Need your help, Cut Down questions

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Need your help, Cut Down questions

Postby mustang6 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Been looking at buying a cut down call and wanted to ask you your thoughts and need your expertise :)
What's the difference between a Louisiana cut and an Arkansas cut?
What's the difference in styles between a PS Olt, DJ Grafton, and a Black Monster (round or key hole, tone board cut, etc)? It seems they all reference Kirk McCullough's name. Can someone explain differences?
Please provide your thoughts on these calls; i.e. is one louder than the other, takes more air to run, rasp, general thoughts, etc.
Also, I've been thinking about buying an old P.S. Olt and I've heard guys sending them in to someone and have them custom cut their call. Any advice on where to send one or who to contact on this? I think it would be cool to have an old Olt and have it custom cut.
I know everyone has their general preferences and just wanted to hear your remarks.
Your help is much appreciated and thanks in advance!
-Jeff
mustang6
hunter

Re: Need your help, Cut Down questions

Postby WTN10 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Kirk McCullough just cuts a ton of different type of calls. He is only one of many who do so and many people prefer other guys cuts.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby BSODduckhunter15 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Ok, so to answer bits & pieces of your question: I own several different types of cut downs. The easiest to blow is a BSOD. Original Cut is what I blow and I like it a lot. Colt 45 is the LA cut. Toneboard has a 45 angle on it making it super raspy. Both are great calls that you can not only learn on but continue to advance on and use. I own a DJ cut by Kirk Mc & it takes some air and is super loud. Black monster is a D2 replica that is pretty accurate. As far as buying uncuts & sending them in, it's just a preference deal. Also, I'd try an RNT DC Mondo. I like them as well.
BSODduckhunter15
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 pm

They are ALL d2 replicas and they all can be cut to suit someones personal calling style, eg: the LA cut can be made to be super smooth rather than raspy....
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum