Beginner calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Beginner calls

Postby Dylan brown » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Do y'all think a beginner can sound and learn better on the high end 130 dollar calls than a 20 dollar one
Dylan brown
Newb

Re: Beginner calls

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:52 pm

$20 call will kill you just as many ducks as the $130 acrylic call.A ton of hunters have started out on the cheap poly calls and eventually moved on to a higher dollar acrylic or wood call.
Some tend to believe the higher dollar call will make you want to practice more and in turn become a better call operator.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Dylan brown wrote:Do y'all think a beginner can sound and learn better on the high end 130 dollar calls than a 20 dollar one

DR-85 by Haydel's. Any other advise is foolish!! In all seriousness, are you a competition caller or a duck slayer?? Why spend $130+ on a call when a $20-$25 call will get you the sounds you need and it won't absolutely break your heart should you drop it in the water.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:48 am

If the next guy says he can kill just as many birds with an inexpensive call as a higher end one, I'm not going to argue with him. Maybe he's pegged out within the call's capabilities, or maybe he's found an inexpensive alternative I've missed or knows how to get more out of one than I do.

But I certainly don't believe my hunters would kill as many ducks over any of the less expensive calls I've used in the past as they do over the more expensive and more versatile ones I now use. I do not believe there's much, if any, difference in those calls' effectiveness, much less a significant one, most days. On other days, however, the greater ranges afforded by truly higher end calls can shine in hands that know how to apply them - which a beginner will not.

Especially this close to the season, and if money's an issue, I'd advise beginning with one of the better inexpensive calls that make it relatively easy to sound enough like a duck that you'll have the confidence to use it freely enough to begin learning the tactical, when to do what, part of the game that's much more important than mastering the nuances of tone.

Then, if you decide you want to advance the technical side of your game to its utmost, you can experiment with other calls and work on that between seasons.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:31 am

scruggs12 wrote:
Dylan brown wrote:Do y'all think a beginner can sound and learn better on the high end 130 dollar calls than a 20 dollar one

DR-85 by Haydel's. Any other advise is foolish!! In all seriousness, are you a competition caller or a duck slayer?? Why spend $130+ on a call when a $20-$25 call will get you the sounds you need and it won't absolutely break your heart should you drop it in the water.

It's the status brother! OP....go buy you a rnt short barrel....you'll thank me later
sooner737
hunter

Postby Ctriviere » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 am

Dr-85 best call Ever. It's cheap and it's great. It's a good call for beginners and also people who have been Calling for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Ctriviere
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:06 pm

scruggs12 wrote:

X2
:-)
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm a big fan of the Buck Gardner Double Nasty II. Great cheap beginner call and sounds as good as most of the high end double reeds.
coach_1
hunter

Postby Juca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:13 am

quackhead j frame :bow:
Juca
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:03 pm

I'd try a buck gardner call. There are several acrylic models clearanced now at cabelas online for $15. I wanted to upgrade calls so I bought a buck nasty and spitfire. Should be in this week hopefully. I blew a buck nasty a month ago at an outdoor expo and it was easy to blow and sounded nice. I almost bought it then but was glad I waited and found a sale.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:06 pm

A new duck caller should go with a double reed call. Many of those mentioned are good. Just easier to control. Probably go through many different brands/calls before finding the RIGHT one. A good quality single will be more versatile with experience. An expensive call doesn't equal more ducks- a great duck caller does. It's not the arrow but the Indian!
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 am

Anoldhuntersc wrote:A new duck caller should go with a double reed call. Many of those mentioned are good. Just easier to control. Probably go through many different brands/calls before finding the RIGHT one. A good quality single will be more versatile with experience. An expensive call doesn't equal more ducks- a great duck caller does. It's not the arrow but the Indian!

As a native American I can assure you that it's hard to kill a buffalo with a blunt tipped arrow.
sooner737
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Before worrying about how much a call is, find where the ducks want to be. And some days very little calling is better than lots of calling.

Location. :thumbsup:

DR-85 or most of the affordable Haydel calls are a good product(s) to start with. Still have my 85 and use it.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby callinfowl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 am

Hard to beat a $25.00 Echo ploy Timber you can buy one complete call in double reed ,then just buy a extra insert with a single reed for like $6.00 that way you can see if you like the double or single reed calls better for just over $30.00 .
A lot of really good duck killers still blow Echo poly calls or calls with Echo poly inserts in them. :yes:
Don't overlook poly Winglock calls either. :thumbsup:
A good poly call will call ducks just as often as a high dollar wood or acrylic call will 99.9% of the time.
Learn to blow a poly call first to see if you can get the hang of it, use it until you feel like you need more call, or just want a nicer call. :thumbsup:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum