putting a lanyard together

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

putting a lanyard together

Postby h20fouler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:53 pm

So I have been hunting for about 10 years now and I never really tried to learn to call because other people were really good and there wasn't really a need for it. Last year I really worked on learning to call and as of now I would give myself a 3/5. I have been using an old call my dad gave me that has no markings and is pretty worn out. I replaced the cork and reed before I started using it but I would really like to get some better calls.

I know they won't make me the best caller in the world, but you can't win a race driving a beater. What would yall suggest I fill my lanyard with. I want a goose call, preferably under $75 but I was wondering if it really helps to have two mallard calls; one loud call to get their attention and one softer call for close working. I hunt lake shore, marsh, and farm ponds if that helps. I am not looking for beginning calls like a quackhead or dr-85 either. Lastly I would like to stay under $100 per call.
h20fouler
Newb

Re: putting a lanyard together

Postby awc16 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Give basin calls a look. They make few good duck calls for under $100. I got the double take and really like mine.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
awc16
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 pm

I like lares,ccc, and ducklander. For 100 and under you can't beat ducklander. As for two different calls I just commented on another post about getting good with one call to do everything. Probably a little tougher than getting a high ball and a quiet double reed but when you can keep on the same call start to finish its worth the work.
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby mtessar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:46 pm

echo makes some great calls. just bought a bois d'arc single reed timber call. sounds great and 80 bucks so not too expensive. can get very quiet
mtessar
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:59 pm

You can get most of the higher end calls used for under a 100

Spray and Pray
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Landonmeeks23 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I use an echo diamond wood double reed. Usually wasn't a fan of double reeds but my brother got it for me for Christmas and I really like it. It's pretty versatile as well. I hunt mostly fields but I have used it in timber and it works great. But I always recommend blowing a call before you buy and see what you like best. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Landonmeeks23
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum