Old vs New

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Old vs New

Postby Otter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Good Evening,

I am returning to duck hunting after a many year hiatus and am wondering what I am missing in not buying new calls. When I was young I was fortunate to be introduced to duck hunting in some fantastic northern California riparian land. At the time, I had hand me down calls from uncles and my grandfather, to this day I call on what I believe to be an old (15-20 years old) JJ Lares call (it looks nothing like the Lares calls of today, but I was told my uncle won it at a DU raffle at some point, it is black acrylic). My uncle swore by his Lohman, which I believe now to be a # 103. To this day, my brother still swears by this call. He admits that he cannot hit loud hail calls with it, but loves everything else about it.

At the time, being quite young (ages 8-14 maybe?) I had a hard enough time learning to run a duck call, let alone having any opinion as to what was good or not. Now getting back into calling, I am becoming a proficient field caller through practice (still working on a good feed call) and am wondering what if anything I am missing in 20 years of calling "technology". I have heard great things about the Lares hybrid, and the RNT daisy cutter (among other RNT). So what am I missing for $100+ of my hard earned? I know many of you are collectors, or want the latest and greatest, but really I am mostly interested in making ducks cup their wings in my general direction.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Otter
hunter

Re: Old vs New

Postby norcalweaz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:29 pm

I would love to see a pic of that old lares. I run a hybrid for the most part and it's a do everything call. Their t1 is right there with it. I havnt been into the calling world for a long time but I would assume not much has changed other than a few materials, some tunings and people trying to reinvent the wheel. They're all a reed, toneboard, somewhere for air to go in and a spot for it to come out as sound. There are a lot of great calls out there tho so have fun exploring.
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby Otter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply NorCal, here's a pic of the call l believe to be an old Lares

I've had some fun this week, ordered a bunch of old calls on eBay, and have been playing with them. This is definitely giving me more insight to calls that "require more air" and calls with more back pressure.

One thing I have noticed is that the wooden calls I have blown often to sound like a toy if given the wrong amount of air or have the reed tuned incorrectly, whereas the acrylic lares sounds raspy and nasty with even an improperly blown quack. Is this inherent in wood calls vs. acrylic? If so, I may be starting to see some value in the material change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1380411533.775210.jpg
Otter
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:04 pm

That is indeed a good ol' fashioned Lares...great call :bow: :bow:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 pm

That lares is sweet and in great condition. Would be hard to hunt that call. Hard to beat a short barrel or xlt for high end easy to run calls. The new lares are great but at a premium price and I can't get used to the small size especially in colder temps. Then again I grew up hunting southern California and mexico and I killed more ducks with a wigeon whistle than I ever did with a mallard call.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Otter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks Mayhem,

Can you tell me anything more about it? Years produced? What I might see as a difference between it and some of his newer designs (T-1 or hybrid)?
Otter
hunter

Postby Otter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Normmcclean wrote:That lares is sweet and in great condition. Would be hard to hunt that call. Hard to beat a short barrel or xlt for high end easy to run calls. The new lares are great but at a premium price and I can't get used to the small size especially in colder temps. Then again I grew up hunting southern California and mexico and I killed more ducks with a wigeon whistle than I ever did with a mallard call.

Thanks Norm,

I assume by short barrel you mean the RNT call, who makes the XLT you're talking about?

This call sat in our hunting closet for years and I happened to pull it out one day and took a liking to it. Have hunted with it for the last 2 years. I will say, playing with the older wooden calls, I really like the size of their barrel better than the Lares.

Anyone have an idea what model it is?
Otter
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Otter wrote:Thanks Mayhem,

Can you tell me anything more about it? Years produced? What I might see as a difference between it and some of his newer designs (T-1 or hybrid)?

I am not real familiar with Joe's older calls but there are some guys on here that may know more. I wish I could be of more help :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Otter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:23 pm

mayhem96 wrote:

I am not real familiar with Joe's older calls but there are some guys on here that may know more. I wish I could be of more help :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

Well, I work in Chico a few days a month, the more I think about it, I should just give him a call, and head over to see him. :duh:
Otter
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 am

That call is perfect. I think an a2 tho I'm also not too familiar with the old lares tho that call is gold. I've been addicted to lares for a while and havnt got my hands on any older ones just yet. I did the same thing with the eBay call assortment then after messing with those moved up baught some ducklanders, ccc, rnt, echo, and lares. Top makers for me are lares, ccc, and ducklander. The only calls I really rotate anymore. Calls are like underwear everyone has their favorite. I know a lot of guys running old wood or poly calls that just don't like anything else. What works just works. Good luck in your search n let us know what joe tells ya.
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:35 am

Otter wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:

Well, I work in Chico a few days a month, the more I think about it, I should just give him a call, and head over to see him. :duh:

You are lucky...just take the credit card to Lares Land...I want to go sooooo bad :yes: :yes:
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum