calling ducks on public land

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

calling ducks on public land

Postby duckydoo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:05 pm

Ya so I was out in the marsh the other day duck hunting on public.
2 other people were set up about 100 yrds away (I was there first, about 3 hours first). I spotted a flock of mallards and began calling they were working my dekes, committed, and incoming. Next thing u know the 2 guys started calling at my ducks. They kept calling and calling like there was no tomorrow. Essentially spooking the ducks away. Ok so I said forget about it. There's plenty of ducks around. Next flock were working again and they were on the final pass which they glided over the 2 guys again, this time they shot at the ducks and they were out of range. I was flippin mad as heck now! :pissed: I wanted to walk over there and sock their lights out! I don't hunt public land too often. But every time I have I've always came across guys like these 2 fools. If guys are calling at ducks and I clearly see they are working for the guys, I don't sit there and call at them from the bottom of my lungs to try to pull them away or shoot at them if they fly over my head on a pass. What kind of stuff is that?! Thanks for listening to my gripe....
duckydoo
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:05 pm

Find a spot where there are not as many people.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby duckydoo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:58 pm

There were 3 people total on the entire area counting me. It was the 2 fools and I.
duckydoo
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:18 pm

Ducky - i feel your pain and share your sentiments. i too hunt a public WMA and have to deal with 11 blinds on a lake with hunters approx. 100 yards to each side of me. as much as i would like to find out what sort of sounds a 200.00 competition duck call makes when blown rectally, i have to remind myself that when hunting on public access WMA's or refuge systems, one has to take the good with the bad. the good being access to large numbers of ducks in a managed area....the bad being idiots who view their duck calls as some sort of musical instrument or home sound system...and much like the punk kid in the lowered honda civic with the 10,000.00 stereo system, he feels it necessary that everyone within a 5 mile radius here his music. nevermind that he is the ONLY one around who listens to that crap.

ust a little over a week ago i was witnessing the not-to-uncommon occurance of a group of "hunters" doing their very best to scream at a pair of mallard drakes that wanted nothing more than to land in their dekes. after 3 attempts..and being blown out 3 times, they finally came over and landed in front of me...my calls never left my blind bag.

three things in life we will all have to deal with. Death, Taxes, and Idiots on public land. no sense getting all bent out of shape about it.

PS. if you do actually insert some duck calls into an idiots rectum, please post pics. :toofunny:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:37 pm

I hunt public here in Utah, and it is the same way more often than it should be there is a lot of public marsh. I have asked them to hunt with me before that has mixed success depending on who the guys are. Sometimes it works out other times they are just plain jerks. I have mostly just come to the conclusion that it is something that from time to time I will have to deal with as long as I am hunting public ground. I just kind of put it on the challenges of hunting waterfowl list, and work as hard as I can to avoid that situation. what can you do? I guess we could rid the world of dumb$$$es that would solve the problem.lol :eek:

Bret
Bret
hunter

public hunts

Postby texas_quackwakker » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:28 pm

If I may offer my two cents...this may sound crazy but when I hunt on large public lands/waters, I leave my calls in the truck.

I think that the ducks get a bit call shy and stay away, I hunt alot at lake Bardwell in Ennis Texas just south of Dallas. I think everyone who hunts there just bought a call and goes there to learn how to use it.

When I do call...I have learned that less is more.

But, that is just my personal experience.
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Re: public hunts

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:57 pm

texas_quackwakker wrote:If I may offer my two cents...this may sound crazy but when I hunt on large public lands/waters, I leave my calls in the truck.

I think that the ducks get a bit call shy and stay away, I hunt alot at lake Bardwell in Ennis Texas just south of Dallas. I think everyone who hunts there just bought a call and goes there to learn how to use it.

When I do call...I have learned that less is more.

But, that is just my personal experience.

:salude:

yup...the smart hunter knows that the most important rule of calling is when NOT to call. especially on pressured ducks.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:55 am

PS. if you do actually insert some duck calls into an idiots rectum, please post pics.

:laughing: :laughing: :mrgreen: :smile: :thumbsup:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:19 pm

Sadly that's what you have to look forward to when hunting public land......I've been there done that.....I hate it when some people don't have enough respect for others and set up on top of you.
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:08 pm

I don't call unless the birds react to it. Usually the guys there are already blowing enough hail calls and other stuff for 3-4 other groups. I have been out there on days where the call saved the hunt. Bozos were calling them off of us and then nobody was shooting them. We started calling them off of them and killed everything in sight. Public hunting can be great nad it has been this year. Mostly it sucks when people are elbow to elbow. Usually the morons see my local tag and get as close to me as possible. I guess the figure I am where the birds will be which I usually am.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Keith S. » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:20 pm

We hunt mostly public here in Nebraska and this happens all the time. I can't say that I don't do that, because I do, but alot of times, people like to set up within 100 yards of us. We learned more sounds and when to use them, cajun squeal, lone some hen, work like you can't believe.
Keith S.
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:50 pm

get deeper into the swamp, and those idiots will chase the ducks right to you. we have run into this alot, and we immediately move, and set up just a few dekes in a place towards were the ducks are flaring to. then we hold back on the calls, save for a few chuckles and BLAMMO.............then we walk back out of the swamp right past the morons and prominently hold up our limits before playing taps on the call and departing
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Re: calling ducks on public land

Postby duck killer instict » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:21 pm

I LIVE IN WISCONSIN AND SO MY DAD A COUPLE OF BUDDIES AND I GO TO THE PUBLIC MARSH AND WE FOUND OUT THAT NOT CALLING ENDS UP BEING THE BEST CHOICE BECAUSE THIS PLACE GETS SHOT UP SO BAD THAT THEY GET SPOOKED BY CALLS SO IF YOU HAVE A ROBO DUCK THEY WILL COME IN TO YOU.
HOPE THIS HELPS WITH YOUR PUBLIC HUNTING
if it flys, it dies
duck killer instict
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum