Newbie questions

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Newbie questions

Postby TWP » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:07 am

Hey Duck Calling Experts,

I am a senior at Texas Tech in Lubbock and being new to the forum and duck hunting I was curious as to what kinds and number of calls I should use most of the time. A couple of my buddies are big time hunters and they have all sorts of calls. However, they both said all I need is a mallard, whistle and a goose call. What do all of you think? How about suggestions for a poor college kid. I already have a Duck Commander call that one of them gave to me for a mallard call. Also, how is the best way to learn calling, and how do I get a hold of them? Thanks a lot guys. I've hunted absolutely everything and I absolutely love this crazy, cold and wet game!!!!
TWP
hunter

Postby ibhuntin » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:37 pm

I personally have 2 mallard calls (DC Smoke and Ole Raspy) the Smoke is my Highballer and Raspy is my more quiet call, then I have a whistle (DC also) and a Big River Flute goose call.
***All your waterfowl are belong to me***
ibhuntin
hunter

Postby KO » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:22 pm

Personally I carry 2 mallard calls,,,both of them I made...one is a single the other a double reed for close in work...As far as goose calls...again I carry one of mine and its a short reed...I think a short reed is the only way to go...you can Canadas, snows, and specks with the same call....
KO
hunter

Postby TXwaterfowler » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Yep the best thing to carry right now would be a double reed Mallard call I carry just one and thats the Ole Raspy by Buck Gardner the the whistle and goose call wouldnt be to bad to bring but i wouldnt blow on them until you have a moderate skill to blow them. A lot of "whistle ducks" are very pitcular on the call and respond skidish if the presentation isnt right.

And geese are very hard to get down when your just making a honk go trough the call. I've called for a long time and still havent mastered the goose calling princpals. because i cant give up that tradional grunting and diaphram calling :toofunny: hope this helps somewhat
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby REDLEGGER » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:53 am

sounds like your going in the right direction. I do think that starting out the single reed is easier to blow. i carry 3 malard calls just because i like to change tones and sometimes they respond better to certain calls on certain days. but I have had a primos sure shot for 25 yrs and it seems to be the 1 I use the most. i do carrie a goose call and the whistle (which I use to help set those wings) as for calling there are many tapes and CD's out here any that you can listen too that will help in understanding how to call.and it takes practice, practice. the one thing you should learn quick is to pay attension to the ducks and listen to what sounds they are making and try to minic them and when all else fails DON'T CALL sometime silence is golden! :thumbsup: "take a kid hunting you will never regret it"
" take a kid hunting you will never regret it"

" God, FAMILY, HUNTING IN THAT ORDER"
REDLEGGER
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:57 pm

Amateur waterfowler here. Just got a goose call and was practicing in the kitchen. Is it a bad sign when my weimaraner starts howling when I practice? LOL
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum