Daisy Cutter sticks

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Daisy Cutter sticks

Postby meatslayer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 am

Im a spitter. Is there somthing to put on the reed, or tricks that will keep it from sticking? Thanks.
meatslayer
hunter

Re: Daisy Cutter sticks

Postby jrode237 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 am

The first thing I would do is make absolutely certain that the reed is in it the right way. I just picked up a pair of blackout cutters and one of them had the reed in upside down (direct from RNT/Cabelas). The most effective method will be learning to spit less, and it takes time. Besides that, keeping a fresh cork handy would be my next trick. You can try to run the call with the tonedoard on top (reed facing down to alleviate some of the sticking issues). One last trick is to put an ever so slight bend on the tip of the reed, but it can affect the calls tone so start with a longer reed and trim it down. Personally, under no circumstances would I "treat" the reed with anything designed to shed water. Take a look at the bottle for any of those products....... chances are they have a "contact poison control" message on them and it is for good reason.
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Keep the tip of your tongue anchored behind the bottom row of your teeth and gate the note with the middle part of your tongue as opposed to with the tip :thumbsup: This won't push spit into the call :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby dso190 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 pm

mayhem96 wrote:Keep the tip of your tongue anchored behind the bottom row of your teeth and gate the note with the middle part of your tongue as opposed to with the tip :thumbsup: This won't push spit into the call :thumbsup:

This technique also helped me hit some decent hail calls for the first time. Always been a struggle until I tried this.
dso190
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Vegetable oil a paper towel , run it between tone board and reed then over top of reed . Prior posts are correct but this will help for a quick fix before the hunt .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 am

mayhem96 wrote:Keep the tip of your tongue anchored behind the bottom row of your teeth and gate the note with the middle part of your tongue as opposed to with the tip :thumbsup: This won't push spit into the call :thumbsup:

This is the ticket. It took me a few days to get this down and still make the sounds I could when my toungue was wild. But in the end you can call good and not stick them. :thumbsup:
Joetpr
hunter

Postby HybridMachine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 am

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Get rid of the Stick 'n' Tone :thumbsup:
Learn how to run it.......
HybridMachine
hunter

Postby HybridMachine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:36 am

Nothing more frustrating then a call sticking in the field, heck even at home :fingerhead:
HybridMachine
hunter

Postby meatslayer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

Joetpr wrote:

This is the ticket. It took me a few days to get this down and still make the sounds I could when my toungue was wild. But in the end you can call good and not stick them. :thumbsup:

I have Tried running the call upside down which i Believe someone metioned in the first or second post. This has seemed to cut the reed sticking down by 50% or so. Thanks. as far as keeping my tounge tuck behind my bottom teath I already do that. Other than when im tikka tikka feeding chatter... Which im beggining to realize is when the spit realy pours into the call... Is it possible to run that feedding chatter with a "tucked tounge"? Thanks guys, like I said I've already cut my sticking down by 50% or more thanks to your replies. :smile:
meatslayer
hunter

Postby Blackmallard40 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:28 pm

I like the sound of some of the RNT bands but all of there calls stick. I got tired of trying all these fancy high dollar brands. I broke down and bought a JJ Lares. Best money spent. WILL NOT STICK!!!
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby Blackmallard40 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby HybridMachine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 pm

They Call Ducks and Win Contest as Well :thumbsup: :yes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2CHTif4Ea8
HybridMachine
hunter

Postby quackin247365 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 am

HybridMachine wrote::lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Get rid of the Stick 'n' Tone :thumbsup:

quackin247365
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Generally speaking, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Not one thing wrong with RNT calls. To say they all stick is just retarded.

To the OP, you've been given a number of good things to try. I would add that if you just can't get it to stop sticking yet, and need it in the field, apply a thin coat of Rain-X to the reed and toneboard (take the reed out to do this) and let it dry. Reassemble. It won't kill you unless maybe you drink the bottle, idk. If your problem was that you kept choking on or swallowing the reed, then I might be worried about the rain x. But, generally, stuff comes out of the mouth and into the call, not the other way around. I used to slobber in a call too and the rain x kept them from sticking. You'll have to reapply occasionally. In the meantime keep trying, you'll get to where you won't stick it. I don't use rain x anymore, finally got to where I wasn't sticking them. Not just RNT, every call I can recall trying except for Haydels I could stick.
talltimber
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Send it back and have RNT fix it so it won't stick on you ! :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby HybridMachine » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:05 pm

They should just send the calls with a little pack of "Rain-X" instead of a reed/cork :huh: :lol3: :lol3:
HybridMachine
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Blackmallard40 wrote:I like the sound of some of the RNT bands but all of there calls stick. I got tired of trying all these fancy high dollar brands. I broke down and bought a JJ Lares. Best money spent. WILL NOT STICK!!!

Actually yes they will. I can stick a Lares call just as fast as an RNT.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
Blackmallard40 wrote:I like the sound of some of the RNT bands but all of there calls stick. I got tired of trying all these fancy high dollar brands. I broke down and bought a JJ Lares. Best money spent. WILL NOT STICK!!!

Actually yes they will. I can stick a Lares call just as fast as an RNT.

I have seen Trevor stick a Lares because he stuck mine :lol3: :lol3:

Yes, ALL duck calls stick but from my limited experience, Lares are very hard duck calls to stick :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby nearicefarmer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Archangel by C&S is the closes thing to non stick Ive come across... Great design!!! Spit grooves that actually drain into the tone bore and does not puddle under reed.
nearicefarmer
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum