If you trim the reed the pitch will go up, but you will also change the distance the reed is from the sound board...my advice is to get a piece of mylar to cut a new reed rather than cut the current one....that will allow you to experiment a little....Kurt

kdcalls.com
KO
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:21 pm

KO is right......cut another reed to experiment with, that way if you screw up, you still have the original reed.
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:20 pm

I'd also agree with getting a new piece of mylar to cut a new one. Another piece of advice, is that those companies make the calls the way the do for one reason or another. Also let some other people listen to you blow it. Sometimes what you hear when you're blowing it isn't always what it sounds like out in front of you.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:11 pm

I shaved a tiny bit off my Phat Lady today and it raised the tone considerably......a little dab will definently do you.... :mrgreen:
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum