mvp / original,need help

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

mvp / original,need help

Postby Juca » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:50 am

is there a significant difference between them or? talking about both stock calls not competition tuned. how much air mvp takes to make it run compared to an original? which one got a better bottom and which one is better HUNTING call? both acrylic
Juca
hunter

Re: mvp / original,need help

Postby jrode237 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:14 am

The MVP can do everything the original does, but better IMO. If you are a proficient call operator go with the MVP as it has a much larger upside in that there is no replacement for that extra volume some days.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:16 am

Before trying a MVP it was my perception that it being "a contest call" meant it required a more skilled operator than hunting calls, but that has not been my experience. I've found it easier, and more fun, to run than most other calls, to include the Original, which isn't nearly as versatile. The MVP has been my primary hunting call for the past eight or nine seasons, while a number of others have come and gone. (Or like my older Daisy Cutter and hedge SB, sit the bench by virtue of being too nice to pass along but not effective enough to replace the MVP.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Juca » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:21 am

Rick Hall wrote:Before trying a MVP it was my perception that it being "a contest call" meant it required a more skilled operator than hunting calls, but that has not been my experience. I've found it easier, and more fun, to run than most other calls, to include the Original, which isn't nearly as versatile. The MVP has been my primary hunting call for the past eight or nine seasons, while a number of others have come and gone. (Or like my older Daisy Cutter and hedge SB, sit the bench by virtue of being too nice to pass along but not effective enough to replace the MVP.)

how much air mvp takes for a basic quak compared to original,i dont want something you have to blow like it's a cutdown :lol3:
Juca
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:35 am

I don't still own an Original for side by side comparison, but doubt you'd notice any difference at all on basic quacks or series. The MVP has the same .010 reed thickness as the Original and most other calls, while cutdowns usually have .014 reeds that require more air or a different presentation of it.

In addition to my stock MVP, I also have one that Butch over-bored for a fellow wanting the loudest possible hunting call, and it, too, is easier to run (without changing my normal air presentation) than the three cutdowns I've had. Only time air becomes an issue with that over-bored MVP is when I've had to get on it loud and long to break distant birds and sometimes lacked the wind to stay on them hard to keep from losing them back to their original destination. With the standard MVP, I've no problem doing what it takes to break those "too far" birds and horse them on in, when need be.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Juca » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:46 am

thanks Rick :beer:
Juca
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum